gas fireplace

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
My wife has decided she would like a gas fireplace in the basement. One of those you see at Lowe's or hd.
Anyone have one? Vented, ventless, direct vent?
It has to go on a interior wall.
We have a storage room on the other side that is finished in osb. Also have drop ceiling so I could run a vent to the exterior.
We heat with an outdoor wood boiler. But she likes the ambience???? Am I using that in the right context? Also if the power goes out for a short time I don't have to hook up the generator.

No sir I have wood here. My mom has one you cut on with a light switch and that thing doesn't put ANY heat out just for show.

danl":2hn8zhrx said:
My wife has decided she would like a gas fireplace in the basement. One of those you see at Lowe's or hd.
Anyone have one? Vented, ventless, direct vent?
It has to go on a interior wall.
We have a storage room on the other side that is finished in osb. Also have drop ceiling so I could run a vent to the exterior.
We heat with an outdoor wood boiler. But she likes the ambience???? Am I using that in the right context? Also if the power goes out for a short time I don't have to hook up the generator.

We have a vent free FP in the house we bought last year and I thought I'd hate it but it actually warms the room and burns natural gas.

Got a ventless and its either to hot or to cold not much in between. If I were in a colder climate it may be different. It is convenient and this house was heated with it for the first 40 years. It will suck the propane.

I have a ventless one. I love it. Heats the room up faster and better than wood because the heat is coming into the room instead of going up the chimney. Also for down here where the mornings can be frosty but the day warms fast you can cut the fire off when it gets to cold. Mine's twelve years old and I've had no problems. I do clean it every fall before I use it. This is just blowing the dust off of it with with one of those cans of compressed air like you use on computers. I work with loggers and getting wood is easy for me. It was the loggers who recommended that I get the gas. I'm glad I did.

M5farm":1bi8lhw3 said:
Got a ventless and its either to hot or to cold not much in between. If I were in a colder climate it may be different. It is convenient and this house was heated with it for the first 40 years. It will suck the propane.

M5 if it's 40 years old you may want to upgrade. Also how big of a room is it in.

Deepsouth":3b2un8wj said:
M5farm":3b2un8wj said:

M5 if it's 40 years old you may want to upgrade. Also how big of a room is it in.
25 x 15 it works fine. It just gets the room 2 hot.

Our basement is always too cold for my wife. I really can't figure out why, the heat exchanger for the boiler is down there and you would think that in itself would give off a lot of heat.
We just built the house two years ago and had the hvac guy back and didn't get any answers.
We don't intend to heat with it we just like watch tv in the basement and we want fast heat, then turn it off when we go back upstairs.
I have a 65" proj tv and big entertainment center I'm gonna lose out of the deal.
She wants to replace it with a oak fireplace and hang a 46" led above it. Upside I will have more room to hang deer mounts....
She also wants Duck Dynasty camo furniture. I was shocked.

Ours has a thermostat and I hate it. There are some fumes that leak out every time it cuts off and on. If I had a do over I would just get one that burns constant at low, med or high.

I have had this ventless since 2000 and after using it, I saw quickly my wood burning days were over. I burn bought 4 100lbs tanks a year as a backup to the heat pump and it works great. The thermostat kicks on when is gets real cold or I turn it on to warm the house quick usually of the mornings as I turn the heat pump down during the night.

001zxt.jpg

That is a nice looking fireplace jltrent. I think that is what she wants.

I appreciate all the input, evidently folks in the northern part of the U.S. don't have these. Or they aren't as willing to help me as the folks down south :D

I consider myself part of the south but I guess that is debatable since I live about 20 miles north west of the bootheel, in MO.

We have several vent free fireplaces/stoves( all with thermostat) scattered through out the house. we heat most of the house with a wood burning Lennox Hearth fireplace insert; the fireplaces/ heaters are just for zone heating. I particularly love the remote controlled fire place in our bedroom because I love to sleep with the temps cool but want it to be warm when I get up in the morning. We've purchased ours at Lowes, Home Depot and the local propane company. I haven't heated with my central heat in year, just turn it on a couple of times a year to make sure it's working in case we needed it.

We have a direct vent fireplace that I put in a few years ago and we love it. They don't put out as much heat as the ventless ones does but they do pretty good.

Pricefarm, that really looks good. Did you build it yourself or was it a kit?
What size vent pipe did you use?
I would like to have ventless for the efficiency,but
I have a friend that says his wife can't stand the smell of his ventless fireplace. Maybe his isn't adjusted right.

I just noticed you have willow tree figurines on your mantle. Or a least they look like them.
My wife says your fireplace is beautiful. And she has a whole collection of willow tree.

danl":2xbtvbnq said:
Pricefarm, that really looks good. Did you build it yourself or was it a kit?
What size vent pipe did you use?
I would like to have ventless for the efficiency,but
I have a friend that says his wife can't stand the smell of his ventless fireplace. Maybe his isn't adjusted right.

It's not if they are smelling gas. The only time mine smells is when the tank is low and about to run out.

this is ours it has to be vented it runs on natural gas, I was ironing in front of it that day, it gives out enough heat to warm a 27 foot long 13 foot wide room. the surround is from 1920's built in the house when first built.

Chrisy, that is very nice. However, this is going in my "supposed" man cave and the floral is pretty but I can't tarnish my image with a feminine touch :D
Do you use that iron in the floor or is that for looks?

It was kinda a kit it came with the firebox and logs I framed everything up around it and layed the rock. The top part is old barn wood boards from my wife's aunts old barn that fell down. I think the the vent pipe is around 12" there are two pipes in one the center on is the one that vents the fumes and the outer one is the one that brings in the air needed to burn. We went with the direct vent because my wife has allergys and the smell from the ventless ones bothers her. Ya I think those are willow tree figures that's my wife's decoration. The old rusted barb wire on top helps man it back up a bit lol !!

danl":2lcfpoa7 said:
Chrisy, that is very nice. However, this is going in my "supposed" man cave and the floral is pretty but I can't tarnish my image with a feminine touch :D
Do you use that iron in the floor or is that for looks?
The iron on the floor is for looks, it was my Nana's from victorian times.

Latest posts