gas and corn price 1961

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr Somn, First learn how to spell, GLYPHOSATE, then google glyphosate at "home.howstuffworks.com" This is so simple, easy for little kids to understand.

With that Mr Somn, I say farewell for now. :wave:

mnmtranching":2r2vwn67 said:
More about corn and wheat.

With the increased demand for corn, the crop has pushed farther and farther to the North and West into traditional Wheat country. Where once was amber waves of grain now has field after field of corn destined for the ethanol plants. With the pressure from corn, Wheat is now being planted on what was once pasture and hay land adding to the already short supplies of livestock forage. Look for 08 Hay supplies to be at record prices, because of pressure put on other crops by the burgeoning corn/ ethanol industry.
one acre is still one acre regardless of where it is located mnmtranching. Wheat acres have increased for the last three consecutive years. You can try to spin it whatever way you want the proof is there for everyone to read. According to you wheat planted on pasture and hay land will be adding to already short supplies of livestock forage. The only information you have provided is showing us where the additional acres of wheat are coming from. Hay and pasture land. They haven't begun to make ethanol out of wheat yet but they might. Did you even throw the grenade that time or just let it blow up in your hand? Or were you painting again? If you were painting you must have been using one of those lightening fast air painters because you got yourself in the corner fast on that one.

mnmtranching":6j0exxjm said:
Mr Somn, First learn how to spell, GLYPHOSATE, then google glyphosate at "home.howstuffworks.com" This is so simple, easy for little kids to understand.

With that Mr Somn, I say farewell for now. :wave:
I maybe can't spell it but at the very least I know enough to know it doesn't wear off how about you?

mnmtranching":2xdbc2co said:
This is so simple, easy for little kids to understand
Roundup is a contact killing herbicide with no residual control. Even little kids can understand according to you yet you seem to stuggle with understanding it. What you will need to do is find a little kid to read it to you.

somn":mwk9hheh said:
mnmtranching":mwk9hheh said:

With the increased demand for corn, the crop has pushed farther and farther to the North and West into traditional Wheat country. Where once was amber waves of grain now has field after field of corn destined for the ethanol plants. With the pressure from corn, Wheat is now being planted on what was once pasture and hay land adding to the already short supplies of livestock forage. Look for 08 Hay supplies to be at record prices, because of pressure put on other crops by the burgeoning corn/ ethanol industry.
one acre is still one acre regardless of where it is located mnmtranching. Wheat acres have increased for the last three consecutive years. You can try to spin it whatever way you want the proof is there for everyone to read. According to you wheat planted on pasture and hay land will be adding to already short supplies of livestock forage. The only information you have provided is showing us where the additional acres of wheat are coming from. Hay and pasture land. They haven't begun to make ethanol out of wheat yet but they might. Did you even throw the grenade that time or just let it blow up in your hand? Or were you painting again? If you were painting you must have been using one of those lightening fast air painters because you got yourself in the corner fast on that one.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about increased grain acres takes away from hay and pasture land and causes less production of hay. Also one acre is not the same as another, pasture and hay land are on average not as fertile as grain land.

auctionboy":357916w7 said:
mnmtranching":357916w7 said:

I don't know what is so hard to understand about increased grain acres takes away from hay and pasture land and causes less production of hay. Also one acre is not the same as another, pasture and hay land are on average not as fertile as grain land.
Well I have proven that Wheat acres have increased over the last three years. If wheat acres are moving farther north and west at least we know where those additional acres of wheat are coming from now don't we. They are coming from hay and pasture land. Seems wheat is responsible for the rising cost of livestock forage. One acre of land is still 43,560 square feet regardless of where it is located. If those wheat farmers want to plant wheat on poor quality pasture and hay ground so they can increase there acres they have that right. If the hay and pasture owners want to keep the acres from going into wheat maybe they need to be willing to spend the extra money to protect those acres from the wheat farmers. The same way every other commodity is trying to keep their acres from switching. Do you think soybean farmers will just give up their acres to wheat producers just to be nice? Heck no they won't they want to make money also. This whole idea of ethanol raising the prices for every type of grain in nonsense it is about demand. Wheat isn't used in ethanol yet look at the demand for wheat. More acres still a higher demand. Soybeans are not used in ethanol yet look at the demand. The entire world is demanding grains the supply is not there. You people seem to think when ethanol fails you will get your cheap grain prices back. It isn't going to happen this demand has not been created by ethanol it is a world problem. Start planning for it. By the time you realize ethanol was not the problem it will be to late for most of you. You will have already failed.

Som's right. Any effect ethanol might have on corn is more psychological than anything. The American farmer has always fed the world and the world is becoming more and more densely populated and can't even start to feed itself. We have higher production per acre than ever but need more and more acres to meet demands. (supply and demand) Population has increased more than a billion since 1995. Somebody's gotta feed'em.

In the meantime folks in countries like China, India, Phillipines, etc. have thrown down their bicycles and bought cars. Oil demand is up tremendously in those countries. It's not just us and OPEC...it's the world and limited supplies of fossil fuel. Don't expect fuel to go down much either. That also means your fertilizer will stay high. Those same countries are buying up huge amounts of fertilizer. (supply and demand). Not to even mention steel, cement and things like that. These countries have become a force to be reckoned with. The USA can no longer demand anything. We take what we can get and at market price. (supply and demand). The shoe is now on the other foot.

The price of Ag commodities (all commodities--grains, oilseeds, pork, beef) is highly elastic. It can change 20% overnight when there is uncertainty.
If ethanol creates a demand for more corn acres, uncertainty is in the house. Then you throw in the increasing demand in the world market and you have a situation that demands attention.

Farming those less productive pasturelands will be a bust in a couple of years, I think, as these markets WILL correct. A big move up in price is never permanent. The farmer in Illinois making 250 bu will survive the downturn. The farmer in SD making 80 bu corn won't survive.

Livestock producers are risking a lot right now. Hog and Cattle prices have not participated in this party. We are gambling that our prices will catch up to grains and oilseeds, and we are shelling out for high priced fertilizer, herbicides, minerals and etc. while we wait.

It takes time to shrink the cowherd, but it will happen. It is happening, about 1 or 2% /yr. I expect that will only accelerate. Folks without jobs aren't going to buy many steaks. Pushing more beef at a higher price into a sluggish market is not a job for the faint-hearted.

Ok, rant over.

Angus/Brangus":191io1pi said:
And, I keep hearing about increased exports of U.S. beef. So one would think we should start seeing higher prices at the sale barn but I have not seen any such thing. Think it's the middlemen, packers or feedyards picking up the extra beef dollars?
Well I tell you what it isn't me picking up the extra dollars. I don't mind passing the dollars along to the cow calf man. Without a cow calf man a feedlot owner has nothing to buy. I need you to help me succeed. Without you I have nothing.

Angus/Brangus":1w8qeynr said:
TexasBred":1w8qeynr said:
Som's right. Any effect ethanol might have on corn is more psychological than anything. The American farmer has always fed the world and the world is becoming more and more densely populated and can't even start to feed itself. We have higher production per acre than ever but need more and more acres to meet demands. (supply and demand) Population has increased more than a billion since 1995. Somebody's gotta feed'em.

In the meantime folks in countries like China, India, Phillipines, etc. have thrown down their bicycles and bought cars. Oil demand is up tremendously in those countries. It's not just us and OPEC...it's the world and limited supplies of fossil fuel. Don't expect fuel to go down much either. That also means your fertilizer will stay high. Those same countries are buying up huge amounts of fertilizer. (supply and demand). Not to even mention steel, cement and things like that. These countries have become a force to be reckoned with. The USA can no longer demand anything. We take what we can get and at market price. (supply and demand). The shoe is now on the other foot.

I think you're dead on here TB. International demand is running hot and heavy for everything from oil to wheat. Those in the U.S that export products are making money because of the devalued dollar. And, I keep hearing about increased exports of U.S. beef. So one would think we should start seeing higher prices at the sale barn but I have not seen any such thing. Think it's the middlemen, packers or feedyards picking up the extra beef dollars?

Who knows the politics of who gets to sell beef to Asian markets, I don't. Something tells me the local auction price isn't going up because those buyers don't have that market to sell to.
I don't understand why somn thinks the soybean producer would have to give up his land instead of planting wheat himself. I do think ethanol can raise the price of all other grains when corn is planted on there acres and there is less of a supply of grains. Foreign markets and the dollar effect it, but mostly corn ethenol. If the government wanted to slow exports couldn't they use tarrifs?

auctionboy":3hwy6suj said:
I do think ethanol can raise the price of all other grains when corn is planted on there acres and there is less of a supply of grains.
Auctionboy I have provided you with all the acerage reports for the last three years for every grain crop planted. The only crops that have lost acres in those three years were corn in 2006. And cotton acres in 2007. If you can't understand that I can not help you it doesn't get any clearer than that it is in black and white.

I don't follow cotton very much so I will not tell you what that commodity price has done in the last three years. The price for all grain crops have risen substantially in the last three years. ETHANOL HAS NOT DECREASED ANY ACRES FOR ANY GRAIN CROPS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS. I'm not sure why some of you have such a difficult time understanding that but some of you sure do. I sometimes think some of you are so blinded by your hatetred for ethanol it gets in the way of logical thinking. In your minds for whatever the reason you have come to the conclusion that ethanol is taking acres away from other grain crops even though it is clearly shown in black and white no acres of any grain crop have been lost in the last three years except for corn acres in 2006. Who shall I blame the loss of those acres on Cattle ranchers for converting those acres to pasture. That wouldn't be right. But neither is blaming ethanol for acres that never even decreased. I don't like ethanol either because the corn I used to buy from the farmer for whatever I offered him now has been replaced by buying ethanol by products for whatever they want to charge me. So is the game of cattle feeding.
Whiners don't get anywhere. I see alot of whiners that are whining about ethanol even though it has nothing to do with the problem they are whining about. Global demand for all grain crops is the reason for your higher prices. If you want blame global demand. Ethanol hasn't taken any acres from any commodity except maybe cotton.

auctionboy":2mn9czw3 said:
I don't understand why somn thinks the soybean producer would have to give up his land instead of planting wheat himself.
I never said I thought the soybean producer should give up his acres to a wheat framer but when the wheat farmer offers the land owner $55 an acre more for rent. The soybean producer either needs to pay up or give it up. Same goes for hay and pasture acres pay up or give up. The demand for acres is coming from every commodity not just corn. We all can see wheat has been increasing it's acres and mnmtranching already has told us wheat is taking them away from hay and pasture. Don't get so blinded by your hatetred for something that it interferes with your judgement. Emotion in the business world will sometimes leave you broke. Ethanol is not to blame anymore than fat people who continue to eat more than they should. They are both creating a demand for a commodity with a low supply.

somn":2nk0wfru said:
auctionboy":2nk0wfru said:
I don't understand why somn thinks the soybean producer would have to give up his land instead of planting wheat himself.
I never said I thought the soybean producer should give up his acres to a wheat framer but when the wheat farmer offers the land owner $55 an acre more for rent. The soybean producer either needs to pay up or give it up. Same goes for hay and pasture acres pay up or give up. The demand for acres is coming from every commodity not just corn. We all can see wheat has been increasing it's acres and mnmtranching already has told us wheat is taking them away from hay and pasture. Don't get so blinded by your hatetred for something that it interferes with your judgement. Emotion in the business world will sometimes leave you broke. Ethanol is not to blame anymore than fat people who continue to eat more than they should. They are both creating a demand for a commodity with a low supply.

Fat people eating more then they should is the problem? Hahaha. I rarely buy any corn and do not hate ethonal, I don't see it as a good idea, but I don't hate it. You said the grain acrage increased, but when the corn price increased many farmers substituted other grains in there rations causing more demand for other grains causing a price increase. If you can't understand that I can not help you it doesn't get any clearer than that it is in black and white. Would you change you ration at your feedlot if one grain went up in price? How about dairy farmers, would they change there rations and cause a greater demand for non corn grains causing a price increase, thats main reason was ethanol? At the mill if a 100# bag of corn meal cost $15.00 and oats, whaet , barely cost $10 for that same #100 people would buy non corn grains and demand would skyrocket and that would drive there prices up. How can you argue with that? As for people that rent land and don't have a lease and someone makes a better offer to the land owner that is the risk they they were taking.

auctionboy":gf5an78l said:
Would you change you ration at your feedlot if one grain went up in price? How about dairy farmers, would they change there rations and cause a greater demand for non corn grains causing a price increase, thats main reason was ethanol? At the mill if a 100# bag of corn meal cost $15.00 and oats, whaet , barely cost $10 for that same #100 people would buy non corn grains and demand would skyrocket and that would drive there prices up.
You maybe should have given this more thought before you replied. Corn is still the cheapest feed stuff of all grains. If you switched to something other than corn in your ration that was your first mistake.

somn":1lvgw6y1 said:
auctionboy":1lvgw6y1 said:
Would you change you ration at your feedlot if one grain went up in price? How about dairy farmers, would they change there rations and cause a greater demand for non corn grains causing a price increase, thats main reason was ethanol? At the mill if a 100# bag of corn meal cost $15.00 and oats, whaet , barely cost $10 for that same #100 people would buy non corn grains and demand would skyrocket and that would drive there prices up.
You maybe should have given this more thought before you replied. Corn is still the cheapest feed stuff of all grains. If you switched to something other than corn in your ration that was your first mistake.
I stand by and believe what I wrote. I didn't say what the prices are now, but what could have changed the prices in the last few years. The circumstance which I wrote is the exact actions that people refer to as supply and demand. Without ethonal I think grain prices wouldn't be so high, but higher then a few years ago. This is all speculation and this is my opinion.

auctionboy":31x79mhs said:
I stand by and believe what I wrote. I didn't say what the prices are now, but what could have changed the prices in the last few years. The circumstance which I wrote is the exact actions that people refer to as supply and demand. Without ethonal I think grain prices would be so high, but higher then a few years ago. This is all speculation and this is my opinion.
At no time did the corn price outpace any other grain in price by feed value. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion but like I said before alot of people are letting their hatetred for ethanol blind them to the real facts. You are all waiting for the ethanol bubble to burst so you can have your cheap grain prices back. That will not happen. Don't wait so long to realize that you were wrong because that might be to late for many.

The corn and bean mkts are so volatile here the elevators have quit posting ''bid'' prices. They will quote the price when you pull on the scales. They are bumping up the trade limits and beans can move over $3 a bushel in a weeks time :eek: This exposes them to a lot of liability if they do not watch there step.

Latest posts