Galloway vs Beefmaster ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me how the two measure up? I have a Galloway bull now but might want to change something bigger. I like my bulls temperment & the meat quality is outstanding. Size is the only thing i want to gain. I've read about the Beefmaster but have never actualy seen one. Can anyone help?

[email protected]

> The only beefmaster herd I know had cows running about 12-1300 lbs were reasonably long and deep bodied, pretty good cows but they were4 red and short haired so the guy took a beating selling calves, went black and made more money on feeders that wern't near as nice or as easy to keep.

[email protected]

If you're concerned about meat quality, I wouldn't consider Beefmaster. Higher quality beef is more likely to be tender than lower quality grade beef. I've seen quite a few ultrasound reports on Beefmaster bulls and their marbling is not good. I'd look for an Angus bull with high marbling EPDs. Good luck...

[email protected]

Beefmaster (50% Brahamn-25% Hereford-25% Shorthorn, or any cross of Brahman-European bred, the thing is that it should be 50% Brahman. If you could find a 50% Nelore instead of Brahman I assure it will be a taller bull.

[email protected]

If you have galloways you have the frame already in your cattle. Beefmasters are generally used to put a larger frame into someones herd. Right now you want to increase the height. i recomend a European breed. Then when you have size i'd try a Chianina. their calves are slimline and the calves heads are small so calving problems are a rarity.

[email protected]

Latest posts