Gallon of Milk

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Ok Maybe I have been hunting way too much and have no idea whats going on in the world but if im not mistaken milk has went up almost 2 bucks a gallon here. We go through a gallon of milk a day or more thats a majority of what I drink I just went and got 7 gallons I was like maybe I need to raise a few jerseys and get my own single cow milker. Has anyone else noticed that? :shock:

Deepsouth":32ffy4uv said:
The only thing that I've noticed is that you are in fact hunting waaaay to much!

:lol: you are right... I have been taking days off lately.... I don't hunt in the rain.. unless im in my blind and still hunting. Its no fun standing out in the rain waiting on dogs.

I haven't drank sweet milk since I was a kid. It would take a while to develope a taste for it.

skyhightree1":3h9jgoug said:
Ok Maybe I have been hunting way too much and have no idea whats going on in the world but if im not mistaken milk has went up almost 2 bucks a gallon here. We go through a gallon of milk a day or more thats a majority of what I drink I just went and got 7 gallons I was like maybe I need to raise a few jerseys and get my own single cow milker. Has anyone else noticed that? :shock:
Might be a good time to experiment with a small bag of high quality "milk replacer" (Non medicated of course). Probably take a while to adjust to it (don't scour yourself) but it could be done. Start the kiddos early and they'll never know the difference. Some of it smells pretty awesome.

All kidding aside there is some talk that it could go to $7-10 a gallon.... all the while the dairy farmer gets paid from $16-22 per hundred-weight. :mad:

chippie":qjav87zm said:

Thanks chippie I had not seen that.

TexasBred":qjav87zm said:
skyhightree1":qjav87zm said:
Might be a good time to experiment with a small bag of high quality "milk replacer" (Non medicated of course). Probably take a while to adjust to it (don't scour yourself) but it could be done. Start the kiddos early and they'll never know the difference.

All kidding aside there is some talk that it could go to $7-10 a gallon.... all the while the dairy farmer gets paid from $16-22 per hundred-weight. :mad:

LOL.... Well if it goes to 7-10 a gallon can I buy a dairy cow from someone lol I drink way to much milk to be paying that much and the dairy farmer not to get his fair share. :mad:

skyhightree1":27jd15rn said:
Ok Maybe I have been hunting way too much :shock:

First of all it is not possible to hunt too much. My ex said it was possible but she was wrong about everything else so I know she was wrong about this.

Second it is amazing how much stores will jump the price of milk around while it is pretty constant at the wholesale level.

Yes! Milk in the stores in the Bakken is $8 and its being sold. When we raised our kids we thought that the most profitable animal on the place was a good milk cow. Raised 5 kids and they all no how to milk and also understand why. Never hurt anyone to learn how to provide food. As to the dairy farmer and them not getting their fair share, there is so few true dairy farmers left. We have mass produced dairy products from corporate factory type outfits and they most certanlly willand can control prices. Big hog,big chicken and big dairy. Sooner then later the big 3 packers will control the beef industry and therefore the beef cattle and we'll all pay the penalty. It's not IF they will control but WHEN and how manipulate'v they will be.

Beef Man":xurcoq61 said:
Yes! Milk in the stores in the Bakken is $8 and its being sold. When we raised our kids we thought that the most profitable animal on the place was a good milk cow. Raised 5 kids and they all no how to milk and also understand why. Never hurt anyone to learn how to provide food. As to the dairy farmer and them not getting their fair share, there is so few true dairy farmers left. We have mass produced dairy products from corporate factory type outfits and they most certanlly willand can control prices. Big hog,big chicken and big dairy. Sooner then later the big 3 packers will control the beef industry and therefore the beef cattle and we'll all pay the penalty. It's not IF they will control but WHEN and how manipulate'v they will be.

Beef man most dairies in the US are almost forced to sell to co-ops which basically rules out being able to negotiate a contract or anything else. You're simply there to be used by them. Top managment lives well and the producer gets whatever they decide to pay him. They can always justify cutting prices for one reason or the other...the bad thing is that your milk has been gone for 30 days before you ever have any idea how much you will be paid.

A gallon of milk weighs about 8.6 lbs.
1%, 2% and skim milk will weigh a little less because most of the cream has been removed.

Some people believe that water is added to milk to make skim milk. That is not true.

BS reporting chippie. It is emotional based and nothing factual about what the fight is actually about. The fight isn't about farming. It is about all the ridiculousness attached to it. They should be completely different bills and to be honest, I haven't been convinced we need a farm bill anyway. We are sinking because of the spending, but they are able to make the battle cry about the "price of food". Never let a crisis go to waste, even if you have to make one up.

The senate and the executive branch are walking hand in hand. One doesn't act without the other. If we have a President that thinks he can circumvent "Congress", being really the House, on everything, why not this as well? He thinks that we are paying too little for energy, why is it okay to want to pay more for energy and not more for food? Where is the disconnect between them? Aren't they both coming out of each families pocket each month?

Where was CBS when this was said? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4

At this point, what does it matter what the price of food is? Over half the country will get their food stamp values raised to equal amounts of milk and the remainder that are dumb enough to still be working will take it in the shorts.

Why are we paying land owners money to do nothing with the land, but just let it sit there and make their payments? It doesn't make sense. If the farm bill is designed to keep food prices low, why pay land owners to not produce? Why pay those that continue to fail, to continue to fail? BS

jasonleonard":2moalbtt said:
Hey TB...How many gallons of grade a milk do the milkplants get out of a cwt of farm milk?

Jason milk weighs about 8.5 lbs. per gallon depending on how much of the butterfat they sucked out of it before bottling so that would be a little over 11 gallons per hundred-weight. What's left is what they bottle and sell to us as "whole milk".

BTW that price the dairyman gets is reduced by what it cost to have it hauled as well as a number of other deductions. Hauling alone can run almost $2.00 per hundred weight.

Commercialfarmer":2d6u3vr3 said:
BS reporting chippie. It is emotional based and nothing factual about what the fight is actually about. The fight isn't about farming. It is about all the ridiculousness attached to it. They should be completely different bills and to be honest, I haven't been convinced we need a farm bill anyway. We are sinking because of the spending, but they are able to make the battle cry about the "price of food". Never let a crisis go to waste, even if you have to make one up.

The senate and the executive branch are walking hand in hand. One doesn't act without the other. If we have a President that thinks he can circumvent "Congress", being really the House, on everything, why not this as well? He thinks that we are paying too little for energy, why is it okay to want to pay more for energy and not more for food? Where is the disconnect between them? Aren't they both coming out of each families pocket each month?

Where was CBS when this was said? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4

At this point, what does it matter what the price of food is? Over half the country will get their food stamp values raised to equal amounts of milk and the remainder that are dumb enough to still be working will take it in the shorts.

Why are we paying land owners money to do nothing with the land, but just let it sit there and make their payments? It doesn't make sense. If the farm bill is designed to keep food prices low, why pay land owners to not produce? Why pay those that continue to fail, to continue to fail? BS
Very well said!!!! A lot of the younger farmers think that they cannot farm unless someone somewhere
make's the rules and will maybe kick in a little money so they can control. Sad,I think.

We've been paying $7 a gallon for milk for years. Plus a deposit on the bottles. It's a local dairy, they bottle their own production in the old fashion glass jugs and it is the best tasting milk I have had since I was a kid and we'd get raw milk from the neighbors. http://www.shattomilk.com

We don't use but a gallon or two a week and it's well worth those few bucks to have such good tasting milk and know where it came from.

Interesting that their price doesn't fluctuate like the commodity milk, and their whole milk is the same price as the low fat.

Latest posts