Galician Blond Beef, The Best Beef in the World?

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
Good afternoon folks, I was talking with a friend of mine about good marbled beef and how Japanese Wagyu seem to be the rage now, but according to him(a self proclaimed foodie), the new rage is the Spanish Galician Blond beef, beef from 10+ year old steers/Oxen that is highly marbled and well aged.

Here is a few pics of the meat I was able to find and while the Fat is Yellow, the people seem to love it, what do you think? Would you like to have some of it?

Galician Beef: The Best Beef in the World?
http://thebutchers.club/news/galician-beef-the-best-beef-in-the-world/

prod_13458.jpg

foto-vacum---blog-2-768010.JPG

prod_13459.jpg

buey.jpg

holm25":azwwc4mi said:
It looks good. But I will stick with AngusX lol
I was thinking the same, these folks have yet to taste a tat grass fed 10+ year old Angus Ox. :cboy:

Fire Sweep Ranch":x6eax91z said:
Who wants to wait 10 plus years for a steak?!?!?! Not me!
According to some of the reports, some of these Spanish cattle can be as old as 18 years and fed on grass alone for at least 5.

I'm curious about the tenderness of a steak from 10+ year old animal. Based on my past experience, it's just this side of boot leather. However, those pictures sure do look good. I'm guessing this is another foodie fad.

M.Magis":8ru1hi8p said:
I'm curious about the tenderness of a steak from 10+ year old animal. Based on my past experience, it's just this side of boot leather. However, those pictures sure do look good. I'm guessing this is another foodie fad.

I believe it's the aging and the marbling, the beef is aged for far longer than I would have expected, the best beef it's not from old cow, is from Fat Oxen.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...anish-farm-home-to-the-worlds-best-steak.html

9 Year old Galician Ox ribeye
p1010725-p.JPG

By definition, I don't understand how oxen could get fat. If they're not working and pulling, they're just cows. Perhaps another creative use of words by hippie foodies.

The rest of the world wants to attain enough wealth to purchase white fat animals, and here's some yahoo's scam trying to sell you a 10 yr old ox at a premium. ..

Magis and Muddy,

I believe an ox is a male bovine that's been castrated after reaching maturity, as opposed to a steer that was castrated much younger. But maybe it has different meanings in different areas of the world.

Rafter S":3iokgwkj said:
Magis and Muddy,

I believe an ox is a male bovine that's been castrated after reaching maturity, as opposed to a steer that was castrated much younger. But maybe it has different meanings in different areas of the world.
Oxen is usually preferred to a male bovine that is working in the fields as a draft animal or at least I thought that's what an oxen is.

Muddy":o7ffrkgl said:
what's different between a 10 years old oxen and a 10 years old steer?

An Ox is a mature Steer, in the case of the Galician beef, they are not worked as pulling Oxen, they spend their last days getting Fat.

Extreme Niche Market FAD.... (Available for a Limited Time).... with offer to sell a 22 lb slab for $1289 usd
Doesn't sound like they expect a lot of repeat business.
And by their own admission they clearly state, it's not the most tender steak, but it does have a very intense flavor.

The more I think about the whole process, it takes about a decade to enjoy these type of beef using the Galician breed, but I am certain that these results could be achieved by 3-4 year old Holstein Ox/Heifers for our own consumption.

Dry aged Holstein.
holstein7.jpg

holstein6.jpg

gaurus":1wzvy831 said:
The more I think about the whole process, it takes about a decade to enjoy these type of beef using the Galician breed, but I am certain that these results could be achieved by 3-4 year old Holstein Ox/Heifers for our own consumption.

Dry aged Holstein.
holstein7.jpg

holstein6.jpg

That's still not as quick as the 2 years it takes to finish an Angus cross

Latest posts