Gaining respect in and around the industry - is it possible?

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for an honest opinion here.

I am currently in pre-vet, and hoping to be accepted into vet school in the near future. I really want to work with large animals, however, I have my doubts if it will be possible, and I am trying to decide what I want to do for sure.

You see, I did not grow up on a farm working with large animals (especially cattle!) consistently, I am relatively new at this, and taking every opportunity I can to read up, learn and get as much hands on experience as possible. (This forum is GREAT for it!) I worked with horses mainly, but due to where I lived, working with cattle was not possible until recently. (Why did the parents have to move me from Stettler, Alberta to Nova Scotia :lol: )

My question is, I know farmers have great respect for their vets,and are quite picky about who they choose. How possible is it for someone who has not grown up working with large animals consistently, but has simply learned everything in lets say the 8 years of vet school, to be respected in the industry. It seems like a lot of people around me have grown up in this environment...

I hope I have made sense here... most likely not :oops:

Anyways, any opinions would be great :)

Thanks a TONNE!

TCFC

TCFC":1xplwdcx said:
Hi guys, looking for an honest opinion here.

I am currently in pre-vet, and hoping to be accepted into vet school in the near future. I really want to work with large animals, however, I have my doubts if it will be possible, and I am trying to decide what I want to do for sure.

You see, I did not grow up on a farm working with large animals (especially cattle!) consistently, I am relatively new at this, and taking every opportunity I can to read up, learn and get as much hands on experience as possible. (This forum is GREAT for it!) I worked with horses mainly, but due to where I lived, working with cattle was not possible until recently. (Why did the parents have to move me from Stettler, Alberta to Nova Scotia :lol: )

My question is, I know farmers have great respect for their vets,and are quite picky about who they choose. How possible is it for someone who has not grown up working with large animals consistently, but has simply learned everything in lets say the 8 years of vet school, to be respected in the industry. It seems like a lot of people around me have grown up in this environment...

I hope I have made sense here... most likely not :oops:

Anyways, any opinions would be great :)

Thanks a TONNE!

TCFC
You're the kind of Vet I am looking for. I know all the farm stuff , what I don't know is the 8hrs of vet school. Lab work etc. We need more large animal vets. Good luck.

TCFC I think you will be fine. Granted, some people feel more comfortable with someone who grew up with the animals, but even these folks must earn the respect of their clients. One must not have grown up around these animals to be a good animal doctor.

Katherine

I agree with what everyone else has said so far and good luck. My vet grew up in Chicago and he is great with large animals.

When you are done vet school just slip across the border into Maine and you would be welcomed. I need a vet that knows the 8 years of vet training and how to help when I need it. I am hiring you for your vet skills not our back ground.

The vet I go to is the furthest away out of the three other clinics I have around here to choose from. He grew up in town, and still lives in town. Never owned a cow or horse. I go to him because he is knowledgeable, willing to share his information with me, answers all my questions (even the dumb ones) patiently, and knows that my cattle are important to me, and treats me, and them as tho we are important also. I had a young vet tell me, while preg checking my cows, she'd rather operate on a dog or cat, more money and less messy.
I have to agree with everyone else...... keep studing and learning, you'll do great. We definitely need people who WANT to do large animals!

In my neck o the woods, desire for ya service as a vet would come from ya ability to simply doctor an animal. Respect from those who hire ya - that would, in a large part be earned by you with a strong handshake, lookin another person in the eyes when ya talk, and real honesty.

Good luck.............george

Another thing I'd like to see in a vet...

If you don't know the answer, tell me so. Then go home and look it up and call me with the answer. Don't make something up just to shut me up.

Good luck to ya! If you have enoughf heart and love for the job, it'll come easy for ya. But I bet V can tell ya, it is most times a hard job to do and with little to no appreciation. Long hours.

One of the vets at the clinic we used in Illinois was "fresh out of vet school" and didn't grow up on a farm or ranch. He was a great guy.. really different from a "born on the farm" vet, and seemed like he was more anxious to find out the problem.

One thing that might even HELP, you don't have a background of "daddy did it this way.. " that gives you preconceived notions about husbandry, etc. It's kind of a clean slate for you!

Tom, the vet in Illinois, offered to stay at our farm once when we went on vacation. I had probably 8 or so bottle calves, cows, etc. When we got back, he said he was really thankful we gave him the opportunity. (Of course, we were MORE grateful he offered to do it!! ) He said he learned a lot caring for them.

TheBullLady":8jdmzq8g said:
Tom, the vet in Illinois, offered to stay at our farm once when we went on vacation. I had probably 8 or so bottle calves, cows, etc. When we got back, he said he was really thankful we gave him the opportunity. (Of course, we were MORE grateful he offered to do it!! ) He said he learned a lot caring for them.

I'm amazed that you were willing to move when you had a vet like that in Illinois.

A good cow doc is getting harder and harder to find....
I would say PLEASE take up a large animal practice!! If you know what you are doing you would be welcome anywhere.

I like what the rookie said.

Always listen to the people you help. "keyword listen". They will tell you, and sometimes even teach you all the stuff vet school didn't.... ;-)

They will be there because you are the person who learned the technical stuff that they "usually" can't handle. So...know the technical end your job! Listen, be humble, and always go the extra way for your customer. You will gain their respect and make many new friends.

Just remember, you might kill a few animalls and anger a few people too, but it comes with the job.... just like the new uniform!

Good Luck in your endeavors. Your ability to do what will be right has already preceeded you.... :)

I'm sure if your interests are in cattle during your 8 years of vet school you will get much hands experience and by then you'll know what you want to specalize in. In our area there aren't many cattle vets . Most just want to do cats and dogs or fancy horses.

Veting, like physicians is 50% knowledge, and 100% attitude when it comes to me wanting you around my farm (yes for all you mathmaticians, I know the numbers don't add up :lol: ).

Look at it this way, as a vet who has never farmed, you don't have any preconcieved notions as to how certain things should be done, or how certain animals act and react, or for that matter how certain farmers and ranchers act!

Also, think about this..... for all the small animal vets out there, do you think thay grew up 'working' with all those dogs and cats? No to mention all the other little critters that they are bound to see in practice as well?

I hope you do well in your chosen profesion! :cboy:

I think with any job to be very good at what you do you must have a certain mind set! Sounds to me like you have set your goals and have what it takes to get them! Go for it! :D

I agree with what everyone on here has said. A good vet is one that works with you. You get the 8 years of knowledge and then when you go out you will run into people who have been around cows for a long time. If you are willing to help them out, they will help you out. Just don't let yourself get too cocky, be willing to continue learning from your clients. Always be honest, an "I don't know" will earn you more respect than a lie will. Don't expect instant respect from all people. There are those that will have to test you out and make you earn it.
It is about attitude, as someone previously said. Be nice to people and there cows; keep a sense of humour (you will need one!) and you will be OK. ;-)

Thanks so much guys! I feel a lot more confident now. Hopefully all goes well and the marks stay up :)

Maybe I will move doen to Maine... get payed in US dollars :p

TCFC

Latest posts