Gaining respect in and around the industry - is it possible?

Help Support CattleToday:

Get payed in US dollars, not pay tuition is US dollars :p That would SUCK... and plus... then I'd have to write the SAT'S!!! :O

I think I am gonna go to good ol' UPEI, then go wherever there's a job

... if I get in of course... if I can keep up a 90+ average with lots of experience... it should go good... *crosses fingers*

TCFC

It sounds like you're on the right track, TCFC.

There's one thing I've noticed though about vets and it may not apply in your particular case.

I'm sure Vicky may have more to add on the subject, but being a large animal veterinarian is a tough row to hoe on the body, particularly for women that are interested in that field.

Honey's dad had an incident involving a young female vet that was new to our area that I'll share with you.

He had a first calver that needed a c-section. Called the vet office and the young lady said she'd be out to the ranch a.s.a.p. (it is a bit of a drive). Now although that gal had a lot of heart, it was beyond her strength to lift that calf out of the incision to deliver it.

"Dad" was standing close by waiting to help her, but she stubbornly persisted in trying to do it on her own for quite a while.

Finally she relented and asked for his help, but by then it was too late and the calf was dead. A rather expensive c-section what with no live calf at the end of it.

On the other hand, we currently have a peach of a young lady practising with her husband locally, and she performed a c-section on one of my heifers last winter. She sure didn't hesitate to ask for my help, and I was happy to oblige.

I guess it's the difference between knowing your physical limitations and not worrying that other folks will think less of you for asking for help.

I sure do hope that you end up practicing in the large animal sector. The small animal end of the practice may be lucrative, but good large animal vets are a blessing! Sure, you'll have to live with the unenviable task of performing medicine in some tricky situations (pulling a calf from a cow that's tied to a tree or post in minus twenty with the wind blowing the hair off your head; and forget having a personal life in calving season ;-) ), but the it seems like the vets I've talked to that dedicate their lives to it wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.

Kind of like ranching. Gets in the blood. Good luck with your chosen field.

Take care.

I guess I should put in a comment here...You gain respect by doing your job the best you can. You give 100% of your knowledge and ability. Admit it if you're stumped, but figure out the answer anyway. Be reliable, honest and discrete and you'll go far.

Get varied experience now--work on a dairy farm as a relief milker, or on a ranch. I'm from Ontario and I worked in Alberta for a summer, in fact the summer before I got into OVC! It doesn't matter where you're from, it's what you do and how you do it that will count. And I'd recommend being choosy in who you work for, since ethics will rub off and it's hard doing a good job when your employer's ethics are questionable. (ie out to screw clients, doing things you could lose your licence for...)

PM me if I can help with other questions!
V

I wouldn't worry about whether or not you have the experience with large animals. Producers are going to respect you simply because you have a DVM. That is not something that everyone can get so be proud of it. I recently graduated from vet school and am looking at buying a 80% large animal clinic. I grew up in a town of 25,000 and have little large animal experience. Sometimes you just gotta go for it.

TCFC":3fz65yiy said:
Thanks so much guys! I feel a lot more confident now. Hopefully all goes well and the marks stay up :)

Maybe I will move doen to Maine... get payed in US dollars :p

TCFC

Forget Maine! Goshen County Wyoming needs you desperately!!! Please?

dixie78":quuxb46n said:
I wouldn't worry about whether or not you have the experience with large animals. Producers are going to respect you simply because you have a DVM.

I would argue with that. My town has 1 large animal clinic and none of them have a clue what they are doing. These clowns nearly cost us a calf this year. Respect for them is minimal, in fact, most people around here will drive 60 miles to Scottsbluff, Ne rather than take their animals to this clinic. Respect does not automatically come with a DVM. It has to be earned, just like everything else.

TCFC":32s7l2js said:
Hi guys, looking for an honest opinion here.

I am currently in pre-vet, and hoping to be accepted into vet school in the near future. I really want to work with large animals, however, I have my doubts if it will be possible, and I am trying to decide what I want to do for sure.

I hope I have made sense here... most likely not :oops:

Anyways, any opinions would be great :)

Thanks a TONNE!

TCFC

Wish you would come down here. We can't hardly find a LA vet down here.

There was an Article in the Tennessean Newspaper a few months ago about how the large animal vets have started to limit their practices to small animals. Guess a lot of it has to do with declining numbers of Farms, and they can see a lot more "patients" in a day with dogs and cats being brought into the office, instead of the Vet making farm calls.Of course they make more $ off these small animals.

MO has or is going to start a plan in which large animal vets get some part of they're schooling paid for my the state or community and are then required to do a large animal practice in a specific area. Kind of like they've down with doctors in the past.
There are now within 35 miles of town only 2 LA vets that will make farm calls. One of them charges $100 an hour plus whatever he does and counts the travel time at the same rate.

dun

We have two local vet clinics. One has two vets and only takes cats/dogs. The other has six vets on staff. Two only do the pet thing, two specialize in farm/large animals but are equally good with pets, and the other two, in my opinion, are not as specialized in either area, but can take care of either. For unusual cases, they often refer to the other vets, so the other vets are our first choice.

Stick to the books and get as much hands on as possible. When you graduate I got a rental house. The nearest good large animal vet is 85 miles away ($100.00 farm call). I think all before me have stated it very clear that a good vet is hard to find and even harder to keep. The lure of the easy money (dog & cat) is hard to refuse. Thats what the rookie did, large animal for 2 years, now dog & cat, runs the place like the county hospital, even has a receptionist to file Insurance claims. (not realy) But does have a receptionist and 2 assistants and a long line in the waiting room. He was good with cattle too, what a waste.

Best of luck!

Lngvew":6752hr0a said:
Stick to the books and get as much hands on as possible. When you graduate I got a rental house. The nearest good large animal vet is 85 miles away ($100.00 farm call). I think all before me have stated it very clear that a good vet is hard to find and even harder to keep. The lure of the easy money (dog & cat) is hard to refuse. Thats what the rookie did, large animal for 2 years, now dog & cat, runs the place like the county hospital, even has a receptionist to file Insurance claims. (not realy) But does have a receptionist and 2 assistants and a long line in the waiting room. He was good with cattle too, what a waste.

Best of luck!

We had a family friend that was our large animal vet. He also did small critters. He was the same age as my dad so he retired many years ago. Do to our friendship he would have his son who took over the business do our large animal stuff. He told us recently that he is unable to do it any more because he is just too busy. His dad has long since moved to Alabama so we can't consult him either. Our nearest LA vet is ~70 miles also. I don't know what he charges but I know the people who use him have to schedule for visits to get their 4H, FFA, stock vaccinated and such.

tcfc,
Good advice in this thread. Vicky the vet nailed it.

Don't worry about no exposure to animals...as your situation allows...pick a cattleman nearby for a saturday here and there...maybe a summer or two and ask him to use you with the animals in a general sense...ask many questions...look closely at the doings....means methods and processes...you will then be equal to your class mates or more informed...your understanding of animal husbandry will hold you in good stead with the profs....and when you are finished you can hit the ground running instead of limping along at first. He'll probably pay you to assist also.

Don't hesitate to ask a local vet to allow you to assist him in the clinic and field trips as schedules allow....if you have a sale barn nearby assist the vet processing the animals ...again with an inquisitivre mind.....tremendous advantage to the process of becoming informed and comfortable around the animals. Remember a few hours on a forum such as this will assist also...much knowledge here in an ever changing and challenging world. It will not stop!

YOU ARE NEEDED AS A VET...GO GO GO.....and good luck.(ps...nothing wrong with living near the border and have the best of both worlds!!..that's just part of the good planning thing.) 8) :)

Boy do I hope that none of my vets follow this board. After reading the posts and what ya'll are being charged for farm calls I think my vet is cheap. He only charged us $40.00 for an Emergency Farm Call on a Sunday, plus meds. We only live 5 miles from town so it is nice that he is close and I don't have to go 50+ miles. Plus they are all very nice and helpfull and patient when I call with stupid newbie questions.

Good Luck TCFC, If you have true love for animals I am sure you make an awesome vet.

Cheyenne":xr9fedbu said:
Boy do I hope that none of my vets follow this board. After reading the posts and what ya'll are being charged for farm calls I think my vet is cheap. He only charged us $40.00 for an Emergency Farm Call on a Sunday, plus meds. We only live 5 miles from town so it is nice that he is close and I don't have to go 50+ miles. Plus they are all very nice and helpfull and patient when I call with stupid newbie questions.

Good Luck TCFC, If you have true love for animals I am sure you make an awesome vet.

Our's charges 16.50 during regular hours. 35.00 for emergencies after hours.

Latest posts