G A R New Market 7892

Help Support CattleToday:

apparently, i missed this thread completely.

New Markets calves are doing great. the contemporary groups are made up of almost all proven AI sires so we have something to compare to.

this is one of his calves right before weaning.

GNM-2.JPG

in the latest NCE, New Market's Accuracy went up quite a bit, his BW went down and WW and $W went up.

Link to EPDs and Pedigree
http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_det ... d=14222787

feel free to ask any specific questions.

here are some yearling son pics

P9200162-25percent.JPG

P9200160-25percent.JPG

the one on the right is an Integrity son (other 2 are NM sons)
P9200166-25percent.JPG

What kind of ration are those yearling bulls on?? They are a nice looking bunch.

Aero, Do you have the ultrasound data on this pen of bulls?

They are slick and smooth, with good feet and legs but fed to the point of lacking muscle definition, yet these are some of the best Angus bulls I have seen in a while.

Can I borrow one to breed some heifers? :lol:

First of all nice set of bulls. The two New Market bulls look good.

Second how are the Integrity's as far as growth, frame, disposition, etc? Thanks.

Switching to the dark side of the force, Mike???

TSR":pis1y94q said:
What kind of ration are those yearling bulls on?? They are a nice looking bunch.

free choice hay and pretty green grass supplemented with a 14-16% protein soyhull mix. they dont go hungry and we like to give them the chance to express their potential. It's sorta like an on-farm bull test without the high-energy rations (silage, etc) that a lot of bull tests use.

no matter what bull buyers tell you, this is what they like a bull to look like when they put their money on the table. They will look pretty much like this from now until our January bull sale. At our January sale, the muscle definition will be a little better in the growthier bulls.

the soyhulls are pretty low energy and is about the same nutritional content as hay and grass. The soyhulls dont have the bad side of hotter rations that a lot of people use and you dont have founder problems with soyhulls.

Frankie":17rys991 said:
I like them. :D Are they flush mates?

Only a few of these are flush animals; we were able to use New Market in natural service on quite a few females.

MikeC":21yxxqkl said:
we are scanning the heifers today and the bulls will be done in a couple of weeks.

MikeC":21yxxqkl said:
of course you can "borrow" one...if you raise your hand enough at our sale. :D

MikeC":364q68gu said:
we are scanning the heifers today and the bulls will be done in a couple of weeks.

MikeC":364q68gu said:
of course you can "borrow" one...if you raise your hand enough at our sale. :D

jscunn":2f76fdis said:
Second how are the Integrity's as far as growth, frame, disposition, etc? Thanks.

The 6 Integrity calves have averaged 102 for BW and 98 for WW. They are phenotypically pretty nice but just dont have the explosive growth that we like to see in the first few months. Their frame is not that noticeably less than the rest of the group, but they definitely arent larger framed. Disposition has not been mentioned or discussed, so that is always a good sign. My grandfather really likes the Integrity calves he has and wants to use him some more. He says his Integrity calves are a little thicker than his Solution calves which surprised me.

bullpeddler":378rglp1 said:
I sure like these calves. Pretty stout for Angus. Who sells New Market semen?

Angus Semen Service, Cattle Visions, Bull Barn, Universal, Genetic Horizons (SEK), and Bovine Elite.

the phone numbers are listed at the bottom of the page this link goes to http://www.hilltopangus.net/

Angus Semen Service, Cattle Visions, Bull Barn, Universal, Genetic Horizons (SEK), and Bovine Elite.

the phone numbers are listed at the bottom of the page this link goes to http://www.hilltopangus.net/

Aero, Thanks for the info. Wonder how he would work on some black simmental cows?

Aero":j9rkerdr said:
TSR":j9rkerdr said:

free choice hay and pretty green grass supplemented with a 14-16% protein soyhull mix. they dont go hungry and we like to give them the chance to express their potential. It's sorta like an on-farm bull test without the high-energy rations (silage, etc) that a lot of bull tests use.

no matter what bull buyers tell you, this is what they like a bull to look like when they put their money on the table. They will look pretty much like this from now until our January bull sale. At our January sale, the muscle definition will be a little better in the growthier bulls.

the soyhulls are pretty low energy and is about the same nutritional content as hay and grass. The soyhulls dont have the bad side of hotter rations that a lot of people use and you dont have founder problems with soyhulls.

Thanks Matt. Another question. Generally what are the bloodlines of their dams?

bullpeddler":1enwe1go said:
Aero, Thanks for the info. Wonder how he would work on some black simmental cows?

Honestly, I dont know. There are a lot of different types of Simmentals out there and according to what you have, he might be just what you are looking for. We have one customer that has bred New Market to his registered Simmentals, but I dont know if the calves have even hit the ground yet.

Of course, with the results we have had on our Angus cows I think he would do very well. He has about the same or less frame as many of the black Simmentals I have seen so he should not bring the frame down too much and he might add some thickness according to what kind of cows you have.

i say "might" because there are some very thick Simmis out there along with some mostly dairy ones. either way, i dont think he could hurt them and you might get something you like a lot.

and if you are in the semen buying mood, the buy 10+, get 5 free fall special is a pretty good deal.

Aero, Thanks for the advice. Most of my simmental cows are pretty moderate and thick. Don't want to use a bull that would change the frame very much. I could sure sell the bulls if they come out anything like the ones you posted.

Latest posts