Fund Raising ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your prayers and support when my friend Kelly passed away.
Found out that she had no health insurance. There are quite a few of us talking about doing a fund raiser to help pay for the medical bills. Here are some of the ideas being thrown around. If anybody can think of something else that would be wonderful.

My husband and I are donating a finished butcher steer to either be auctioned off or raffled off.
A silent auction at a crafts fair. Her sister makes barbwire wreathes and is taking one to the 4-H meeting tomorrow, I already bid $50.00 for it.
Get area people to donate either a finished steer or calf and have them auctioned off on a video auction. Try to get a pot load to make it worth the buyer.
Alot of people are already sending money rather then flowers.

Does anybody else have an idea of what we can do to raise money for the bills? Has anybody done this before? Any suggestions?
We plan to get the local radio station involved. Kelly would play the trivia games that they did during harvest and their morning trivia. It really got the DJ's when they found out about her passing.

Told her sister to check out the prayer chain. She is so grateful to everyone. Still deciding if we are going to have the kids look at it.
Thank you so much everyone. :heart: :heart: :heart:

See if any businesses or individuals would donate items and auction them off. Items I have seen include restaurant certificates, saddles, tack, feed from feedstore, decorations, really anything of value. The auction could be silent or otherwise.

Bake sales are always nice especially if the items are homemade but I wouldn't specify that.

Have a pancake breakfast, fish fry, spagetti dinner or whatever is popular in your area.

Big garage sale.

Raffles.

ILH,what you are doing so far sounds really good.God bless all of you :heart: .I don't have any suggestions to add at this time but will ask around to some of my friends and neighbors because a few have been through the same situation with family and/or friends.

It is such a shame that this poor lady (Kelly) leaves behind a morning husband and her babies and now they have to struggle to pay the hospital bills :( .

There was a girl in our area that had a car accident and ended up in a wheelchair. The family was strapped trying to make everything wheelchair friendly. There are a group of us that sell our calves together and we decided to have it so that each person selling could donate either part of a calf, a whole calf/calves whatever. We got the auction market involved and they were the ones that took it off the cheques so that it was private donatoins. They also announced it to the buyers that day and the auction market put in money from their proceeds from each calf. Quite a bit of money was raised that way. I don't know if you could get something like that together or not.
Other than that local businesses donated and there were cans set up in stores, the bank took donations, stuff like that. Hope it goes well for you.

I work as a flight medic for Air Evac LIfeteam. One of the things we will do for bennifits is if you are haveing an auction, fish fry, BBQ or just what ever,we will bring the helicopter out for the public to see and will even give a card away for auction which will allow the winner to a free short ride in the helicopter. You'll be suprized at what kind of turn out a loud helicopter will draw. So do some checking in your area and see if the service there will do something like that.
Good luck in your efforts........

Thank you for the ideas.
Eddie I love it! I will have to call a guy I know that is the dispatcher for Mercy Flight and see if they are willing to do that.
Will start hitting up businesses.

I went to a "reverse raffle" at a catholic church once. They were raffling off a Van. Anyhow, what they did was have hotdogs, hamburgers, drinks, homemade pies and such for sale while they did this. The reverse raffle works by process of illemination and you had to be present to win. They pulled a ticket number and read it out and continued to do this until they got to the last ten. They then asked those who had the tickets to identify themselves. Once they did, these folks could horse trade amongst themselves for each others tickets. Then they would read off another one or two then give the remaining folks more time to horse trade for the remaining tickets. It was fun but it took several hours to do it. However, the whole time they were selling hamburgers and things. Had games for kids and people to babysit so parents could have fun. I don't know how much they raised but based on what I spent, I figure they did pretty good and everyone had fun.

There was a community tragedy a couple of months ago . When a family of 6 was killed . 3 small children and 3 adults. Only one had insurance. The whole community kicked in . Each church had a dinner and/or auction , bake sale and rummage sale. Each business sat out donation cans.
Go to your local business for donated items. H.E.B was great,they donated meat,potates,and beans for a huge bar-b-q in the park . Our local resturants and cafe's donated our paper goods.
The volunteer fire department ladys donated 2 quilts for a raffle. Put out posters everywhere,even in other local towns. Advertise on your local tv stations. Have a fund set up at the bank for the children. You will be suprised how many will donate.
I am really unsure of how much we actually raised. I did alot of the foot work and cooking. We were really sweating it,hoping we had raised enough to bury them.We got word 2 days before the funerals we did it.

Turkey shoots are a big fund raiser down here. We have a couple for breast cancer every year, We raised $4600 last year. Had one for a lady that got hurt on a horse. Raised $2100 for her. You can go to turkeyshoot.net. and find out the rules. Or pm me.

Funeral is tomorrow. Going to be a hard day.
Talked with Kelly's sister this morning and things have gotten so big that it is unbelievable.
The local businesses are closing and the school is closing for tomorrow and has offered the use of their team bus to take people to the burial site.
Both the Catholic Ladies and Methodist Ladies are planning the luncheon.
The Guest book on the local papers web site has four pages so far.
Looks like both her sister, Sue, and I are going to be doing alot of fund raising all over the area. We are going to start after the services. Already have people wanting to buy tickets for the beef raffle and the 4-H'ers raised over $1,000.00 at the bake sale. The wreath brought $150.00.
They opened the Kelly Moline Mermorial Fund at Basin State Bank in Geraldine, MT.

Thank you everyone for both the ideas, support and prayers. I wish I could give everyone of you a hug.
Cris

We knew there would be alot of people there, but it was BEYOND anything anybody expected.
We are guessing there was between 300-400 people inside and outside of the church. :shock: People were standing in the doorway just to hear the services.
Not everybody went to the ranch for the graveside services and the procession still stretched for 4 MILES!
What a great tribute for Kelly.

Its good to hear that there was such a turn out. Its allways good to know that people care. I hope everything goes well with your fung raisers.

We have Cow bingo games.Held along with a charity meal.

We use a ball field(off season) with a fence around it and bring in a calm cow(usually a holstien). The field is gridded off(lime and spreader) and the squares are sold.

The cow is turned out and the square she craps in is the winner.Its fun watching people try and make the cow go to their square from outside the fence. They bring treats,beg her, shoosh her ect. (no throwing anything in the fence is allowed.)

We also use reverse lotteries - they are alot of fun. And keep some people on edge for hours :)
The side trading and deals that go on as it gets down to the last few are the most fun.

Latest posts