Full circle ( long read and just rambling )

Help Support CattleToday:

Allison, that parable brings up a peculiarity regarding fishing....--how come when we're fishing from the shore, we cast our lines way out there but when fishing from a boat cast the line toward the shore?

alisonb":v2epph8c said:
Cross - We have to stop chasing other people's definition of happiness. I have always enjoyed this little story, unsure of writer. It invites us to live the life we were born to live, not the life our neighbor is seeking to achieve. I'm by no means saying become complacent...

One day a fisherman was lying on a beautiful beach, with his fishing pole propped up in the sand and his solitary line cast out into the sparkling blue surf. He was enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun and the prospect of catching a fish.

About that time, a businessman came walking down the beach trying to relieve some of the stress of his workday. He noticed the fisherman sitting on the beach and decided to find out why this fisherman was fishing instead of working harder to make a living for himself and his family. "You aren't going to catch many fish that way," said the businessman. "You should be working rather than lying on the beach!"

The fisherman looked up at the businessman, smiled and replied, "And what will my reward be?"

"Well, you can get bigger nets and catch more fish!" was the businessman's answer.

"And then what will my reward be?" asked the fisherman, still smiling.

The businessman replied, "You will make money and you'll be able to buy a boat, which will then result in larger catches of fish!"

"And then what will my reward be?" asked the fisherman again.

The businessman was beginning to get a little irritated with the fisherman's questions. "You can buy a bigger boat, and hire some people to work for you!" he said.

"And then what will my reward be?" repeated the fisherman.

The businessman was getting angry. "Don't you understand? You can build up a fleet of fishing boats, sail all over the world, and let all your employees catch fish for you!"

Once again the fisherman asked, "And then what will my reward be?"

The businessman was red with rage and shouted at the fisherman, "Don't you understand that you can become so rich that you will never have to work for your living again! You can spend all the rest of your days sitting on this beach, looking at the sunset. You won't have a care in the world!"

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "And what do you think I'm doing right now?"

One of my favorites Alison. One of the reasons I turned down a big promotion at work a year ago...along with results from a study that showed an inverse relationship between overall happiness and financial reward/employment (after a certain income level). Chased the rat race for enough of my life and missed enough family things that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze to work more hours, have more stress, to jump up a few more tax brackets. Longer I live, the more I believe balance is the key.

TexasBred":3nlvi1ec said:
Why the infatuation with owning a "big" place??

I think it's a societal thing. It's the people we look up to, who we're taught to look up to. They're the pillars of the community-He Who Has The Most Things! Because Money=Power, and Power=Respect, and all people want to be respected? That's my take on things. No one ever talks about the guy with a super solid herd of 20 black angus that he sells as seed stock every year. But we all know the name of 10 big producers who, in reality, aren't producing anything that's more special than the small guy, they're just producing more.

bball":2oq0moxn said:
...along with results from a study that showed an inverse relationship between overall happiness and financial reward/employment (after a certain income level). Chased the rat race for enough of my life and missed enough family things that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze to work more hours, have more stress, to jump up a few more tax brackets. Longer I live, the more I believe balance is the key.

My dad did that, and I don't blame him. Different generation, different ideals on life. Times were different. I make enough to live comfortably, and so does my wife. I have no want to climb the ladder just to make more. I see the managers at the place I work at, always scrambling here and there, and for what? $10K more than I make (yes, that's the reality) and less time with the family? Naw, I'm all set. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one.

Me personally I want to build something to leave behind. I didn't come from a family that farmed. Brother man and myself have started from nothing and built as we are able to. Still small fries by any means but I've got an opportunity right now to grow our operation pretty substantially and it would allow/require me to quit my day job. I guess I want my kids to get a little easier start if they decide they want to pursue agriculture for a living. If not that's fine. Saw a couple guys get laid off recently that had been with our company 30+ years. Really got me thinking. I guess I just want something to show for my life other than a plaque and a retirement party.

Bestoutwest":2rao0wed said:
TexasBred":2rao0wed said:

I think it's a societal thing. It's the people we look up to, who we're taught to look up to. They're the pillars of the community-He Who Has The Most Things! Because Money=Power, and Power=Respect, and all people want to be respected? That's my take on things. No one ever talks about the guy with a super solid herd of 20 black angus that he sells as seed stock every year. But we all know the name of 10 big producers who, in reality, aren't producing anything that's more special than the small guy, they're just producing more.
But this is the guy I want to spend time with, ride around "his little place" in his old dirty truck and listen to every word he says hoping I can learn something and do half the good job he's done and with the same sense of accomplishment that he gets from his operation.

TexasBred":2l7ksxg1 said:
Bestoutwest":2l7ksxg1 said:
TexasBred":2l7ksxg1 said:

But this is the guy I want to spend time with, ride around "his little place" in his old dirty truck and listen to every word he says hoping I can learn something and do half the good job he's done and with the same sense of accomplishment that he gets from his operation.

I know a guy exactly like that
He worked for Bradly 3. I don't know the full story but he's not employed by them anymore and he's raising seed stock on a much smaller scale than Bradly 3 but I'd put his cattle up against any bodies

Cross-7":t1o5goy5 said:
I know a guy exactly like that
He worked for Bradly 3. I don't know the full story but he's not employed by them anymore and he's raising seed stock on a much smaller scale than Bradly 3 but I'd put his cattle up against any bodies

Old fella like that can probably tell you every little detail about every cow, knows every inch of his place and has done 99% of the work all through the years. That's the kind you could sit under the big shade tree, listen to him talk and drink a few cold ones with for hours at a time.

TexasBred":12n2wr93 said:

What I've found out in life is that these guys are usually a he// of a lot more fun to hang out with, too. It also seems that the big guys only want to talk to you if you're getting out the checkbook.

arkie1":1pls2jjl said:
Me personally I want to build something to leave behind. I didn't come from a family that farmed. Brother man and myself have started from nothing and built as we are able to. Still small fries by any means but I've got an opportunity right now to grow our operation pretty substantially and it would allow/require me to quit my day job. I guess I want my kids to get a little easier start if they decide they want to pursue agriculture for a living. If not that's fine. Saw a couple guys get laid off recently that had been with our company 30+ years. Really got me thinking. I guess I just want something to show for my life other than a plaque and a retirement party.

My sentiments exactly. When I was younger it was about me but now I worry more about leaving my children some sort of legacy. What they do with it is anyone's guess. Just hope I raised the right.

Bestoutwest":b5p9q4bq said:
TexasBred":b5p9q4bq said:

What I've found out in life is that these guys are usually a he// of a lot more fun to hang out with, too. It also seems that the big guys only want to talk to you if you're getting out the checkbook.

Best,
Has not been my experience. The "Big Guys" are more progressive and every single one I know is eager to help you reach your goals. I enjoy good ole boys but the "big boys" are where the substance IS!

Folks have a desire to leave their offspring an easier path then they had. Sounds like a noble concept.

I think that is how we came to the point we talk about folks today don't have any "common sense". No one is born with common sense, it's learned. The way it's learned to to do things, hopefully with some good coaching, but when things don't turn out as planned, analyze and go again. This process of trying, learning, redoing, and growing is latter called common sense.

You have to earn it, or it's of very little value to the receiver.

A person with a lot of common sense has to "learn from the mistakes of others, because they won't live long enough to make all them themselves."

Don't rob our children the opportunity to develop their common sense. Don't give them too much, because in most cases what you though was so important and valuable to them ends up at an auction. The best thing you can give them is intangible.

I don't know if I can generalize that little guys or bigger guys are more fun or interesting to talk to. Who I find the most interesting is someone who wasn't given anything that had to learn from scratch and pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, people that have tried and failed and learned from it.

Love the parable Allison although there is some point at which we all say here our comfort level is and this is what we want and the stress beyond that and working hours are or are not worth it.

Bestoutwest":3psyplio said:
TexasBred":3psyplio said:

I thought it was becuase people really believe "he who dies with the most toys wins"

dun":37scniez said:
I thought it was becuase people really believe "he who dies with the most toys wins"

I think you got that backward because a fella once told me the true winners in life are those who die owing the most. He was true to his beliefs because he left his family in a mess.

TexasBred":l7auto8i said:
Bestoutwest":l7auto8i said:
TexasBred":l7auto8i said:

X2

dun":3b7rvfrb said:

Most toys=most money=biggest fish in the pond. Everyone respects the biggest fish in the pond.

D2Cat":24nfxuba said:
Folks have a desire to leave their offspring an easier path then they had. Sounds like a noble concept.

I think that is how we came to the point we talk about folks today don't have any "common sense". No one is born with common sense, it's learned. The way it's learned to to do things, hopefully with some good coaching, but when things don't turn out as planned, analyze and go again. This process of trying, learning, redoing, and growing is latter called common sense.

You have to earn it, or it's of very little value to the receiver.

A person with a lot of common sense has to "learn from the mistakes of others, because they won't live long enough to make all them themselves."

Don't rob our children the opportunity to develop their common sense. Don't give them too much, because in most cases what you though was so important and valuable to them ends up at an auction. The best thing you can give them is intangible.
That's the way I see it too.

The real trick, and one I did poorly, was giving them something and they value it and behave responsibly.

I earned everything I have, and I was blessed. My parents could not give me anything but a good home and love.

I tried to give my kids love and a good home. I also overcompensated and gave them a lot of "things". I spoiled them and it hurts me now. I keep praying they'll correct my mistakes raising them.

Bestoutwest":qll5g33d said:
dun":qll5g33d said:

Most toys=most money=biggest fish in the pond. Everyone respects the biggest fish in the pond.

That's what the big fish thinks anyway. :nod:

Margonme":2ysbrzfh said:
Bestoutwest":2ysbrzfh said:
TexasBred":2ysbrzfh said:

Best,
Has not been my experience. The "Big Guys" are more progressive and every single one I know is eager to help you reach your goals. I enjoy good ole boys but the "big boys" are where the substance IS!
Guess the so called big guys down here are differen. Most don't know a bull from a cow but are good businessmen. Now the guys that do all the work on their place are full of knowledge and glad to share.

Latest posts