Full circle ( long read and just rambling )

Help Support CattleToday:

Along this same thought it is interesting to me when talking about the average size herd for most cattlemen, it's not BIG.

TexasBred":22np8in3 said:
Bestoutwest":22np8in3 said:
dun":22np8in3 said:
I thought it was becuase people really believe "he who dies with the most toys wins"

Most toys=most money=biggest fish in the pond. Everyone respects the biggest fish in the pond.

That's what the big fish thinks anyway. :nod:

Yep--just ask em and they'll tell ya.

kickinbull":3fjdc9r8 said:
In 2012 USDA said it was 40 head In US.

I would have guessed 25. I bet if you take the top 10% of producers out, The reminder averages about 25. Or, atleast median would be 25.

TennesseeTuxedo":e30u2hrg said:
Bigfoot":e30u2hrg said:
kickinbull":e30u2hrg said:
In 2012 USDA said it was 40 head In US.

I would have guessed 25. I bet if you take the top 10% of producers out, The reminder averages about 25. Or, atleast median would be 25.

I think the average in KY is 25 BF.

Easy to say, but hard to do. If your going to run 25 head, seems like they'd be the best 25 head you could possibly muster. Not usually the case though.

TennesseeTuxedo":2jyp5ra7 said:
Don't forget all the folks who keep a few head around for tax purposes.

How else you gonna justify a deer huntin spot?

TennesseeTuxedo":us0k6ap4 said:
TexasBred":us0k6ap4 said:
Why the infatuation with owning a "big" place??

This is America dadgummit, we dream big in America!

It takes lots of cows and courage to quit a paying job and go out on your own.

Debt free and and as an investment I can understand

Debt load and your lively hood depends on it, thats a different deal

Cross-7":3lce2wxr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3lce2wxr said:
TexasBred":3lce2wxr said:
Why the infatuation with owning a "big" place??

This is America dadgummit, we dream big in America!

It takes lots of cows and courage to quit a paying job and go out on your own.

Debt free and and as an investment I can understand

Debt load and your lively hood depends on it, thats a different deal

I know, that's why I said "dream". Lol

D2Cat":g9v935l2 said:
Folks have a desire to leave their offspring an easier path then they had. Sounds like a noble concept.

I think that is how we came to the point we talk about folks today don't have any "common sense". No one is born with common sense, it's learned. The way it's learned to to do things, hopefully with some good coaching, but when things don't turn out as planned, analyze and go again. This process of trying, learning, redoing, and growing is latter called common sense.

You have to earn it, or it's of very little value to the receiver.

A person with a lot of common sense has to "learn from the mistakes of others, because they won't live long enough to make all them themselves."

Don't rob our children the opportunity to develop their common sense. Don't give them too much, because in most cases what you though was so important and valuable to them ends up at an auction. The best thing you can give them is intangible.

X200000000000000000000

HDRider":ffgp8azy said:
D2Cat":ffgp8azy said:
Folks have a desire to leave their offspring an easier path then they had. Sounds like a noble concept.

I think that is how we came to the point we talk about folks today don't have any "common sense". No one is born with common sense, it's learned. The way it's learned to to do things, hopefully with some good coaching, but when things don't turn out as planned, analyze and go again. This process of trying, learning, redoing, and growing is latter called common sense.

You have to earn it, or it's of very little value to the receiver.

A person with a lot of common sense has to "learn from the mistakes of others, because they won't live long enough to make all them themselves."

Don't rob our children the opportunity to develop their common sense. Don't give them too much, because in most cases what you though was so important and valuable to them ends up at an auction. The best thing you can give them is intangible.
That's the way I see it too.

The real trick, and one I did poorly, was giving them something and they value it and behave responsibly.

I earned everything I have, and I was blessed. My parents could not give me anything but a good home and love.

I tried to give my kids love and a good home. I also overcompensated and gave them a lot of "things". I spoiled them and it hurts me now. I keep praying they'll correct my mistakes raising them.

So true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts