frozen waterer

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I was wondering what you folks did to keep your waterers from freezing. I have a Freedom Fountain from TSC with a heat tube installed. The tank itself does not freeze but the red balls freeze in place at the top opening. I can kick the balls loose and the cattle drink fine but at 15degrees they freeze back before long. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can keep the ball floats from freezing? There is no power anywhere close for any kind of heater. Thanks

Standard problem - truth as I see it:

IMO - There is no such thing as a truly frost free system - unless you power it or have so many cows drinking from it that there is no time for it to freeze.

Lots of ads state "frost free" - but they do not always do the job.

Next year bury some line to the waterer so you can put a ligh bulb in the base. Or, put a box over it at night and take it off during the day. Cows will catch on real quick as to when to come for water and the volume of flow will keep it open - mostly!

Good luck on this one.

Bez

kenojoe":11skwlft said:
I was wondering what you folks did to keep your waterers from freezing. I have a Freedom Fountain from TSC with a heat tube installed. The tank itself does not freeze but the red balls freeze in place at the top opening. I can kick the balls loose and the cattle drink fine but at 15degrees they freeze back before long. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can keep the ball floats from freezing? There is no power anywhere close for any kind of heater. Thanks

How high are the balls edjusted to sit? It's generally recommended that they sit about 1/4 inch below where they seal the holes. In most cases that takes care of the problem. Of course we don;t get severe winters. Zero occasioanlly and sometimes teens for a high for a week, but that's the method that most eople around here use.

dun

You should be able to set the water level in the tank by adjusting the float. It will probably take a few trys to get it set right, but it will make a big difference. That said, when it gets real cold it really doesn't matter, they are going to freeze, but usually the cows can still push them loose with their nose.

Thanks for reminding me. Now that you mention it I can adjust the pressure on the balls by adjusting the float valve. As I recall I had it set pretty snug. Thanks to all for the help.

kenojoe":18qbzyu7 said:
There is no adjustment of the balls, they float up tight to make a seal.

On the ones I've seen you adjust the balls by adjusting the water level

dun

I have the same problem with out waterers (not enough animal traffic to keep them from freeze-sticking)...I kick the floating things loose every morning and again in the afternoon (don't do this with sneakers on!)...right now we have temps in the low teens at night and it hasn't been above freezing for several days...before this we had about ten days of 50's and 60's!!!!! Well, you know what they say about paybacks....and now they're talking about snow tomorrow and again this weekend. God, I hate winter...I just keep thinking that in two months it'll be mid-March! (I really have no right to complain when I read the posts of some people on this board, like the ones in Canada!)

Gale

We run heat tape down the line, have a light bulb plugged in under the bowl at the base, and usually turn the water pressure down with the valve. Seems to help in most cases.

Take care and good luck with your waterer.

PS. For unthawing waterers, an exhaust hose (like the shops use) run to the exhaust on your pickup works dandy.

We have the same problem. When it's real cold & keeps freezing, I get a big jar of vasseline & coat the ring with it. Works great but doesn't last. You will have to keep applying it - may last a few days though. Depends on how many cows are drinking & they rub it off.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":yc5engqu said:
We have the same problem. When it's real cold & keeps freezing, I get a big jar of vasseline & coat the ring with it. Works great but doesn't last. You will have to keep applying it - may last a few days though. Depends on how many cows are drinking & they rub it off.

:lol: Keeps their noses nice and soft too ! ;-)

Latest posts