Frozen bull nuts?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
In the past I've heard horror stories about bulls freezing their testicles steril during really cold winters. WIth the past 2-3 months, I've been a little concerned and I'm curious how many have experienced this, how likely it is to happen and are older bulls more at risk because of the testicle size, sack extension or less because of greater blood flow??
Thanks

From what I've heard they can handle negative temps pretty well but its the wind with cold that increases the sterility issues.

We did pull our bull we keep heifers out of and AI with in to a bedded building otherwise the rest are on their own.

Last year at the Pot O Gold sale where I sell there were a lot of bulls with some frostbite on their sack. They all passed their BSE and most if not all were 1yr or younger when they were tested. It looked kinda rough but didn't seem to bother them much.

Depends on the breed. The British breeds usually have enough hair and thick enough hide to conserve and circulate heat. You see frostbite much more often in the exotic breeds.

3waycross":2su0iptd said:
Last year at the Pot O Gold sale where I sell there were a lot of bulls with some frostbite on their sack. They all passed their BSE and most if not all were 1yr or younger when they were tested. It looked kinda rough but didn't seem to bother them much.

Just trying to get a visual.... what does a frost bit sack look like? I thoughts things fall off when they get frost bit? Is it just like burnt skin? Trying to imagine what it would look like.... and did it affect the price of the bulls that were frostbit?
Thanks 3Way..

edit: OK, DO NOT go on goggle and look up images for frost bit bull testicles.... I need some soap to wash my eyes out!!!!

Fire Sweep Ranch":1aff5q77 said:
3waycross":1aff5q77 said:

Just trying to get a visual.... what does a frost bit sack look like? I thoughts things fall off when they get frost bit? Is it just like burnt skin? Trying to imagine what it would look like.... and did it affect the price of the bulls that were frostbit?
Thanks 3Way..

edit: OK, DO NOT go on goggle and look up images for frost bit bull testicles.... I need some soap to wash my eyes out!!!!
too late........ :cry:

Not sure what frostbit testicles look like, but I do have a few hens and a couple of roosters with some frostbitten sections of their combs. At some point I know the frost bitten sections will fall off.

I have not had a bull get frostbitten testicles. I have had a few calves with frostbitten ear tips and tail tips though. I have one cow in the herd whose tail tip was frostbitten as a calf so she has tail-switch as a result.

Katherine

Katherine

I have seen a bull that when we went to do a BSE his testicles felt mushy and cold, vet said it was more than likely due to frigid weather. He was an Angus about 15 months of age and we had tried to keep plenty of straw out for the bulls to lay in. He was the only one.

Fire Sweep Ranch":oepbi1wl said:
3waycross":oepbi1wl said:

Thanks 3Way..

The end of his sack was white where it had froze. probably from contact with the ice. htere wer ea few out of the hundred that way

They'll develop a scab on the bottom of their scrotum if they get frostbitten. We've never had any issues, usually try to bed the bulls a bit. I've heard about it happening and causing a bull to be no good, but have never actually talked to someone who has had a problem.

Like many things frostbite can and does happen, but if the bulls are in good shape and can get out of the wind it is'nt usually a problem. A scab on the bottum of the scrotem is usually cosmetic and looks worse than it is. Bedding,windbreak,and good condition eliminates nearly all freezing.

Latest posts