Frosted hay

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Blue Stem grass hay got frost killed, what does it do to the protein, does it reduce the $ value, was valued at $60 a roll, what would it be valued at now....?

What protein level was it valued at, at 60, and what does it test? Simple , if it tests lower, the value is lower, unless demand exceeds supply. I'm sure it will test lower, but it might not be bad at all, if it was cut immediately.

Frosted last tues. was to cut this week , rained an inch last nite, too wet to cut, to rain again next week, we are in a wet pattern , may be weeks or next year before it can be cut, I have promised a frIend an my hay supplier I would buy his hay. After a drough last summer it stared raining in sept and has not let up and is to continue raining. Just venting my thoughts what I am dealing with. :cboy:

cowboy43":1yvap2px said:
Frosted last tues. was to cut this week , rained an inch last nite, too wet to cut, to rain again next week, we are in a wet pattern , may be weeks or next year before it can be cut, I have promised a frIend an my hay supplier I would buy his hay. After a drough last summer it stared raining in sept and has not let up and is to continue raining. Just venting my thoughts what I am dealing with. :cboy:
But your not alone....lots of hay frozen off here too. Quite a bit of cotton still in the field because it was raining or to wet to get it out. Corn is out but fieldwork isn't done. Army worms did a number on winter pastures so I started feeding hay Thursday instead of turning in on oats.

I will start with hay next week. I turned my cows into the oats earlier today even though they are severely stunted because of the mud. They rotate off the field next week anyway.
Cows are in very good shape but my forage has really deteriorated in the last couple weeks. There is going to be a bunch of skinny cows come February as most folks don't have enough hay and what they have is poor.

Cowboy43 you would be much better off grazing the Blue Stem and supplementing if that is possible. The hay won't be very good IMO.

bird dog":284mu6d9 said:
I will start with hay next week. I turned my cows into the oats earlier today even though they are severely stunted because of the mud. They rotate off the field next week anyway.
Cows are in very good shape but my forage has really deteriorated in the last couple weeks. There is going to be a bunch of skinny cows come February as most folks don't have enough hay and what they have is poor.

Cowboy43 you would be much better off grazing the Blue Stem and supplementing if that is possible. The hay won't be very good IMO.
North Central Texas is a big area. I was over much of TX in August and didn t see much of anything big enough to cut. Which town are you near?

There wasn't anything to cut in August except corn stalks. I had some good grazing after it started raining that lasted until it got cold at the end of October. I am just west of Corsicana in the blackland.

Latest posts