Friend's low sale price question??????????

Help Support CattleToday:

.[/quote]
Possibly, I just find it strange how some people can own something of that kind of value and not know better than to sell it for half price or less. Not alot of learning required to know the market value of cattle.[/quote]

Usually its them thinking that what they have is worth more than it actually is :)

Son of Butch":2wdjw2fc said:
bigbull338":2wdjw2fc said:
bottomline is this your friend got hustled.those steers shouldve brought a $1 a lb or more.

No the Bottom Line is: the man was pleased with what he was paid for them.
And he didn't post the question.
His [perhaps nosey?] neighbor/friend who doesn't know prime/choice/select from canner/cutter posted it.
Making everything else here gossip and speculation as none of us saw the cattle.
A wise man doesn't pass judgment without knowing all the facts.

Yep, that's me; however, I can tell cabbage from grits.

4278440_f260.jpg

It looks like the neighbors are selling more cattle!

herofan":27giry7m said:
Son of Butch":27giry7m said:
bigbull338":27giry7m said:
bottomline is this your friend got hustled.those steers shouldve brought a $1 a lb or more.

No the Bottom Line is: the man was pleased with what he was paid for them.
And he didn't post the question.
His [perhaps nosey?] neighbor/friend who doesn't know prime/choice/select from canner/cutter posted it.
Making everything else here gossip and speculation as none of us saw the cattle.
A wise man doesn't pass judgment without knowing all the facts.

Yep, that's me; however, I can tell cabbage from grits.

4278440_f260.jpg

It looks like the neighbors are selling more cattle!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: now that's funny.

Never ever ever ever ever place a price on another persons cattle on the farm, always let them price them first, you will immediately know what you are dealing with, also always ask "what do you think they weigh" I myself am extremely sharp on weights and rarely am off by more than 20 lbs, couple of tips that I've learned from buying cattle right off the farm, farmers love seeing hundred dollar bills laying on a tailgate instead of a check.

a7 livestock":4kr90eac said:
Never ever ever ever ever place a price on another persons cattle on the farm, always let them price them first, you will immediately know what you are dealing with, also always ask "what do you think they weigh" I myself am extremely sharp on weights and rarely am off by more than 20 lbs, couple of tips that I've learned from buying cattle right off the farm, farmers love seeing hundred dollar bills laying on a tailgate instead of a check.
I agree, I never price anything and I can get the weights right. But I don't have alot of luck buying off the farm, because when they tell me they want market or higher value, I feel I need a discount of at least what they would be paying in commission and maybe some hauling. Sometimes I get them bought, but more often I can't make people happy.

denvermartinfarms":celf4x7g said:
a7 livestock":celf4x7g said:
I agree, I never price anything and I can get the weights right. But I don't have alot of luck buying off the farm, because when they tell me they want market or higher value, I feel I need a discount of at least what they would be paying in commission and maybe some hauling. Sometimes I get them bought, but more often I can't make people happy.
Agreed, ideally I shoot for 50 dollars a head for me to make after hauling and commission, or of it fits my order even better, a big cash offer does get quite a few discounts though

I will pay more of the farm and be happy doing it. I feel it's a big bonus being able to walk around the cattle and talk to the owner.

Wasn't one of the first comments by th op that his friend was happy about his .59 cent beef? So what is the problem.
That is low price but how the flaming flamingos can any of you grade cattle by saying they are 2 an weigh 600lbs. Without seeing em?
Oh what kind of friend lets him wallow in ignorance , Same kind that passes the bottle eater than sobering up the ol soak. Tell your buddy find new playmates their both suspect

I think the whole reason for this was the op wanted to know for himself, what could make a 2 year old beef steer in good condition only worth 50cwt. And I don't think any of us here can say. My guess was they may have been in bad condition or had some dairy in them, but idk.

scherefords":34hex9li said:
Wasn't one of the first comments by th op that his friend was happy about his .59 cent beef? So what is the problem.
That is low price but how the flaming flamingos can any of you grade cattle by saying they are 2 an weigh 600lbs. Without seeing em?
Oh what kind of friend lets him wallow in ignorance , Same kind that passes the bottle eater than sobering up the ol soak. Tell your buddy find new playmates their both suspect

Possibly the most vitriolic first posts I have seen here in a long time........of course not all first posts are really a first post ;-)

Two year old (or older) steers coming off pasture are going to sell right with the packer cows, in terms of prices. I'm with denvermartinfarms - betting they were either thin, low quality, or both. Most of the time there's a legitimate reason why cattle bring what they do, and without actually seeing them, nobody can really know whether they were too cheap or not.

Mature steers, even if you put them in the feedlot and got them fat, are never going to yield the high quality carcass (hence the value) that they would've had they been fed to maturity.

3waycross":2kpw5u4c said:
scherefords":2kpw5u4c said:

Possibly the most vitriolic first posts I have seen here in a long time........of course not all first posts are really a first post ;-)

Hello I am abel Yes I can count :)

denvermartinfarms":1luxc6ai said:
I think the whole reason for this was the op wanted to know for himself, what could make a 2 year old beef steer in good condition only worth 50cwt. And I don't think any of us here can say. My guess was they may have been in bad condition or had some dairy in them, but idk.

Exactly. I just wanted to know for myself, and since he is a friend and happy with he price, i was concerned that the conversation might get a little awkward with him, so i came here wondering if anyone knew of a situation that would cause them to bring so low. I didn't want to have the shock of my life when i sold someday.

Mixed beef steers could mean part longhorn or part jersey or part holstein and could have been thin coming off pasture As 2 year olds, mixed and thin, they would sell for slaughter cow prices. That would be anywhere from 40-60 cents on poor condition mixed longhorn or dairy. So, there is a scenario that a 2 year old would sell that cheap. Without seeing his steers, there is no way to know whether he got a fair price or whether he got taken to the cleaners.

If your friend has internet access, send him the websites of the area auction barns' market reports and let him determine if it was a good deal or not.

scherefords":11tsnzq3 said:
3waycross":11tsnzq3 said:
scherefords":11tsnzq3 said:

Hello I am abel Yes I can count :)

Does that mean you slew Cain?