Friend's low sale price question??????????

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have a friend who mentioned that he recently sold a couple of 2 yr old steers. He sold them to a friend who buys and sells cattle for a living. He mentioned that he gave him 50+ cents a pound for them and that he was pleased. Ok, after I fell out of my chair, I asked a few brief questions, but I could tell the conversation was about to get confusing, so I let it go.

In today's market, I though you could take one in with one leg and an ear off and it would bring more than that. I checked my local sale barn report, and they were between 119 and 192, depending on weight of course. Then I saw a section called slaughter cows, which were between 59 and 80. Could this have been what his steers were categorized as? What causes these to be so low? Greenhorn question, I know. :oops:

If they were big steers like they should be at 2 then the answer is simple. That fella is not his friend. :frowns:

3waycross":3nk8h6vq said:
If they were big steers like they should be at 2 then the answer is simple. That fella is not his friend. :frowns:

I can't figure it out. I know I didn't misunderstand, because he told my brother the same thing. I believe they were mixed breed beef steers.

Are there any two year old cattle bringing that low anywhere?

Kingfisher":2nkycmx1 said:
I wonder how he " weighed" em....;(

He probably didn't, but he supposedly has a good eye for that type of thing; similar to selling one to a neighbor I suppose. I think he does an average type thing. I know a guy that he sold 10 young heifers to a few years ago, and charged an amount that averaged $300 each. That was a little steep for a few of them, and a great buy for a few others. Is that a crazy, uncommon way of doing things?

I can 't say that he got took without knowing more. But this kind of thing is why I say selling at a barn or sometimes direct to a feeder where they are weighed, is the only way to go. That way you get paid for what you have and what it's worth that day.

denvermartinfarms":mw2mqt91 said:
I can 't say that he got took without knowing more. But this kind of thing is why I say selling at a barn or sometimes direct to a feeder where they are weighed, is the only way to go. That way you get paid for what you have and what it's worth that day.

I can't imagine what could have been that off about them. He said they looked good. He has a few acres and just gets a couple through the summer and sells in the winter. For whatever reason, he retained them last winter and they were around 2 years old.

You mention that you can't say he got took without knowing more. What could cause two steers to bring that low? I assumed if a beef steer had a pulse it would bring more than that?

Ok, I don't have any idea at all where I got this, but for some reason I thought I read that they were jersey dairy cross steers???? Now I see they were beef steers. No reason for them to be that cheap unless they had been starved beyond repair or had a ailment of some kind. Good chance he got took.

bottomline is this your friend got hustled.those steers shouldve brought a $1 a lb or more.

As it happens here last week at a sale I actually saw about 7 1200lb beef steers sell, that's odd to ever see. But they were cross bred beef steers and at 1210lbs they brought 1.07cwt. About the same per head as if they had weighed 400lbs less.

The amazing thing about this deal to me,is how some people that own cattle are so out of touch with things that they don't know they are selling something for less than half price, but you do see it.

the people that dont know what cattle are worth or what they should bring just use calves to keep their ag exemption on their places.

Or they were "beef mixed steers" that were half Jersey and thin. Two year olds that were going on four. I have seen some of those type sell pretty cheap at the sale yard. And what ever they got was more than I would have given for them.

melking":149tr49v said:
bigbull338":149tr49v said:
the people that dont know what cattle are worth or what they should bring just use calves to keep their ag exemption on their places.

Or some of us are trying to learn as we go.
Possibly, I just find it strange how some people can own something of that kind of value and not know better than to sell it for half price or less. Not alot of learning required to know the market value of cattle.

Dave":2fb0o1nw said:
Or they were "beef mixed steers" that were half Jersey and thin. Two year olds that were going on four. I have seen some of those type sell pretty cheap at the sale yard. And what ever they got was more than I would have given for them.
That's kinda what I was going on for some reason, but idk.

I have no idea what the deal is.
I will say that I have found the amount of people who don't know their junk isn't a real nice steer/cow/bull etc. far outpaces the amount of people who are swindlers roaming the countryside looking for unsuspecting amateurs whom they can defraud 2 head at a time. Not saying that's the case here, just without pics etc. no one really can. Hope your friend continues to enjoy his hobby despite the challenges of starting out.

js1234":3gu9tobq said:
I have no idea what the deal is.
I will say that I have found the amount of people who don't know their junk isn't a real nice steer/cow/bull etc. far outpaces the amount of people who are swindlers roaming the countryside looking for unsuspecting amateurs whom they can defraud 2 head at a time. Not saying that's the case here, just without pics etc. no one really can. Hope your friend continues to enjoy his hobby despite the challenges of starting out.

I'll say the guy who bought them is a good guy, he's someone we know and has a good rep in this area. That's what I don't get.

Did you see the animals hero? Also, I haven't met a hobby farmer yet who didn't get al least one picture of his prized cow or calf to show off to friends. Myself included. Maybe your friend has one he wouldn't mind sharing with you.
I will say that my neighbor sold some 5 wt Holstein steers to a trader and got .50/lb for them and I thought he got took

bigbull338":20a114ax said:
bottomline is this your friend got hustled.those steers shouldve brought a $1 a lb or more.

No the Bottom Line is: the man was pleased with what he was paid for them.
And he didn't post the question.
His [perhaps nosey?] neighbor/friend who doesn't know prime/choice/select from canner/cutter posted it.
Making everything else here gossip and speculation as none of us saw the cattle.
A wise man doesn't pass judgment without knowing all the facts.

Latest posts