Fresh vs. Pond Water

Help Support CattleToday:

I think they just like something different as far as well water or pond. Mine won't touch orchard grass, but love the crab grass and we've had lots of rain. Every so often I'll clean my water stations with a little bleach, cows definitely don't like it. Get a little poo in one and they won't drink out of it either, can't say I blame them. :)

I know what you mean about the pond/holes in creeks. I don't like seeing them in it, but they seem to like it. I bought a half doz recently that prefered the creek water. They acted like they didn't know what a waterer (or mineral feeder) was. They come up in the evening now and drink from the well waterer now though.

I would be worried about chlorine and a cow's digestion. Does it kill probios?

Tanks are built out of steel, wood, or earthen materials. We have tank dams here. :D

Ponds are for gold fish.

backhoeboogie":siqde5je said:
I would be worried about chlorine and a cow's digestion. Does it kill probios?

Tanks are built out of steel, wood, or earthen materials. We have tank dams here. :D

Ponds are for gold fish.

I can't remember the last time I saw a wood stock tank. Neighbor used to have one but that has been 30 years ago. I think the wood was redwood. :idea:

I avoid steel tanks. The one and only advantage steel tanks have is they are easily portable. Modern steel tanks are so thin, they have the durability of a dixie cup for strength and are not much better on corrosion.

The bottom will rust out while the sides are still good, unless the side gets caved in first :roll: Perhaps some kind of undercoating when new inside and outside the bottom would help? :idea:

The only tanks I have now are fiberglass or earthmover tires in permanent installations. :nod:

I bought one of those thin water tanks with the top corroded out. Cut it down to 30 inches. Scrap price was cheap.

It worked great for a few years. Bottom started leaking just like you said. Sides were still good. So I put about a half inch of concrete in it. Kept it wet. It is about 7 foot diameter. The concrete worked. So now I must have $50 dollars in it. Can't complain. The weaned heifers here at the house drink out of it.

My first thought about drinking out of ponds into which cattle are dumping manure, is parasites. Sure the cattle can survive, but will it reduce performance? Not all ponds are the same. If water is flowing through them and flushing them out, obviously better.

A quick search revealed this article. Talks about fencing off the pond to limit cattle in it, to reduce damage, limit the amount of cattle waste dumped in it, and limit time spent with wet feet (footrot, etc). And make a tire tank next to it.

http://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-3128.pdf

Latest posts