Fresh Fruit

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
Some friends just returned from a trip to their home state of Louisiana and brought back some oranges for us. WOW it was like eating a piece of candy! Stinks the fruit and veggies we get at the store this time of year. :roll:

Beefy":2gzhx2z9 said:
i'm eating my 10th satsuma orange for the night as i type.

Oh yeah? Well we have lutefisk! ...... :roll:

Tomatoes, oranges and cucumbers from the store should be given away they are so bad.

I planted a satsuma orange in 1989 at my parents house. I bet that tree had 700-800 oranges on it this season. They also have a grapefruit tree, but you can only eat so many grapefruit.

Fred":2abuug8t said:
I planted a satsuma orange in 1989 at my parents house. I bet that tree had 700-800 oranges on it this season. They also have a grapefruit tree, but you can only eat so many grapefruit.

same with satsumas. i think my tongue is citricked out. mom has one in her yard, it had a bumper crop this year. i asked for a tree for christmas but i havent found one yet. hers has only been here i guess about 6 or 7 years or less.

At what age do the orange trees start producing? Do you need two trees to get oranges for pollination purposes?

Plenty of satsumas around here as well. I have a brother in Orlando that has an orange tree in his backyard - I never realized that the weather had to get cold (that's cold for us down here - not northern cold) for the oranges to ripen.

angie2":14n3fvi7 said:
At what age do the orange trees start producing? Do you need two trees to get oranges for pollination purposes?
You can buy 2 foot tall trees in pots for around $20 each. They may make a few oranges the first year or two, but won't really start bearing good until about 5 years from planting. You only need one tree for pollination. I planted that satsuma tree after a big killing freeze that killed most of the trees down here. We had 3 freezes in the 80's that killed about all the citrus trees in this area, but haven't had one since 89. Global warming maybe? :D

moms got scorched this past week but i think it will be okay. it was somewhere between 19-22 that night.

From what I understand, when the temperature stays below about 25 degrees for 24 hours or more straight you've got problems.

Fred":itz2sur6 said:
From what I understand, when the temperature stays below about 25 degrees for 24 hours or more straight you've got problems.

Great! I was just getting my hopes up about getting one of those satsuma trees.

cfpinz

cypressfarms":23wwmq8f said:
Plenty of satsumas around here as well. I have a brother in Orlando that has an orange tree in his backyard - I never realized that the weather had to get cold (that's cold for us down here - not northern cold) for the oranges to ripen.

Actually cypress, they will ripen ok but will not get as sweet if they don't get some nice cold weather. I have a tangerine tree that you don't want to eat (pucker your mouth) unless it gets some cold weather to sweeten them. Trust me I am no expert on fruits (you would have to talk to Crowder about that) but my experience is cold makes sweet.

flaboy":3mi00ng4 said:
cypressfarms":3mi00ng4 said:

Actually cypress, they will ripen ok but will not get as sweet if they don't get some nice cold weather. I have a tangerine tree that you don't want to eat (pucker your mouth) unless it gets some cold weather to sweeten them. Trust me I am no expert on fruits (you would have to talk to Crowder about that) but my experience is cold makes sweet.

Flatoy, Go figger you know about cold and sweet. That may explain them charges the funeral home has pending against you. :lol:

Crowderfarms":2aq9c4pw said:
flaboy":2aq9c4pw said:
Trust me I am no expert on fruits (you would have to talk to Crowder about that) but my experience is cold makes sweet.
Flatoy, Go figger you know about cold and sweet. That may explain them charges the funeral home has pending against you. :lol:

fa la la boy, you want the name and number of my new Attorney? He's the one I use for all of my Crowbar related "issues" :roll:

MistyMorning":2qye8uog said:
Crowderfarms":2qye8uog said:
flaboy":2qye8uog said:
Trust me I am no expert on fruits (you would have to talk to Crowder about that) but my experience is cold makes sweet.

fa la la boy, you want the name and number of my new Attorney? He's the one I use for all of my Crowbar related "issues" :roll:

No need Misty, we can't get blood from a turnip and since we already know some of his relatives are pro-choice gender benders, his attorney would just plead him incompetent. :lol2:

flaboy":3a2b2wom said:
No need Misty, we can't get blood from a turnip and since we already know some of his relatives are pro-choice gender benders, his attorney would just plead him incompetent. :lol2:

OMG At first I thought you said "incomplete"! :lol: :shock: :lol:

I had an Orange tree in the greenhouse, but the wind tore up the thing and killed the tree, wondered why the fruit was nicer in the winter, now it's to late I know. Might think about another greenhouse and tree, in the spring. My Daughter has a plum tree and the plums from that are to die for.

MistyMorning":1rwqfmtx said:
flaboy":1rwqfmtx said:

OMG At first I thought you said "incomplete"! :lol: :shock: :lol:

Hey Misty I know its safe to HJ your thread ;-)
How did you put that title up above? You are right, Could have fun with that :nod:

Latest posts