Forbidden fruit

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
This is a small gathering pen about 1/4 acre that we use to stage the girls before running them across to the working pens. It's ragweed, a little clover and that's about it. I opened it up and they've eaten everything including the ragweed and hang around for hours. 100 yds away is a field of lush clover. Go figure

forbidden1.jpg

forbidden2.jpg

Ya'll have CLOVER this time of the year?

The girls seem like they are enjoying it tho'. The ragweed may possibly contain more protein/nutrients than the clover does.

MikeC":3o4e88kk said:

Normally we do too Mike. Just too dry this year.

We burnt down a pasture a few years back to knife in corn. Mowed the stalks for bedding after the corn was picked. The next spring was the best cover of clover I have seen. All native grass.

certherfbeef":27zew8fl said:
MikeC":27zew8fl said:

We burnt down a pasture a few years back to knife in corn. Mowed the stalks for bedding after the corn was picked. The next spring was the best cover of clover I have seen. All native grass.
I can't imagine having clover now. Ours is all gone by mid-June and comes back in about Oct-Nov if it rains.

That's in a normal year, this year we don't even have much of our summer perinnials. Too dry. :cry:

MikeC":2ubuzk4w said:
certherfbeef":2ubuzk4w said:
MikeC":2ubuzk4w said:

I can't imagine having clover now. Ours is all gone by mid-June and comes back in about Oct-Nov if it rains.

That's in a normal year, this year we don't even have much of our summer perinnials. Too dry. :cry:

It's very little clover and it's wilted not quite dried ourt completely. That's the benefit of the ragweed, it protected the clover by shading it

dun":37kpfs5m said:
This is a small gathering pen about 1/4 acre that we use to stage the girls before running them across to the working pens. It's ragweed, a little clover and that's about it. I opened it up and they've eaten everything including the ragweed and hang around for hours. 100 yds away is a field of lush clover. Go figure
Have an old garden spot with a lot of weeds. Fence is broken in one spot and calves have easy access. They prefer to leave growing pasture grass and come in to graze weeds. Told my wife to get a picture of a good looking black baldy. When she tried to get a good angle he put his ears back and ran like a deer.

cfpinz":3pj0jwp3 said:
Where's Pedro?

cfpinz

At the time he was over at the waterer checking out a couople of his daughters to see if they were ready or not. He's given up on the cows but today he will have a whole new world to explore and pee to sniff. 60 lovely Holsteins just waiting for his attention

I've noticed that my cattle prefer the ragweeds over their normal fescue / clover pasture. I have a 20 acre parcel that is 75% ragweed that I am going to resow this fall. I wonder if I bailed it up would they eat it like hay? :lol: With the hay shortage and cost I'll try anything!

Latest posts