Anyone ever "age" fresh chicken?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1t7qpynz said:
hooknline":1t7qpynz said:
How accurate is that? 50/50? :lol:

Well a guy from a chicken hatchery taught me. Never did it a lot but he said that's how they do it.
If it is that's the only place I've heard of doing it that way. Most of us depress the area around the vent to tell. Pretty much the same as doing rabbits.

Butcher, put on ice until finished, package each one in it's own bag and freeze. We have friends who do it for us (they have an automatic picker). They put the birds in our ice chests packed with ice. We take them home, package the birds and freeze them. They taste great.

ETA: thinking about my mother in law. She would butcher a bird for dinner. No aging or hanging. Just kill and cook it.

chippie":1jrq8kn2 said:
Butcher, put on ice until finished, package each one in it's own bag and freeze. We have friends who do it for us (they have an automatic picker). They put the birds in our ice chests packed with ice. We take them home, package the birds and freeze them. They taste great.

ETA: thinking about my mother in law. She would butcher a bird for dinner. No aging or hanging. Just kill and cook it.

Every Sunday when i was a kid. Kill two chickens pluck em and cook em. I still remember being horrified watching my Great Grandma eating those dam chicken feet.

3waycross":10jzo6e9 said:
Every Sunday when i was a kid. Kill two chickens pluck em and cook em. I still remember being horrified watching my Great Grandma eating those dam chicken feet.
As a yonker my job on sunday was to kill a chicken, mother would pluck it then I had to draw it. BTW, I used to really like eating chicken feet.

dun":3ta8wxcn said:
3waycross":3ta8wxcn said:
As a yonker my job on sunday was to kill a chicken, mother would pluck it then I had to draw it. BTW, I used to really like eating chicken feet.

:yuck:

The only chicken my family ever killed (I was maybe 5) we had for Sunday dinner. Scalding is a stinky process. We soon realized that "industrial" chicken was cheaper. I think my mom, who was responsible for the cooking, made that decision.

We do about twenty a year. I do the killing and my lovely bride cleans and cooks them. The stipulation is that none of them get cooked until the smell is completely gone from both the kitchen and her imagination.
Turkeys are alot easier both to grow and to butcher.

Father in Law bought about 30 old worn out laying hens not long after me and "x" wife were married. He killed and cleaned them all and gave us 2 or 3...we froze them and a latter the wife took one out of the freezer, thawed it, cut it up, battered and fried it. Found out with the first bite that we had "battered and fried" shoe leather. The dang dog could hardly eat the stuff. Learned later he forgot to tell us that he got them just for boiling and using in chicken and dumplings etc. Even for that you pretty well had to boil them all day or put them in a pressure cooker forever.

We just did 7 young roosters as a test run for the big run Of 17 meat chickens.
Everything went really well but there has got to be a way to keep the blood from flyin everywhere after the heads are cut off and they flail around

hooknline":2ytmktaw said:
Everything went really well but there has got to be a way to keep the blood from flyin everywhere after the heads are cut off and they flail around

Find a small traffic cone and mount it someway with the bottom turned upwards. Put the bird in it head first and out the small hole. That's the ticket.

slick4591":29zvjcop said:
hooknline":29zvjcop said:

Find a small traffic cone and mount it someway with the bottom turned upwards. Put the bird in it head first and out the small hole. That's the ticket.
I can use the same one we used for castrating the cat. He sure didn't like his dabblers being stuffed through that small hole though. :lol:

hooknline":2z57seoc said:
slick4591":2z57seoc said:
hooknline":2z57seoc said:

I can use the same one we used for castrating the cat. He sure didn't like his dabblers being stuffed through that small hole though. :lol:

I thought rubber boots were for cats. :lol:

Now you tell me. The emergency room bill for the stitches were more than what the vet wanted. :lol2:

hooknline":i3h5bg0j said:

I used to gather both legs and the ends of both wings in my hand, and hold them while my father cut the heads off. That works pretty well as long as you don't let a wing get away from you. We didn't have a traffic cone.

That reminds me, my grandparents would butcher as much as 100 chickens twice a year. My grandfather had loops of haystring hanging from the clothes line. He'd hang a dozen or so at a time from the clothesline by their feet, and then he'd just go down the line with a butcher knife cutting heads off and letting the blood fly.

Anyway, I always hated cleaning chickens. My father and I finally quit fooling with chickens and started raising rabbits instead. We figured out that any way you can cook a chicken you can cook a rabbit. And they're a lot easier to clean.

Latest posts