Freezer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

pburchett

Reaction score
At what temperature would one keep a freezer set to maximize the life of vacuum packed meat and
how long would the meat keep (as long as the packages stay sealed) before it freezer burns?
Our freezer set on medium stays at -17 F. A google search has done little good.

Anything from about 20 on down. We're eating venison that we vacuum sealed 3 years ago and it's as good as it was 3 years ago.

Best way to get the right temperature is to put some ice cream in-- if it freezes so hard you can't scoop it you have it just right.
I still have meat I am using going on 18 months- looks good, cooks good, eats good.

I think the trick to long term storage is to have a freezer dedicated to "going shopping" once a week. Instead of constantly opening and shutting one every day.

Howdyjabo":28ugly89 said:
...I think the trick to long term storage is to have a freezer dedicated to "going shopping" once a week. Instead of constantly opening and shutting one every day.
Everything here is vac-packed before freezing - even store bought poultry and such. We usually 'shop' once a month from the chest freezers in the wellhouse and transfer to the upright in the house where we usually 'shop' once a week. Works extremely well.

We had to buy a new freezer this year, it came with a temperature display on the door. It was preset to zero from the factory. The book says zero to -10 is best.

Latest posts