Freezer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I have eaten my own but not in a long time. Major reason I don't now is the frequency in which the power goes out for extended periods of time here. I'm talking a week or more without electricity..it's happened several times in the last 10 years. Rita, Ike, Harvey and a ferocious out-of-nowhere 2015 spring wind storm that was almost as bad as a hurricane. A week is a long time to keep a freezer powered up by generator..

Every couple years I keep one of my BEST steers to raise for beef.. I sell a quarter, maybe two, which pays for the butchering, etc and I eat some good beef. 2 weeks ago we had a 5 lb standing rib roast, couple days ago we had a 5 lb round roast.. both were at $50 cuts of meat and absolutely delicious! The burger meat is an order of magnitude better than what you buy in the store.. etc. When Hector is done his duty here he might go in the freezer as well, predominantly burger but I think the top cuts are still going to be good.. he'll probably hang at 1500 or more

I took a steer in a couple months ago. He was 1/16 Longhorn, but marked up like he was 1/2 or more, so he wouldn't have brought much at the sale barn. He was nursing his mama one morning and hanging up later that day. Sure made some good beef.

Last year I had a 2-year old heifer come up empty, and we were low on beef, so I had her butchered. She was fat as she could be on grass, but that sure was some tough beef. If I ever do that again it's all going to hamburger.