freemartinism in other species

Help Support CattleToday:

OK!
We all have seen double yoked eggs, so does freemartinism also occur in chickens? :)
SL

msscamp":3u0cei4k said:
milkmaid":3u0cei4k said:
And thanks Bama and msscamp. Really appreciate your comments. :)

Take care!

Simply stating facts. ;-) You too! How is school going? What have you taught your instructors so far?

:lol: School's going wonderfully. Just 13 days left 'til I see my herd and family again.

Haven't taught my instructors a thing, LOL... they've forgotten more than I'll ever know. For instance, my biology teacher is also a (human) doctor at the local hospital. He's sure taught us a LOT in that class. :nod: :)

MM,
Re:
I said nothing about deer.
Occasionally a doe is born that cannot become pregnant.
Your post: Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Back at ya!
Makes a person wonder if you even have any idea what a deer IS.
Have a nice night!
SL

The whole subject of freemartinism and an animal not breeding may not have anything to do with one another. A freemartin has a male chromosome that it gets when the fluids co-mingle early in gestation. Just because a female of any species doesn;t breed doesn;t mean that she carrys the oddball chromosome. There are too many other reasons why she may not be fertile. UC Davis can run a blood test (actually they have it done by an outside lab) that weill detect the chromosome. My old mentor used to refer to "functional freemartins". Those were heifers that weren't born twin to a bull but still didn;t settle for one reason or another.

dun

Sir Loin":g2az76l3 said:
MM,
Re:
I said nothing about deer.
Occasionally a doe is born that cannot become pregnant.
Your post: Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Back at ya!
Makes a person wonder if you even have any idea what a deer IS.
Have a nice night!
SL

:roll: Go back and read the entire post, young'un. A female deer is not the only mammal known as a doe. The context of that source is specifically discussing GOATS.

FYI, female rabbits are also known as does.

Sir Loin?

How long have you been on this forum??

FYI Milkmaid is to be revered, hahaha. I have learned more from her than I have from a lot of other people. And she is always more than willing to answer the stupid questions inexperienced me has. I do not see your need to try to prove her wrong...

TCFC

milkmaid":1d5sudkb said:
msscamp":1d5sudkb said:
milkmaid":1d5sudkb said:
And thanks Bama and msscamp. Really appreciate your comments. :)

Take care!

Simply stating facts. ;-) You too! How is school going? What have you taught your instructors so far?

:lol: School's going wonderfully. Just 13 days left 'til I see my herd and family again.

That is wonderful - on both counts! :D

Haven't taught my instructors a thing, LOL... they've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

I wouldn't count on that! :lol:

For instance, my biology teacher is also a (human) doctor at the local hospital. He's sure taught us a LOT in that class. :nod: :)

Good deal! I'm so glad that everything is going well for you! :D

TCFC,

Re:
That's public knowledge, as is yours.
Look in the left margin of my posts.

Re:
I do not see your need to try to prove her wrong...
Then you obviously didn't read this entire topic.
She asked for it, so I gave it to her.
It all boils down to her disrespectful arrogant attitude, which I don't tolerate from anyone.
Case closed.
SL

Kinda hard for me to tell attitude without seeing someones face... and I don't use face thingies well..BUT,I try not to put my attitude off on others..

I think a liger can have kittens~ :???: ~~great,now I've gotta go on another quest~ :lol: ~ Wonder where I'll wind up this time!! Some of these sites are scarie.. :oops:

Sir Loin":1am42stb said:
TCFC,

Re:
That's public knowledge, as is yours.
Look in the left margin of my posts.

Re:
I do not see your need to try to prove her wrong...
Then you obviously didn't read this entire topic.
She asked for it, so I gave it to her.
It all boils down to her disrespectful arrogant attitude, which I don't tolerate from anyone.Case closed.
SL
Whatever :roll:

peg4x4":3oery2vx said:
I think a liger can have kittens~ :???: ~~great,now I've gotta go on another quest~ :lol: ~ Wonder where I'll wind up this time!! Some of these sites are scarie.. :oops:
anything is possible in the world of genetics................

Sir Loin,to be respected,you must also be respectful..
Honestly,I don't think you have been respectful to anyone who disagrees with you.. You seem to be spoiling for a battle of wits..Too bad you're unarmed..

Thanks, ya'll. What a wealth of information. I enjoyed the friendly :oops: banter, too.
Too bad freemartinism doesn't affect cats. I love 'em but but by the time the people from town drop theirs off for us, a few can soon become too many!

Ligers can have kittens!!!!! :shock: At least that's what one site said.. So what would those be called? :roll: :?

peg4x4":39celkpq said:
Ligers can have kittens!!!!! :shock: At least that's what one site said.. So what would those be called? :roll: :?

Probably cubs since the young of both lions and tigers are called cubs.

Latest posts