Free Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":13dj8vaa said:
littletom":13dj8vaa said:
For the next couple months i have zero. We are harvesting tobacco after that very little. What little i have i like to go hunting. I hope to have more time if i get old.

If you get old?

Littletom, you will get old fast as a tobacco farmer. My dad did it from 1948 until the buy out. It wore him out but he lived to be 92.
I really like it. But it has me a little overwhelmed this year. We are running a week to ten days behind. Because of rain and 2 h2a workers not showing up. The tobacco is hurting to be cut and costing me alot of money every day it isn't. It is always very stressful but this year nothing is going smooth. Five flats on wagons last week then 3 inchs rain this weekend. I have expanded nearly every year for the last 8 up to 95 acres of burley this year. But really thinking hard about going the other way next year. I have 2 little girls and really am missing out on alot. Its pretty much daylight to dark 7 days a week. On sundays and rain days i do put things back together i have put off the others days. I honestly don't have time to fart most days. I will be mixing chemicals in the dark in the morning to start spraying at daylight to try and beat rain. Its not that i choose to be a workaholic thats just what it takes to make this work. I know exactly what i signed up for and honestly the stress is getting to me alot more than work. Right now i wish i had time to do something else fun and relaxing. I use that time to get more work done. But mostly turn the rain off already.

littletom":or8lg1m0 said:
Bright Raven":or8lg1m0 said:
littletom":or8lg1m0 said:
For the next couple months i have zero. We are harvesting tobacco after that very little. What little i have i like to go hunting. I hope to have more time if i get old.

If you get old?

Littletom, you will get old fast as a tobacco farmer. My dad did it from 1948 until the buy out. It wore him out but he lived to be 92.
I really like it. But it has me a little overwhelmed this year. We are running a week to ten days behind. Because of rain and 2 h2a workers not showing up. The tobacco is hurting to be cut and costing me alot of money every day it isn't. It is always very stressful but this year nothing is going smooth. Five flats on wagons last week then 3 inchs rain this weekend. I have expanded nearly every year for the last 8 up to 95 acres of burley this year. But really thinking hard about going the other way next year. I have 2 little girls and really am missing out on alot. Its pretty much daylight to dark 7 days a week. On sundays and rain days i do put things back together i have put off the others days. I honestly don't have time to fart most days. I will be mixing chemicals in the dark in the morning to start spraying at daylight to try and beat rain. Its not that i choose to be a workaholic thats just what it takes to make this work. I know exactly what i signed up for and honestly the stress is getting to me alot more than work. Right now i wish i had time to do something else fun and relaxing. I use that time to get more work done. But mostly turn the rain off already.

I know the routine. Tobacco must be the most labor intensive crop in the United States.

I spent the weekend in Indianapolis with my son and daughter in law.

Clint works for Eli Lilly as a medical writer/ editor for clinical drug research. Right now he is working on the drug taltz- Ixekizumab, an interleukin-17A specific monoclonal antibody, for the treatment of biologic-naive patients with active psoriatic arthritis.

My DIL is a molecular biologist who works for a company that contracts work for drug companies. She has been promoted from data validation to designing clinical drug studies.

They work an obscene number of hours a week. Under stressful deadlines. The stakes are high. Stock holders demand performance. Working for a drug company to get drugs on the market is an enormous burden on employees.

Labor is not only performed with your back. Laboring with your brain can be more demanding. However, the rewards are high. They were telling me they dropped $300 on a steak dinner at St. Elmo Steak house in downtown Indianapolis- :roll: They also have good benefits with generous vacation times. They have already been on two major vacations this year.

My son told me he was offered a promotion. He said the job would have required almost all his time - at work and at home. He turned it down. I said don't sell your entire life to a company- it is not worth it.

littletom":37ade8ec said:

I'm curious as to how you arrived at your current situation. If I interpret correctly, you are not one that says I don't want any free time. You seem to be a bit overwhelmed. You wrote:
- I have 2 little girls and am missing out on a lot
- I honestly don't have time to fart most days
- the stress is getting to me a lot more than work
- Right now I wish I had time to do something else fun and relaxing

You write that you have expanded every year for the last 8 years. Is this the first year you have experienced all this stress? Have you had more time to spend with your girls and to do other things you want to do in past years?

littletom":1368ov2f said:
Bright Raven":1368ov2f said:
littletom":1368ov2f said:

If you get old?

Wow 95 acres?!? That's amazing; hats off to you, sir! The most we ever did was around 35 acres and I hated life for most of that summer. I was done with it when the buy out went through, and haven't missed it at all. My nephew said the other day that he was thinking of getting back into tobacco. I asked him if he was #$!&ing crazy..

herofan":37ncn7r0 said:
littletom":37ncn7r0 said:

I'm curious as to how you arrived at your current situation. If I interpret correctly, you are not one that says I don't want any free time. You seem to be a bit overwhelmed. You wrote:
- I have 2 little girls and am missing out on a lot
- I honestly don't have time to fart most days
- the stress is getting to me a lot more than work
- Right now I wish I had time to do something else fun and relaxing

You write that you have expanded every year for the last 8 years. Is this the first year you have experienced all this stress? Have you had more time to spend with your girls and to do other things you want to do in past years?
Reread that last i wish i could use the fun time to get more done. How did i arrive in this situation. When it works their is nothing like it, when it doesn't nothing like it thank goodness. On a good year you think that was awesome i can do a little more next whats another 5-10 acres. And high goals and to darn much ambition. And most of my close friends grow as much or more. Its really a lifestyle you deal with everyday, I said i knew what i was getting into. With so much investment you really don't change your mind. Barns,farms, equipment, and most of all contracts you give up contract pounds you will never get them back.
This very current situation i was crying about. It rains about 3 days a week wasting alot of time we have no extra of. It takes a little rain for tobacco the rest is a big pita. And i had 2 of my 9 h2a workers no show up. One had issues getting a visa, a horse fell on the other the day before he left home. Stress comes from the financial investment. It really cost a bunch of money on per acre basis to grow this crop. Its very time sensitive when ready harvest you miss that window it gets expensive real fast. Sorry rough week

herofan":1yclnuwv said:
ga.prime":1yclnuwv said:
I don't have any free time and don't want any.

Maybe we all define free time differently. I can't imagine not having any free time. When you say you don't have any free time, does that mean you never have time to watch a ballgame or go out to eat with your family? What I consider to not be free time is time that I absolutely have no choice but to be doing the particular thing that I'm doing.

I may not always be in a coma on the sofa, but I feel like I'm in charge of my time more than most. For example, I may be planning to do some fence repair tomorrow; then my daughter in college may call and say, "Dad, I'm off tomorrow. Would you like to come down and hang out?" More times than not, I will take her up on it. Being with my daughter sounds better than fencing, and the fence will be there tomorrow.

Free time is time that is yours to control. You've already said that your career comes with constraints on your time. So you actually have very little free time.
Some people decide they won't live their lives under someone else's schedule. I did. I have to many irons in the fire. The thing is I can get out of bed in the morning and decide what I feel like doing on that particular day. It's what I work so hard for. Yes I'm always working. But I decide the when and how.
If I want to get up in the morning and go to the coast for a few days.....I don't call anyone, I just turn my phone off. To you free time is when your career let's you have it. That's not free.. :dunce: that's like a horse being turned out for a few weeks.

When I have free time, I go to Fence's place. Room and board in exchange for killing what needs killing, doctoring the occasional cow, doing my best to add to the aluminum scrap pile, and giving Skunk a good belly rub at the end of the day. Don't even have to build any fence, since I do it wrong. lol

Farm Fence Solutions":3niohxiy said:
When I have free time, I go to Fence's place. Room and board in exchange for killing what needs killing, doctoring the occasional cow, doing my best to add to the aluminum scrap pile, and giving Skunk a good belly rub at the end of the day. Don't even have to build any fence, since I do it wrong. lol

Lol...I still say a gut strain is what you get from bad mescun food.

callmefence":15hohv8f said:
Farm Fence Solutions":15hohv8f said:

Strain or stain?

Farm Fence Solutions":3ci305oe said:
callmefence":3ci305oe said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3ci305oe said:

Strain or stain?

See... you need to call it something different.....

callmefence":e74gu8i0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":e74gu8i0 said:
callmefence":e74gu8i0 said:

Strain or stain?

See... you need to call it something different.....

How about calling it the Spanx Stretch? Since it keeps the middle nice and tight, ya know. :nod:

Latest posts