Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Help Support CattleToday:

More power and energy aren't always what you want in a self defense gun/load. Big, powerful loads tend to blow right through the target at close range, which means most of the energy is lost. Ideally, you want the load to put all of its energy into the target, which equals more stopping power. It's been well documented that people under the influence of substances, or just adrenalin, can sometimes seem unaffected after being shot with large caliber weapons, especially with FMJ bullets. That's why defense loads are made to fragment at close range. I keep a 12 gauge loaded with 7.5 shot next to my bed. It won't kill every time, but a load of that to the face will stop anyone. It also won't penetrate walls.

Margonme":1o5c8t34 said:
True Grit Farms":1o5c8t34 said:
Ryder":1o5c8t34 said:
Why would you want a .410 for self defense?
If that gun is a .45/.410 I would certainly prefer the .45 for self defense.

I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.

I think you are wrong, Mr. True Grit.

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs

We'll be killing sharks next month, should kill around 600 head for the season. Bring whatever you want to shoot and as many $100. dollar bills that you care to lose. If the shark moves you lose, we'll alternate turns. But in all honesty I've never shot one with a 500S&W, shot 10 or 12 with a 460S&W though. I need to try "big boy" 50BMG and see what he can do. I'll tie a rope to it before I lean over the water with it though.

M.Magis":3u1zbygy said:
More power and energy aren't always what you want in a self defense gun/load. Big, powerful loads tend to blow right through the target at close range, which means most of the energy is lost. Ideally, you want the load to put all of its energy into the target, which equals more stopping power. It's been well documented that people under the influence of substances, or just adrenalin, can sometimes seem unaffected after being shot with large caliber weapons, especially with FMJ bullets. That's why defense loads are made to fragment at close range. I keep a 12 gauge loaded with 7.5 shot next to my bed. It won't kill every time, but a load of that to the face will stop anyone. It also won't penetrate walls.

You would be surprised I have heard when squirrel hunting they will drop a deer in his tracks at 15 yards

A .22 will drop a deer at 50ft with a head shot, that really doesn't mean anything.

In the heat of the moment, you need something that can be popped off quickly and accurately, in a compromised position, and possibly one handed. That rules out big bore hand guns from being a practical self defense arm. 9mm, 45, and 357 are the most popular for a reason.

Atimm693":1reg1nae said:
A .22 will drop a deer at 50ft with a head shot, that really doesn't mean anything.

In the heat of the moment, you need something that can be popped off quickly and accurately, in a compromised position, and possibly one handed. That rules out big bore hand guns from being a practical self defense arm. 9mm, 45, and 357 are the most popular for a reason.

Drop one a heII of lot farther than that until I was nearly grown I thought it was a deer rifle
When we got the first 22 mag we sure nuff had a long range rifle

Caustic Burno":3h57ebcu said:
Atimm693":3h57ebcu said:

Drop one a heII of lot farther than that until I was nearly grown I thought it was a deer rifle

I carried my single shot Remington 22 bolt action with a peep sight everywhere. I shot woodchucks all summer long. I could pop them right in the head up to 60 to 70 yards.