found this on the front step.

Help Support CattleToday:

NMVaquero

Reaction score
IMG_20130724_210051_489_zps94239a70.jpg

Didn't get a before pic.
IMG_20130727_113812_173_zpsea492ff1.jpg

Found these two in the garden the next day.

:deadhorse:

Ya'll need to keep a real good eye out. This is the biggest reason I don't live near my family around Trinidad. Just too many dam snakes!

NMVaquero":1n3dpnn3 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1n3dpnn3 said:
Nice!! Bet you don't have mice.

Nah, we still have those too.
Vaquero. Ruger has a single action revolver that went by that spinish name.

OK NM cowboy, if I saw that on my doorstep, I would think the Herpetology Gods had been there. :D
No that is bad news. Almost positive that is a prairre (I can never spell that word right) rattlesnake. Right???

inyati13":upqu6wzm said:
NMVaquero":upqu6wzm said:
Red Bull Breeder":upqu6wzm said:
Nice!! Bet you don't have mice.

Nah, we still have those too.
Vaquero. Ruger has a single action revolver that went by that spinish name.

OK NM cowboy, if I saw that on my doorstep, I would think the Herpetology Gods had been there. :D
No that is bad news. Almost positive that is a prairre (I can never spell that word right) rattlesnake. Right???

I own a Ruger Vaquero in 45 colt. One of my favorites.

And yes, prairie rattler. Neighbor said he found one in his cattle feed bunk today.

I used have a big ol rough place in the sand hills close to NM/Tx state line and I was covered up with those(I called them sand rattlers) They were docile compared to a diamond back, but everytime I'd hear a rattle I'd jump.
You learn to look before you picked something up and watched where you step
It was broken into different size pastures and had to use dogs to move cattle, I thought for sure I was going get a dog bit but never did
I was glad when I finally got that place sold( I had 250.00 an acre in it and that was 200.00 too much)
I have pic somewhere of one eating a horny toad

Commercialfarmer":xi9k0wh7 said:
Jogeephus":xi9k0wh7 said:
It might pay you to get some chickens or some guineas. Fantastic for snake patrol.

Do they deter adult or just juvenile?

They will circle them up and let you know the snake is there. I put 13 cockerels around the barn and they kept me from getting bit by two I would have walked right on top of but instead as I walked the path they had circled them and got my attention on them. Never had guineas but I hear they do an even better job.

Jogeephus":1mgf4bqy said:
It might pay you to get some chickens or some guineas. Fantastic for snake patrol.

My chicken don't know that. They apparently think they should coexist with them and give them all the eggs they can handle.

slick4591":6tjop5im said:
Jogeephus":6tjop5im said:

My chicken don't know that. They apparently think they should coexist with them and give them all the eggs they can handle.

You need some of those Georgia deathrowbada$$snakebeatin chickens!

slick4591":2dmpmd02 said:
Jogeephus":2dmpmd02 said:

You bring up an interesting point. The chicken snakes don't seem to get mine upset and its like they willingly let them eat the eggs but other snakes seem to catch their wrath.

Watch this video of how they will let you know when there is a snake in the yard.

[youtube]lZ2HcJNjoyg[/youtube]

Here is a good picture too.

guineas.jpg

Slick, it might be that your chickens are just gay. I'll be glad to send you some non-gay chicks but they are expensive. Very expensive. But not as expensive as emu eggs were at the peak of the market.

Jogeephus":3ev358al said:
Slick, it might be that your chickens are just gay. I'll be glad to send you some non-gay chicks but they are expensive. Very expensive. But not as expensive as emu eggs were at the peak of the market.

I might do it if they can teach mine not to be gay.

cross_7":3hp63r2l said:
I used have a big ol rough place in the sand hills close to NM/Tx state line and I was covered up with those(I called them sand rattlers) They were docile compared to a diamond back, but everytime I'd hear a rattle I'd jump.
It was broken into different size pastures and had to use dogs to move cattle, I thought for sure I was going get a dog bit but never did
I was glad when I finally got that place sold( I had 250.00 an acre in it and that was 200.00 too much)

I don't know if anyone cares but I found a pic of that place
It was a tough place to work
I don't miss it

cross_7":1bwyj5oq said:
cross_7":1bwyj5oq said:

I don't know if anyone cares but I found a pic of that place
It was a tough place to work
I don't miss it

That looks like a good place to get snake bit.

Latest posts