For those that are retired

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry":39m4ta2y said:
TennesseeTuxedo":39m4ta2y said:
sstterry":39m4ta2y said:
One of my best friends just retired after over 30 years as a very successful stockbroker in the Nashville-Brentwood area. He is definitely an overachiever. So far he seems to be adjusting quite well. He told me last week that every day is a Saturday to him now.

Check back with him after a year of that.

He has made a ton of money and was one of the top brokers in Nashville. He already has plans to start working for non-profits and charities. As he told me last year, he was ready to start giving back! I know for a fact that his local county 4-H club is going to be very surprised when he dies!

So he is going to stay busy after all. I understand completely and admire his willingness to give back.

Caustic Burno":2u6eyck0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2u6eyck0 said:
Caustic Burno":2u6eyck0 said:
TT you have to be ready to retire.
I didn't say quit achieving what is on the bucket list. I had a great job I was sick of dealing with government alphabet agencies supporting the biggest leaches of our society.Big difference in retirement and laying down and quitting, mind has to be ready.

Most of my adult life I have been in a commission based industry. Truly a produce or starve lifestyle. I know that one day I'll have to wind down but I honestly think I'll go a little bonkers. Just being idle these past few days has been difficult.

Have you thought about raising Angus cattle? Keeping bull holes filled and fence repairs up would be a lot of busy work. :lol2: The advantage of Brimmers is they go over the fences.

I've got people for that.

sstterry":2dcvoo2m said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2dcvoo2m said:
herofan":2dcvoo2m said:
I plan to retire from my public job in 4 years. Perhaps I'm in for a shock, but I'm looking forward to it. So far, I've never understood this idea that people go crazy after they retire. Of course, nobody just sits around in a chair, but I think being in charge of my own schedule and not having to worry about the pressures of a job sounds magical. If I were doing this at age 20, then I would just be a bum, but after having put in my 30 years, it just seems like another natural step in life.

Most Type A, overachieving, go getters struggle with the mundane nature of retirement.

You'll do fine.

One of my best friends just retired after over 30 years as a very successful stockbroker in the Nashville-Brentwood area. He is definitely an overachiever. So far he seems to be adjusting quite well. He told me last week that every day is a Saturday to him now.

That's when you know you're living the life when every day seems like Saturday, or for some I know who are retired, they have trouble keeping up with what day of the week it is.

TennesseeTuxedo":sbg7wmwa said:
Caustic Burno":sbg7wmwa said:
TennesseeTuxedo":sbg7wmwa said:
Most of my adult life I have been in a commission based industry. Truly a produce or starve lifestyle. I know that one day I'll have to wind down but I honestly think I'll go a little bonkers. Just being idle these past few days has been difficult.

Have you thought about raising Angus cattle? Keeping bull holes filled and fence repairs up would be a lot of busy work. :lol2: The advantage of Brimmers is they go over the fences.

I've got people for that.

Then I guess you will need more people so they can keep you busier..... :D

hurleyjd":1be7adc5 said:
Could be that you will find that live is more than working until you drop.

I'm glad I realized that early in life and have been able to live accordingly instead of wondering when I'm in the nursing home if there was more to life than work.

TennesseeTuxedo":1gaqtv4g said:
When I look back I want to say I gave 100% and didn't sleepwalk through this ole world just drawing a paycheck.

Same here, and that applies to all aspects of my life. I don't want to sleepwalk through the other important things in life and only be wide awake when I'm going for a paycheck.

herofan":2okhh6r1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2okhh6r1 said:
When I look back I want to say I gave 100% and didn't sleepwalk through this ole world just drawing a paycheck.

Same here, and that applies to all aspects of my life. I don't want to sleepwalk through the other important things in life and only be wide awake when I'm going for a paycheck.

You'll never get where I'm coming from and that's okay.

I have never worked for a paycheck a day in my life.

I sure can't see having to punch a time clock for someone else when you don't have to. Some folks have to work to afford the lifestyle that they live. Why work till you can't, if you don't have to?

TennesseeTuxedo":3orz7lar said:
herofan":3orz7lar said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3orz7lar said:

You'll never get where I'm coming from and that's okay.

I have never worked for a paycheck a day in my life.

I assume you mean you really like your career; therefore, it doesn't seem like work. I think that's great. That kind of job is rare, even if one does like the main aspect of the job. The sad part is, I've discovered that higher-ups often have a way of turning anything into a chore, but if you found a career where that doesn't happen, that is great.

Every job I ever had was 'like that'.
The job has lots less to do with it than the person doing it.
Some do it, some don't.
Some get it, some never will.

I used to work in an office. Loved my job. But, when we moved out here in NY, I just did not look for a job, stayed on the farm full time. Hubby worked full time. We were in the process of building our herd numbers, so he could retire to the farm. That never happened. Things happen in a heart beat. Make plans to do things you have never done. You know - "the bucket list". I still work on the farm (use it or lose it). But, have lots more "play time" now. My days can be as busy or lazy as I want. Good place to be "for me".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":5cxcrupz said:
I used to work in an office. Loved my job. But, when we moved out here in NY, I just did not look for a job, stayed on the farm full time. Hubby worked full time. We were in the process of building our herd numbers, so he could retire to the farm. That never happened. Things happen in a heart beat. Make plans to do things you have never done. You know - "the bucket list". I still work on the farm (use it or lose it). But, have lots more "play time" now. My days can be as busy or lazy as I want. Good place to be "for me".

That sounds like a great place to be; it sounds like your days can be whatever you want. I can't think of anything any better, which includes play time.

Latest posts