For the second time in four years

Help Support CattleToday:

You are right about the milk but his calfs do grow. We did get a bull from Judd Ranch a yr ago and am very pleased with him.

Talk to 3 way and got the scoop not suprised but yet i am suprised, have 1each red and blk gelbvieh bulls who are around 15 months and i do know who there folks are let me know if interested(located in central missouri). sorry for your bad luck it can really mess up your operation and yearly focus hope things work out.

double v":3i2xjynb said:
Talk to 3 way and got the scoop not suprised but yet i am suprised, have 1each red and blk gelbvieh bulls who are around 15 months and i do know who there folks are let me know if interested(located in central missouri). sorry for your bad luck it can really mess up your operation and yearly focus hope things work out.

Like I said, I do not blame the breeder nor would this incident stop me from buying from him again. I have known him a long time. In fact, he bought his first Gelbvieh cattle from my dad a long time ago. Things happen some time.

I just am disappointed by the timing. I was hoping for results a month ago and it just did not work that way.

Feel free to PM me any info on anything you have for sale. Pictures would be great.

i have a judd ranch bull and his calves are excellent they may feed them up, but i am not disappointed in the calves. i have never even give a second thought to the parentage of my bulls, but i raise commercial cattle. but twice that is kind of odd. i have two gelbveih bulls now i am wondering?????????

jcarkie":1qagz6jh said:
i have a judd ranch bull and his calves are excellent they may feed them up, but i am not disappointed in the calves. i have never even give a second thought to the parentage of my bulls, but i raise commercial cattle. but twice that is kind of odd. i have two gelbveih bulls now i am wondering?????????

What kind of cows are you running the GV bulls on?

Unfortunately way too often registered cattle of all breeds don't parent verify to the animal that they were registered under. This could be due to a variety of reasons:
a. wrong straw of semen was pulled from the tank without the inseminator recognizing the mix-up
b. calf was born closer to the AI date but actually sired by clean-up bull
c. bull in neighboring pasture jumped the fence to breed the cow rather than the bull that was assigned to that pasture
d. cows that calve the same day get mixed up and claim each other's calves
e. breeder intentionally records wrong animal
f. etc., etc., etc.

I am familiar with an Angus operation that parent verifies every calf born on their place and every animal they purchase. They frequently find that cow's swap calves at birth, and unfortunately frequently the cattle that they buy (often high dollar animals) don't verify to the sire or dam.

If it is common to have such problems with papers or mix up, I find this to be total unacceptable...95% is a joke it should be 99.9% anthing else is wrong...

Black Coos":l61sde4s said:
If it is common to have such problems with papers or mix up, I find this to be total unacceptable...95% is a joke it should be 99.9% anthing else is wrong...

I was told once upon a time that one study showed roughly 20% of registered animals were misregistered. The only way to remedy this is to require all animals to be DNA tested before registering them. This is not cost effective as of today.

I don't know if the Simmental breed still does this, but they used to randomly require DNA testing. All AI bulls & donor dams have to be DNA tested, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to population.

Holstein Canada used to pull random tests. They would just show up at a Dairy and pick a few cows and heifers and blood test them. There were a few farms that were targeted often because of pedigree mess ups. If you have a large herd I can see mistakes being made once and a while, like calves being swapped at birth .

For the American Red Angus Association all AI bulls and donor cows have to be DNA verified.

Latest posts