For the second time in four years

Help Support CattleToday:

CKSGelbvieh

Reaction score
I just got DNA results back on a new herdsire and he did not DNA test to his registered parents. The first time, three years ago, the purebred Gelbvieh bull was actually a 50% Balancer out of an Angus sire. This time, my purebred Gelbvieh did not blood type to his dam. No idea who or what he is and since the breeder I bought it from raises Balancers, I would wager he is not a purebred after all. am really frustrated tonight as I was waiting for these results before I turned my new bull out to pasture tomorrow and now I need a purebred quality bull tomorrow. Oh well, weird things happen some times and I am just glad I got the results before I turned the bull out. Anyone know where I can find a purebred quality Gelbvieh bull out there? Black or red I do not care.

CKSGelbvieh":352dtazo said:
I just got DNA results back on a new herdsire and he did not DNA test to his registered parents. The first time, three years ago, the purebred Gelbvieh bull was actually a 50% Balancer out of an Angus sire. This time, my purebred Gelbvieh did not blood type to his dam. No idea who or what he is and since the breeder I bought it from raises Balancers, I would wager he is not a purebred after all. am really frustrated tonight as I was waiting for these results before I turned my new bull out to pasture tomorrow and now I need a purebred quality bull tomorrow. Oh well, weird things happen some times and I am just glad I got the results before I turned the bull out. Anyone know where I can find a purebred quality Gelbvieh bull out there? Black or red I do not care.

I have a real nice 75% Red bull. If you breed him to purebred cows the calves qualify as purebred. Wish I had some 88% or better but he is the closest I can come.

Check your PM's for the reg number and a couple of pictures.

Kingfisher":1sjth51o said:
What made you start doing that sort of testing? Thanks in advance. Sorry for your trouble....

The first bull was tested because I collected semen on the bull and was going to market it and to get an AI permit, they have to be parent verified. He did not pass to Carolina Fortune who was supposed to be his sire. It was not and he ended up being a Balancer sired by an Angus AI sire. The breeder not only paid me my money back but also paid me for the semen I collected and took the semen. He was very accommodating and I would still buy a bull from him today. I bought the bull because he was the cleanest fronted Fortune son I had seen, which he unfortunately wasn't a Fortune son after all.

The most recent bull was a very clean fronted, long bodied bull that I really liked. His AI sire is a bull I had wanted to use, but had not yet, so I bought this son instead. With as clean fronted as he was and as much as he looked Angus like, I told the breeder before I bought him that I wanted him parent verified before I turned him out to pasture. The results were due today and I have my other bulls turned out already. He did not verify to his dam which means she and another cow must have switched calves at birth. And with my luck, I off course bought him! I have no doubt this breeder will also be very accommodating to work with, but unfortunately I will be left scrambling for a bull.

But that is why I test them now.

tsmaxx47":1t17crki said:
good info to know, same source?
Two very different and very reputable sources. Will not name them, but I would not flinch from doing business with either one again.

CKSGelbvieh":28j4mqgu said:
Kingfisher":28j4mqgu said:
What made you start doing that sort of testing? Thanks in advance. Sorry for your trouble....

The first bull was tested because I collected semen on the bull and was going to market it and to get an AI permit, they have to be parent verified. He did not pass to Carolina Fortune who was supposed to be his sire. It was not and he ended up being a Balancer sired by an Angus AI sire. The breeder not only paid me my money back but also paid me for the semen I collected and took the semen. He was very accommodating and I would still buy a bull from him today. I bought the bull because he was the cleanest fronted Fortune son I had seen, which he unfortunately wasn't a Fortune son after all.

What happen to that Bull?

The most recent bull was a very clean fronted, long bodied bull that I really liked. His AI sire is a bull I had wanted to use, but had not yet, so I bought this son instead. With as clean fronted as he was and as much as he looked Angus like, I told the breeder before I bought him that I wanted him parent verified before I turned him out to pasture. That makes sense considering your prior experience..........i bet that made the sellers eye big....:)

The results were due today and I have my other bulls turned out already. He did not verify to his dam which means she and another cow must have switched calves at birth. And with my luck, I off course bought him! I have no doubt this breeder will also be very accommodating to work with, but unfortunately I will be left scrambling for a bull. Thanks for your reply. I hope it all turns out well for both of you.

But that is why I test them now.

Kingfisher":34kegp49 said:
CKSGelbvieh":34kegp49 said:
Kingfisher":34kegp49 said:

What happen to that Bull?
The breeder took him back and resold him

That makes sense considering your prior experience..........i bet that made the sellers eye big....:)

Since he is also a purebred breeder and a long time friend he understood why I requested it and he had not problem saying that was fine with him. Not sure what his response will be to finding out he did not pass. I did not find out until 10:15 tonight and he does not know yet

Thanks for your reply. I hope it all turns out well for both of you.

It will all work out somehow. I just don't like surprises though

Probably the reason all Hereford bulls must have DNA tests to register as of this year I believe.

Jim

SRBeef":1cjlrmbw said:
Probably the reason all Hereford bulls must have DNA tests to register as of this year I believe.

Jim

A whole lot of in breed controversies (some real and some just slander) would never have happened if Hereford had had DNA testing technology and rules during the past 40 years. This is also why I don't have a whole lot of faith in ten generation pedigree searches. A ranch with 500 registered Hereford (or substitute any breed here) cows and 30 Hereford bulls running around is going to have bulls jumping fences and cows swapping calves and cowboys misidentifying the dams of calves or just writing the wrong number down on the regn papers. You would like to think that a well managed and honest ranch has 95% accuracy on such things but on a herd that size that is still 25 head of calves they get wrong every year

CKSGelbvieh":1giwq2uc said:
Where are you located? I know where some bulls might be in KY.

Located in Central Iowa tom4018. Trying to either find a really good bull worth using as a purebred herd sire for multiple years otherwise I am just going to find a bull that can clean up my heifers for one year and move my heifer bull to the cow pasture.

CKSGelbvieh":31glrad9 said:
Located in Central Iowa tom4018. Trying to either find a really good bull worth using as a purebred herd sire for multiple years otherwise I am just going to find a bull that can clean up my heifers for one year and move my heifer bull to the cow pasture.
Got a friend that uses a lot of the Judd Ranch genectics, but that would be a haul.

tom4018":hgfv3x6q said:
CKSGelbvieh":hgfv3x6q said:
Got a friend that uses a lot of the Judd Ranch genectics, but that would be a haul.

Especially with that creep feeder strapped to the top of the stock trailer!

3waycross":2jxy90f1 said:
tom4018":2jxy90f1 said:
CKSGelbvieh":2jxy90f1 said:

Especially with that creep feeder strapped to the top of the stock trailer!

I don't know anything about Judd Ranch, are they are program that creeps heavily? Daughter bought a heifer from this guy here to show and she has been a excellent cow.

I have a beautiful deep red virgin 2 year old that would be perfect for your cows . His dam is a Moderator daughter and his sire is a Freedom Fog son, he was just had his vet check and measured 44 cm. never has seen grain in life and is parentage verified. I think we are a little out of your way though. ;-)

There are still good bulls all around for sale, I am sure you will find one soon. :)

I do have a Gelbvieh bull reg # 1164934 I am close to Carthage IL. Let me know if you want more imfo

Wish it was out of a different sire Jerry. 2106K is a milk killer. Thanks for the response.