for the members in texas that need hay

Help Support CattleToday:

No problem slick, and my comments were not directed at any members as much as they were people in general. If you've located good hay at that price buy the whole load and sell it to your friends plus a handling fee. There's no way they will get hay delivered if they promise to buy it AFTER seeing it. They gotta have some trust in the source and prepay sight unseen. Heck, I still have to secure a truckload for my own needs. But I trust my hay guy to make sure he gets me covered and with quality hay

hay prices an hauling will kill you no matter what you do.any kind of hay good or bad will run from $115 to $150 a bale delivered.ive put the pencile to it an we can feed a hay replacer feed cheaper than buying hay.right now we are feeding range meal an lick tubbs to the cows,an they are on 30acs of grass.have another 30acs of grass we can move them to.will do the heavy cull of the cows heifers an calves this fall.i know a guy that sold his herd today so he can sell his hay for $125 a bale.

bigbull338":3w157spl said:
hay prices an hauling will kill you no matter what you do.any kind of hay good or bad will run from $115 to $150 a bale delivered.ive put the pencile to it an we can feed a hay replacer feed cheaper than buying hay.right now we are feeding range meal an lick tubbs to the cows,an they are on 30acs of grass.have another 30acs of grass we can move them to.will do the heavy cull of the cows heifers an calves this fall.i know a guy that sold his herd today so he can sell his hay for $125 a bale.

Welcome back Scott, we missed you!

thanks knersie had alot going on here.i think im back for awhile unless i get overloaded again.

Gotta give the guy credit for trying to help the guys in trouble down south, at least he is trying to help. Yeah there might be cheaper or better ways to survive this situation but he is putting forth an effort. My hats off to you. I would consider baling corn stalks and sending them south but it prob wouldn't be cost effective either.

I have worked out a few deals with some folks here in
arkansas about swaping some hay and milo stalks for some 3 weight calves, if that would help any of you out in Texas or Oklahoma just send me a pm.

New guy here,Like to stop by and read/learn when I have the time.Curious,after reading how shipping seems to be the killer for getting hay to Texas,Has any body looked at rail?I know it might be more work to load and unload ,but a box car could sure hold a lot of hay!Just a thought...
Russ

Russ,I posed that question a long time ago . Of course the problem is just here on our forum we are spread out all over. Just those listed in central and east texas is a long travel.

Surely one of the ''big guys'' would have access to a rail siding .If they would look into it I bet it could become a nice,read profitable ,side line.It could be set up as a hay warehouse,clearing yard and be brokered out to all points of the state at a REASONABLE profit.no point in gouging another farmer in need ,the world likes doing that enough now.
Imagine a large lot of hay ,thousands of bales,That could be ordered from.Buyers that could travel and grade hay by regions.I'm in Indiana ,very small by the standards here.But if I could sell hay for say $35-50 for a small 4x5 round it would really help me out.I sure MANY other small guys would love to be able to do the same,it would help bale out the ranchers without raping them.Win-Win.
I know your fight a major drought this year but I believe it has been on going,could be wrong.This could be a long term solution.My .02 for all its worth.
Russ

Remember, the railroads were given huge parcels of land and mineral rights and other gifts to get them to build railroads to service this country. Then, in the last 30 years, they have been allowed to take out so many of the lines that serviced the rural areas, even though they had been paid in advance with those gifts. Most all towns in my area lost their rail tracks and service, so railroads do not have the capacity nor are they located to serve as they once did.

russ61":1up922ju said:
Surely one of the ''big guys'' would have access to a rail siding .If they would look into it I bet it could become a nice,read profitable ,side line.It could be set up as a hay warehouse,clearing yard and be brokered out to all points of the state at a REASONABLE profit.no point in gouging another farmer in need ,the world likes doing that enough now.
Imagine a large lot of hay ,thousands of bales,That could be ordered from.Buyers that could travel and grade hay by regions.I'm in Indiana ,very small by the standards here.But if I could sell hay for say $35-50 for a small 4x5 round it would really help me out.I sure MANY other small guys would love to be able to do the same,it would help bale out the ranchers without raping them.Win-Win.
I know your fight a major drought this year but I believe it has been on going,could be wrong.This could be a long term solution.My .02 for all its worth.
Russ
and that $35 to $50 a bale hay becomes $100 - $150 pr bale hay by the time you add freight to it and it arrives in Tx
then you have the cost of handling that hay on the other end at least twice
and rail freight isn't as cheap as it used to be if it was the RRs wouldn't be struggling and you sure wouldn't see 1000s of trucks running from the east coast to the west coast and back every day on the highways
it amazes me that people are so blind that they don't realize the Freight cost is a major part of EVERYTHING they buy everyday and the freight cost is driven by the fuel prices

Talk about luck. Just sit down to look at the computer and one of my Facebook friends runs a feed store out of Bogata, TX. He was advertising 4x5 grass for 65.00 a roll. Says they'll be tight so I put my order in. It's a bit of a haul, but I'll still be saving money.

slick4591":2e0vos3f said:
Talk about luck. Just sit down to look at the computer and one of my Facebook friends runs a feed store out of Bogata, TX. He was advertising 4x5 grass for 65.00 a roll. Says they'll be tight so I put my order in. It's a bit of a haul, but I'll still be saving money.

Certainly closer than from bogota colombia!

stocky":3qj4drgt said:
Remember, the railroads were given huge parcels of land and mineral rights and other gifts to get them to build railroads to service this country. Then, in the last 30 years, they have been allowed to take out so many of the lines that serviced the rural areas, even though they had been paid in advance with those gifts. Most all towns in my area lost their rail tracks and service, so railroads do not have the capacity nor are they located to serve as they once did.

That's the truth we don't even have a rail line in the county any more.

Latest posts