for the members in texas that need hay

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My hay supplier is trying to nail down final cost on hay delivered from samsula Fl to your location. Right now he's thinking 3.50-3.70/mile one way to where you are.he's trying to nail down loaded back hauls. Obviously. East texas would be cheap than central or west. This isn't going to be weeds, but most likely bahia hay unless he buys hay from elsewhere.and we're not sure yet how many 4x5's he can fit.it may be an open flatbed semi..don't know yet. if interested post up. First come first serve in order of replies to this thread. Please no pms because I want this to be fair and open and obviously there's a limit.
As soon as I have hard details I will post up as well

And for the record I'm not making a penny or getting hay off this deal.....strictly to help ut

Slick..got you on top.. Once I have solid info, I will post it and pm my hay guys number to the people that respond to this in the order of response

Google Maps says more like 950 miles, but I get what you're saying, AC. Everything I've found around here is nothing but weeds, so show me some decent stuff in my area for that or less and I'm there. My hay man is also a very good friend and he is looking for hay for a number of folks, so that's really telling me something. I've decided that selling my few is not going to happen at this point. Besides, it don't cost anything to talk to the man and see what he's got.

at that price would'nt u be better to feed cubes? especially when u consider that u get no waste with cubes.i know some cant feed cubes because u have to do it every day versus being able to throw a round bale or 2 in the feeder and ur good to go for a bit.i know u would prolly still want some hay for ruffage though.

slick4591":3qqfn6vz said:
Google Maps says more like 950 miles, but I get what you're saying, AC. Everything I've found around here is nothing but weeds, so show me some decent stuff in my area for that or less and I'm there. My hay man is also a very good friend and he is looking for hay for a number of folks, so that's really telling me something. I've decided that selling my few is not going to happen at this point. Besides, it don't cost anything to talk to the man and see what he's got.
Mapquest was 1094 miles

my point is you could buy lesser quality hay or cornstalks for 1/2 the cost then add a protein supplement for less money and your cows would do better

You don't need HIGH quality expensive hay you would be better off feeding cornstalk then feeding 5lbs of cubes pr hd pr day or a protein tub and it would be cheaper than feeding
the hay plus you will more than likely still need to feed a couple pounds of cubes or proetin pr day

say corn stalk are cost $60 that is $.10 pr lb x30lbs so cost is $3 pr hd pr day and they will avg about 5% protein and a 20% protein supplement is costing$.20 pr lb x5lbs =$1.00
your cost for the cow pr day is $4pr cow pr day
the hay is $125 pr bale avg 800lbs at 9% protein
cow eats 30lbs x$.16 pr lb cost is $4.80 pr day
plus you will still need 2lbs or protein supplement pr day @$.40
for a total cost pr cow pr day of $5.20
with the corn stalks and cubes you are getting 6.5lbs or protein pr day
and with the hay and cubes you are getting 3.1lbs or protein pr day at a higher cost pr animal pr day

and I know their are people that say Cornstalks are crap well more than likely they have NEVER feed them theirselves
I have seen what they do and how cows eat them and how 500lb calves can gain weight on them so I know they aren't crap

if you can't fed cubes try a free choice cotoonseed and salt mix for you added protein source or protein tubs

This may not be practical for some.I figured any options were better than none. I thought those that are feeding junk hay now would be interested. And like it was said, it doesn't cost anything to talk to the guy.

hooknline":spwknt1o said:
This may not be practical for some.I figured any options were better than none. I thought those that are feeding junk hay now would be interested. And like it was said, it doesn't cost anything to talk to the guy.
I wasn't implying that it wasn't a good idea but there is hay in places alot closer than Florida but the cost of freight even from those places drive the cost of Hay up to where the prices are extremely high
I was just trying to point out what the benefits and the cost are associated with freighting hay
and show the numbers on other ways to feed
just because what seems cheaper in reality it may not be
it is times like these that yoiu have to think outside of the box and feed things that normally you wouldn't

hooknline":3rga0nns said:
But they can feed JUNK hay and add protein to it and still come away with more $$$ in their pocket and the end result can be the same or better in alot of instances

Alot of people think that Cornstalks are JUNK because it is out of the realm of what is normal for them
and CS bales are not JUNK and they can add alot of options for a producer
that is kinda like twhen brewers and distillers grains first came out people would say how crappy they were and a cow could never survive on them when in reality they are a great alternative

I understood what you're saying, and appreciate the input. The hay guy is also getting with his contacts from here to canada and all over the country to see if he can find hay closer to Texas and just kind of organize things. He has freight friends in dallas that are begging for trucks to run loads. So the back hauls may actually be hay and the front sides the freight. That could be a game changer right there.

if you can get corn stalkes in texas at a reasonable cost go for it. add 1 lb bean meal per head, per cow, per day, along with mineral and you are doing ok. if you are feeding straw bales add another pound bean meal. should carry the cows through the winter. but be prepared they will eat more cornstalks than good quality hay so you will have to buy more stalks than hay. David

angusdave63":2aieucbj said:
if you can get corn stalkes in texas at a reasonable cost go for it. add 1 lb bean meal per head, per cow, per day, along with mineral and you are doing ok. if you are feeding straw bales add another pound bean meal. should carry the cows through the winter. but be prepared they will eat more cornstalks than good quality hay so you will have to buy more stalks than hay. David

Got to have bunks to feed beanmeal loose...same for meal and salt. With our milder winters I'd probably just go with 10 lbs. of 20% cubes and not worry about them being full all the time. They can find some nibblings for additional roughage.

After doing some research and talking to people who know what the deal is, I've found out there's plenty of quality hay out there but people don't want to pay going rate for hauling it. I was under the impression that there wasn't much quality hay to be had even at going rates and just wanted to try to help out. For that reason I'm standing down from this deal, but if anyone wants to talk to my hay guy, pm me and ill give his number direct. Seems people want quality hay hauled at cost with no thought for the guy driving it out.

hooknline":pm0sv1fe said:
After doing some research and talking to people who know what the deal is, I've found out there's plenty of quality hay out there but people don't want to pay going rate for hauling it. I was under the impression that there wasn't much quality hay to be had even at going rates and just wanted to try to help out. For that reason I'm standing down from this deal, but if anyone wants to talk to my hay guy, pm me and ill give his number direct. Seems people want quality hay hauled at cost with no thought for the guy driving it out.
Hookline, that was very good of you to try to put that togather. Freight is the big problem. Like the post I made earlier about guys in Texas renting or buying a truck an hauling themselves and no one rally got what I was saying.

hooknline":38x4uoby said:
Hook no doubt you're right but when you put the cost of the hay (depending on quality of course) with the cost of hauling it's just not a workable solution for most. Doesn't leave much choice but to start removing cattle from the herd or selling the herd.

Tb, I don't blame anyone for selling out or wanting the hay cheaper..I would too. I even contacted some fuel suppliers to see if we could pre-buy fuel at cost or cheaper given the situation. That went nowhere fast.
The real complaints arent that there isn't quality hay. Its that it costs too much. Where I was thinking that there wasn't enuf good hay within a truckable difference to match or better the prices being paid.. Oh well...

Since I wasn't needing a full load I was talking to some friends and neighbors to see if they were willing to go in with me. It wasn't that they were against the price per bale, they had to see the quality first. Since I couldn't guarantee the quality the deal fell apart pretty quickly. My guess is they will be looking for hay in January or February and they'll have wished they had another chance for that price should they keep hanging on. Meanwhile, I think I have located some of the cheap stuff for $115.00 a bale. It's all been trucked in. Hooknline, I do want to thank you for your efforts.

Latest posts