For the Gelbvieh breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
I have been considering this bull 1280709, and would appreciate ya'lls thoughts. Will be using on herefordcross, Char cross, and a few braunvieh cows. All heifers have or will be bred by my heifer bull. So, heifers are not in the plan at this time. I usually sell at the barn, but may keep a heifer or two. Our heifer bull is doing the job for 1st timers, but I believe we are sacrificing some growth from the cows. This bull is well muscled and would add some pounds. Just, never owned a Gelbvieh before.

So whats the question, numbers on the bull look fine. What does he look like and what do your cows look like????

I wanted opions on the bull, as I'm not real familiar with the breed personally. The bull looks stout,deep, well muscled, big footed, and eye appeal. He would be used on Hereford x Charolais cross, Hereford x Braunvieh, braunvieh and a few Brahma cross cows. The F-1's were raised on the farm here. I'm looking to increase weaning weights and most will be sold at the barn.

Thanks, for confirming the numbers look fine. Based on the discription of the cows, what can I expect?

Brimmer,

From a numbers standpoint, he is better than breed average on: birth weight, calving ease, weaning weight, calving ease maternal (top 10% of breed), ribeye, and marbling. If you are retaining heifers, his epd's point to greater than breed average on milk (top 15% of breed), heifer pregnancy, and pregnancy at 30 months. The only epd's of concern are slightly lower yearling weights, stayablility, and carcass weights. He appears to offer strong maternal and strong carcass traits with breed average growth rates. If you are pleased with his phenotype, all that is left is geehaw.

Regards,
Greenjeans

Thanks Greenjeans, I geehawed this afternoon. I pick the bull up next week. Maybe I can get a picture of him in a couple of weeks. His ultra sound weight was 1585lbs and he passed soundness exam at 95 at 20 months old.

Not real sure on the frame score. I pick him up Saturday and will let you know. A guess would be maybe 5-6.

Thanks thommoos. These 2 bulls due share similar numbers. I'm glad to here of your success and sounds like you are proud of the calves. Hope to have some of the same success. With the beefmaster cows, you probably have not had any calving issues? Looking forward to picking him up this weekend. The cows are riding each other and ready for the bull.

brimmer X":2dw6akjt said:
Thanks thommoos. These 2 bulls due share similar numbers. I'm glad to here of your success and sounds like you are proud of the calves. Hope to have some of the same success. With the beefmaster cows, you probably have not had any calving issues? Looking forward to picking him up this weekend. The cows are riding each other and ready for the bull.

this Bull I have is not near as tall as me last Beefmaster, alot less "Bone". I have been trying to size him up to my neighbors Chars' but his are 5 to 7 years old. I think mine has another year of growing.

Try to get it soon. Picked him up Saturday and he immediately went to work. There was a injury in the loading process. Not to the bull but to the breeder. While closing the cut gate of the trailer, the bull kicked the gate. The cut gate hit the breeder square in the forehead, rolling him out the back of the trailer. I pushed the gate back and my wife latched it from the other side. The man, received 10 stitches across his forehead, and the cat scan came back clear. He and I laughed some, when I called to check on him that night. It could have been much worse. He said frame size of the bull was about 5.8 .

We did get some fine bacon and pork chops from a Hatfield's. A small processor outside of Neosho.

Latest posts