For Anyone Unaware of this Law

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep I knew about that ... What really sucks is the CFL'S still have kinks in them. Most stores have a ton of them stock piled but manufacturing will cease.

I have 300 watt bulbs in all my barns. Does anyone know if I will still be able to get them?

Bigfoot":v33hgacf said:
I have 300 watt bulbs in all my barns. Does anyone know if I will still be able to get them?

If im not mistaken and youre talking about the huge lights kinda like dusk to dawn I believe you will be able to because alot of the dept of transportation has so many road lights out there with them and I don't know if they make cfl's that big.

guess i will use hurricane lamps...the new style twisty type bulbs have mercury in them,,it busts u need haz-mat team to come clean it up...its good economically... i may go with LED Christmas lights all year round instead :)

I've been buying up 60 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs for the last year. I have 100s and 100s of them.

I'll be in the shadows of a street corner next year, in a dark trenchcoat and floppy hat.

"Psst--hey buddy, yeah--you. c'mere--wanna score some incandesents? I got the real thing, GE and Sylvannias--not those cheap back room knockoffs. Ya don't like those curlycue things--do Ya?? I knew it the minute i laid eyes on ya. Here--try one of these--it'll brighten up your life, I'll make ya a good deal, on the lowdown--tell your friends. No, no phones--no address-- I'll be around.'

lol too funny, but I will make sure I find out which corner and is the coat n hat all you'll be wearing? sorry just had a flash back of "flashers" from the 70's .. Tim Conway too with the Teddy Bear pj's :)

skyhightree1":1on7gnoy said:
Bigfoot":1on7gnoy said:

If im not mistaken and youre talking about the huge lights kinda like dusk to dawn I believe you will be able to because alot of the dept of transportation has so many road lights out there with them and I don't know if they make cfl's that big.

These are just like the incondescent bulbs I use in the house, they are just bigger. A little bigger than my fist, and 300 watts. They put out a lot of light. I hate fluorescent lights in a barn. They don't get bright on a cold day. If they do quit making the 300 watt that I use, I wonder what would mount to the junction box that I already have, that would be good in a barn?

We just replaced our dusk/dawn security lights (were no longer functioning well) outside of the barn with an LED version and we like them. Expensive up front but they draw very little power and should last a long time. We'll see how they hold up. I still prefer incandescents in the barn, LED are too spendy yet to have broken (it would have been nice to bring down the cost on LED by the time the others disappeared). My dad's automatic waterer is heated by 100W bulb underneath, he stocked up on them because in his case he is actually using the wasted energy.

redcowsrule33":tt2svv48 said:
We just replaced our dusk/dawn security lights (were no longer functioning well) outside of the barn with an LED version and we like them. Expensive up front but they draw very little power and should last a long time. We'll see how they hold up. I still prefer incandescents in the barn, LED are too spendy yet to have broken (it would have been nice to bring down the cost on LED by the time the others disappeared). My dad's automatic waterer is heated by 100W bulb underneath, he stocked up on them because in his case he is actually using the wasted energy.

Do they not come with a warranty? We are putting led on all the rigs instead of flourescent and they have a five year warranty on them. Could just be the ones we are using.

Bigfoot, there are exemptions for special use bulbs, so the manuf are not precluded from continuing to make them. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will, though. I expect to see those replaced with newer technology as well. Most likely halogen or LED, probably the latter. Unfortunately, I think halogen is on the way out as well. CFL's will eventually be banned as well.

The eco-terrorists have been trying to get this this light bulb bill passed for over 20 years. They finally did it when the left controlled both houses in '07. I will never understand why Bush signed it, but then again, he let the EPA put the lead based paint regulations in place as well. :mad: I've been lamenting it since the day it passed, but nobody was listening.

Stockpile as much as you can 'til they're gone. CFL's are horrible. The mercury thing is bad enough, but the quality if light is the worst. They went from the sickly green/blue, to a hideous pink. It's a nightmare to choose colors for a client room, only to have the room subjected to that stupid pink glow in the evening. And you have to have a million of them to properly light a space.
The LED's are only marginally better in my opinion, because I still don't like the color of the light. It's too blue, but they are continuing to improve them, so maybe one day they'll come up with something that works. For now, I'm still primarily specifying halogen where possible.

CottageFarm":uieqg4o6 said:
Stockpile as much as you can 'til they're gone. CFL's are horrible. The mercury thing is bad enough, but the quality if light is the worst. They went from the sickly green/blue, to a hideous pink.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I have bought many boxes of the incandescents in the past year. A box here, a box there, etc. Haven't been able to find the 75's for about a year. We still use a 'regular' lightbulb from time to time, under the sink on wicked cold nights to prevent the pipes from freezing. I know those ridiculous CFL's and LED's can't do that.

Its not just the fact that incandescents are being "outlawed". Its the fact that we have one more 'freedom' taken away. The freedom of choice on lightbulbs.....of all things! How STUPID the whole thing is, unreal really.

We really are becoming the frog in the kettle of water. :(

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2aa0ab6q said:
CottageFarm":2aa0ab6q said:
Stockpile as much as you can 'til they're gone. CFL's are horrible. The mercury thing is bad enough, but the quality if light is the worst. They went from the sickly green/blue, to a hideous pink.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I have bought many boxes of the incandescents in the past year. A box here, a box there, etc. Haven't been able to find the 75's for about a year. We still use a 'regular' lightbulb from time to time, under the sink on wicked cold nights to prevent the pipes from freezing. I know those ridiculous CFL's and LED's can't do that.

Its not just the fact that incandescents are being "outlawed". Its the fact that we have one more 'freedom' taken away. The freedom of choice on lightbulbs.....of all things! How STUPID the whole thing is, unreal really.

We really are becoming the frog in the kettle of water. :(

Katherine

This is just the final phase of the ban. The initial phase went into effect in Jan of this year, which banned everything 75 watts & up, that's why you haven't been able to find those 75 watt bulbs. I use 75 watt bulbs in my greenhouse to keep plants from freezing in March and April. Guess I'll be out of the nursery business when I run out. I also use 75 watt bulbs for my poultry water heaters. Guess I'll have to go buy the $50 heaters instead of my $5.00 improvised version that works just as well and on the same principle. Yes, major intrusion on personal liberty. :mad: :bang:

:mad: well another thing they are trying to get passed is elimination of "landline telephones" My wife and i both have smartphones (Verizon) which our service seems to stop at our Driveway. I only hope by the time they do this we will have better service ...But in my mind it makes it easier for Uncle Sam to shut down our phones at any rate when the power goes out there will be no phone Talk about BullShyt :mad:

Latest posts