For all that can tell if a heifer is bred from a pic...

Help Support CattleToday:

TxSimbrahShower

Reaction score
I have been watching the Eyeball It post, it is very interesting that some can tell from a picture if a cow is bred or not. So now tell me if this heifer is bred or not.

dsc00040.jpg

dsc000452.jpg

The rear shot says either open or very shortbred.
Now for a little folklore, kind of in the same vein as the farmers almanac and the signs. If you suspend an object from a piece of light thread over the middle of the cow/heifer it will indicate if she's bred and the gender of the calf. This isn't like the pointed north when they'rebred giving bulls and south giving heifers.
It's actaully an old farmers wife deal to tell the gender of the baby, but it also works on cattle.
A couple of years ago started we checking some of the cows as they went through the chute, we only did it for a couple of years, more as a joke then anything else. Out of 50 some odd trys it was wrong once.

dun

dun":1bdszays said:
The rear shot says either open or very shortbred.
Now for a little folklore, kind of in the same vein as the farmers almanac and the signs. If you suspend an object from a piece of light thread over the middle of the cow/heifer it will indicate if she's bred and the gender of the calf. This isn't like the pointed north when they'rebred giving bulls and south giving heifers.
It's actaully an old farmers wife deal to tell the gender of the baby, but it also works on cattle.
A couple of years ago started we checking some of the cows as they went through the chute, we only did it for a couple of years, more as a joke then anything else. Out of 50 some odd trys it was wrong once.

dun
Dowsing.

The current avatar is the preg test kit we used this year.

dun

Dun, I forot how that test works. I remember using it on my dogs and cats many years ago, and it worked then. Seems what determined the sex was if the washer would swing in a circle or if it would just swing back and forth. Is this how it worked for you? Chuckie

Chuckie":9i7neazj said:
Dun, I forot how that test works. I remember using it on my dogs and cats many years ago, and it worked then. Seems what determined the sex was if the washer would swing in a circle or if it would just swing back and forth. Is this how it worked for you? Chuckie

Right. It's kind of funny though that for my wife the movement is very slight, for me it's very pronounced.
But witching doesn't work for her but it does for me. I guess it's body chemistry or something, don't know, but it's worked well for us

dun

OK, I can't hold it in anymore and the answer is........ :arrow: :arrow:

This was my sons commercial heifer for the 2004 fair. When she was about 13 1/2 months old (1128 lbs) we put her in with the bull for 12 to 14 days, sooooooo, in this picture she was a little over 5 months bred. The day or so after this picture was taken we delivered her to the ranch that bought her, then about 4 months later she had a bouncing baby boy.
Several people said that she was too fat to breed, but, she proved everyone wrong. :D :D

Fleckvieh DPB":1w42m410 said:
hey dun
what stage of pregnancy does it work in? (to get the movemant)
and how high does it need to be held above the cow/heifer?

al

I've never tried it any erlier then about 40 days. A couple of inches up to about 6 inches. That's the way we've done it.

dun

Latest posts