Foot rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
We have a heifer that is about five months old that has foot rot.

What causes foot rot, how can I treat it and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

Fly-guy":37q517yo said:
We have a heifer that is about five months old that has foot rot.

What causes foot rot, how can I treat it and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

Everything you ever needed to know about this can be found in this book:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Well, you can put it in your chute and medicate. You can open the wound for drainage if you have a real bad case and then medicate.

Have you got a book on animal medicine handy?

Have you called your local meds supplier to see if they might have some meds for this?

There are several types that work fine and all you have to do is ask them. Everyone has their favourite and you will likely see several suggested here. Go with what is available quickly - this needs tobe treated.

By the way - with the questions you asked - how do you know it is foot rot?

Have you ever medicated a cow before? Needles? Do you truly know how and where to administer the shots?

If you would fix your dog at the veterinarian's office - I think you need to do the same for this animal.

So - probably the best bet from the sound of your post - call your veterinarian immediately and have him / her do it for you.

Foot rot can get real bad if left untreated.

Bez>

dun":2l3c7t02 said:
Bez>":2l3c7t02 said:

Bez>

Or treated inadequately.

:lol: :lol:

Of course I would never have considered that possibility - simply because that would not be our method.

Have a good one,

Bez>

Bez>":xuzrqf9i said:
dun":xuzrqf9i said:
Bez>":xuzrqf9i said:

Bez>

Or treated inadequately.

:lol: :lol:

Of course I would never have considered that possibility - simply because that would not be our method.

Have a good one,

Bez>

Too often people give one shot and see an inprovement and don't follow up with another when it's indicated tha the infection isn;t totally cleared. Happens a lot more then one would think. And foot rot can be so persisant and even keeping attacking it with LA200 doesn;t totally clear it.

dun":2uyhtvvs said:
And foot rot can be so persisant and even keeping attacking it with LA200 doesn;t totally clear it.

Hydrogen peroxide totally eliminates foot rot.... ;-)

OxyBlast":4a5ydz5t said:
dun":4a5ydz5t said:
And foot rot can be so persisant and even keeping attacking it with LA200 doesn;t totally clear it.

Not using it must protect against elephants too since we don;t use it and have never had an elephant on the place

dun":28r1jfxb said:
OxyBlast":28r1jfxb said:
dun":28r1jfxb said:

Not using it must protect against elephants too since we don;t use it and have never had an elephant on the place

Hello dun

:lol: Well you can ridicule all you want but it works. I am just putting it out there....

OxyBlast":xcxqgl2v said:
dun":xcxqgl2v said:

Kopertox works well too -- but I wouldn't say either totally eliminates it. We have had extreme cases where we had to remove a large chunk of hoof to get it open enough to treat.

farmwife":g1kuls0e said:
Kopertox works well too -- but I wouldn't say either totally eliminates it. We have had extreme cases where we had to remove a large chunk of hoof to get it open enough to treat.

Well that is what we are claiming. We have evidence(multiple dairy farms) that shows our product totally eliminates hoof rot so your livestock doesnt even get foot rot. Dairies that had foot rot problems before but after installing our product on their farm never had foot rot again.

Bez - sorry it has taken so long to get back on the thread. I should have had the vet give me a good lookin over when I took the heifer in last Friday. I've had a debilating case of the cooties and am finally getting over it.

The vet diagnosed the problem as foot rot, and so he put iodine on her hoof and gave her a shot. Unfortunately I didn't ask what the shot was. I failed to ask about when to follow up on her also - looks like I need to call him about that. She looked quite a bit better last night, shouldn't have checked tonight as she was limping on it again.

I looked at the on line book and it certainly has a lot of information in it. You might say that that it looks like a hay stack with a needle hidden in the middle of it.

Fly-guy":r7se8myl said:
Bez - sorry it has taken so long to get back on the thread. I should have had the vet give me a good lookin over when I took the heifer in last Friday. I've had a debilating case of the cooties and am finally getting over it.

The vet diagnosed the problem as foot rot, and so he put iodine on her hoof and gave her a shot. Unfortunately I didn't ask what the shot was. I failed to ask about when to follow up on her also - looks like I need to call him about that. She looked quite a bit better last night, shouldn't have checked tonight as she was limping on it again.

I looked at the on line book and it certainly has a lot of information in it. You might say that that it looks like a hay stack with a needle hidden in the middle of it.

Wondered if you would get back to me. Be advised that it is very common to have to treat more than once to get a cure.

One shot might only reduce the problem - not solve it.

Meds is an integral part of raising cattle successfully - make every effort to get on an animal husbandry course - your local ag rep or cattle association will know when the next course is.

Well worth the time, effort and money.

Ask your veterinarian what you need as a basic meds cabinet for your specific area - and find out how to use them properly - and then keep the fridge stocked. One thing I can guarantee you -this is not going to be the last time you have to help a cow with health probs.

Glad you're feeling better - let us know how it goes.

Bez+

Bez,

I went over this evening and opened up some pasture that is pretty sandy. Hopefully getting them off of damp pasture will help as I've heard that the dampness is hard on them. I will be calling the vet to see what kind of follow up treatment she needs.

Thanks -

Fly-guy":1spdgk5h said:
Hopefully getting them off of damp pasture will help as I've heard that the dampness is hard on them.

Yes, that will help. Another thing that will help is make sure your pastures are free from trash - wire, woven wire, tree limbs, old machinery, any kind of junk that they can step on and which will cause cuts/scrapes that bacteria can enter. This includes weeds growing around stock tanks that might be/have a tendency to overflow. I believe there is mineral available that contains iodine, and several members swear by it for preventing foot rot, but I have no personal experience with it. You might also ask your vet about long-acting sulfa boluses - we have used them to treat foot rot, in conjuction with penicillin, with good to very good results. I hope this helps.

Had two cases this spring...
We cleaned the whole hoof, scrubbing hard with anti-bacterial soap way past the hoof then cleaned the wound with iodine applied antibacterial ointment wrapped the whole hoof with sterile wrap then bandaged with "duct tape" to form a water tight bandage. Gave the animal a single dose of Nuflor, in these cases it was 64 ml. Then put them in the barn (straw bedded pen) for ten days...figure that when the duct tape wears off they can go out again. Both celared up quickly.
And that is how we do it at our place....don't do other folks but will help.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not....Dmc

I went in this evening and picked up 2 Albon Bolus and 8 cc of Tetradure for her. I gave her the shot and poured iodine on the hoof. I didn't have the tool for the Albon Bolus with me so will have to remember to put it in the pickup. The Tetradure antibotic is supposed to last for 7 days so I'll keep an eye on her and see how she gets along.

Thanks to everyone for the free advise, I appreciate it very much. Hopefully all the meds will clear the foot rot quickly!

F-G

We call that "tool" a Balling Gun.

I wrote this true tale when my neighbour helped me doctor a cow - just a smile and a warning for you.

Have a great day,

Bez+

--------------------------------------------------------

A couple of years ago we had an older cow that came down with a suspected case of hardware. She was a cross between a Hereford and a Simmental. She was a large girl and at times was known to have attitude.

So, we rounded her up and put her in the squeeze to feed her the magnet.

My neighbour Andy - he's been around cows since "Christ was a cowboy" - was helping me.

She was a little tough to handle in the squeeze so I put my trusty rope around her horns so she couldn't swipe anyone with them while she "resisted" the procedure.

While she was unable to move her head from side to side, she was able to move it up and down.

Me being the bigger and stronger of the two legged animals trying to help this old witch - I decided to put my shoulder under her chin in order to straighten out her wind pipe and make it easier for Andy to insert the balling gun.

I get this girl stretched out and ... well, she's a bit upset with us. So Andy gets the gun way down inside her throat and ... well, Andy is somewhat vertically challenged and I am a bit over six feet. So he has to really reach for the plunger to set the magnet free on it's road to a new home.

Well, he can't quite reach the plunger with his thumb while he is holding it with his hand. So, he takes a little jump and hits the plunger with his other hand.

Pop! He knocked the whole thing - gun and magnet down her throat! This gun is a real nice and far too expensive piece of equipment to see go down into the stomach of an animal I am rapidly beginning to dislike.

The look on his face was priceless! Pure horror.

Be that as it may, I kept her stretched out while we discussed how we were going to retrieve the darned thing. Shoot her and butcher her? Nope she's got a decent calf in the field and I am finished with pail bunting.

Can we reach it? Andy goes and gets the step ladder. Maybe it's only down inside her mouth a bit. All this time he is apologizing profusely and swearing he has never done something this stupid before.

Ever try to force a cows mouth open so you can see down her throat? I'd appreciate you letting me know how it went if you tried it sometime and were successful.

The old girl is now making my life somewhat difficult because the knots I tied were not intended to last forever - just a couple of seconds - and she is starting to get a bit of sideways motion going.

Now Andy is starting to feel her throat to see if it has gone all the way down - that way I can at least let her head down. This was a metal gun and I was afraid she would damage her throat if it was part way down and she bent her neck.

Andy is now sweating profusely, his voice is a notch higher in pitch and I can see a bit of panic beginning to set in.

All the time I am telling him this is my prize cow and I am terribly worried.

Even though I was having a tough time with the old girl, I was beginning to get just a tiny bit of enjoyment out of his discomfort!

Then, as if she decided enough was enough, the cow spit it up. I heard it rattle on her teeth. Quick as a snake Andy drove his hand down the side of her mouth and retrieved the gun!

Moral of the story?

If you have to work at great heights with someone like Andy, make sure you tie a string to the gun!

Best regards

Bez

Bez- laughter makes the best medicine for the sole! I need a good laugh after tonight.

I was on my was over to check on the "girls" and came upon a BAD wreck. Two young guys and one was burgered up pretty bad, so to make a gut wretching story shorter, ended up at the hospital with these guys.

One has bad chest and back injuries and was flown to Dallas by helicoper just a little bit ago. It's time for the Prayer Warriors on the board to pray for both, but especially for Tommy and his young wife!

Looks like I need to remember to put some string in the pickup for tomorrow night when I check on the cattle tomorrow night.

Thanks for the grin, I needed it!

Latest posts