Foot rot??? Help!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ive got a Holstein bull calf thats about 6 months old, hes Id say probably 400-450lbs. Anyway he's gotten to where he wont get up. He seems healthy, he's eating good and is alert but can't seem to get up. Im very new to cows and really dont know what Im doing, just kinda learning as I go. Ive been told a million different things to check, anyway today I check his feet and one of his front feet looks kinda dug out like on the bottom, almost like a crater, isnt busted open or anything but me not knowing much about cows was thinking his hoof should be kind of flat like on the bottom and not like this. Im not sure, please help!!! Does he have foot rot??? If so how do I treat it??

mississippicalf":2mn14acf said:
Ive got a Holstein bull calf thats about 6 months old, hes Id say probably 400-450lbs. Anyway he's gotten to where he wont get up. He seems healthy, he's eating good and is alert but can't seem to get up. Im very new to cows and really dont know what Im doing, just kinda learning as I go. Ive been told a million different things to check, anyway today I check his feet and one of his front feet looks kinda dug out like on the bottom, almost like a crater, isnt busted open or anything but me not knowing much about cows was thinking his hoof should be kind of flat like on the bottom and not like this. Im not sure, please help!!! Does he have foot rot??? If so how do I treat it??

Well, it might be and it might not be foot rot. Foot rot on one foot does not usually keep an animal down.

I am ill at ease to give you treatment advice on a "maybe" problem - drugs on a shotgun approach are not always the best way to go.

There are hundreds of things it could be - and obviously you have been told lots - a diagnosis over the internet is not the best way to do things and certainly there is a tonne of info that can be researched on the internet about this problem.

Have you consulted a veterinarian? That would be the absolute best possibility for a correct answer.

If not, when?

Bez+

There are many types of foot rot..There are a couple types that are mostly seen in freestall barns at dairies that actually eat away at the bottom of the animals hoof.

Your animal is down so there is no time to second guess,,get a vet out as soon as possible.
If that is not possible find a professional hoof trimmer in your area, if you do not know of one call some dairies in your area.
These guys (hoof trimmers) usually know every little thing there is to know about a bovines hooves and all the problems and treatments there are for them.

hillsdown":1gnyfnz2 said:
There are many types of foot rot..There are a couple types that are mostly seen in freestall barns at dairies that actually eat away at the bottom of the animals hoof.

Your animal is down so there is no time to second guess,,get a vet out as soon as possible.
If that is not possible find a professional hoof trimmer in your area, if you do not know of one call some dairies in your area.
These guys (hoof trimmers) usually know every little thing there is to know about a bovines hooves and all the problems and treatments there are for them.

And frequently a good farrier will know also.

Where are you located in Mississippi? I live in central Mississippi. Mississippi Serum can give you the names of some good large animal vets that you could call in central Mississippi. They are most helpful on non-emergency treatment as well. The number is (601) 372-8434.

dun":2s25z37y said:
hillsdown":2s25z37y said:

And frequently a good farrier will know also.

That is so very true Dun, sometimes they know more than a really good vet...As both these guys specialize in "feet".. ;-)

I think you need to call a vet . You just need a little professiobal help until you learn more .

Larry

Latest posts