foot rot experience

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Noticed I had a cow with foot rot. Someone told me to use 50/50 clorox and water. I sprayed that foot 3 times in 2 days. I was only supposed to spray once a day for 2 days come to find out. Well, this morning she looked worse than ever and didn't want to put much weight on it. So I looked for Nuflor couldn't find it and had to go to down to town to tend to some stuff and stopped by the vet on the way home to get Nuflor. Got it, came home drew up the medicine, went to get the cow and wouldn't you know it she was much better. Swelling had gone down considerably almost normal, color was looking good and she was getting along with just a little limp. Seemed she was on the mend. We went ahead and gave her the Nuflor. Got fussed at by the person who told me I didn't need antibiotics since they had used the clorox for years with no problem. I wonder if I should have given the clorox more time. ?? The vet did tell me that if the infection gets into the joint that is it, cow will be lame for good.

I know it's not labeled for it, but we've used Micotil on several occasions for footrot with good results, along with a shot of banamine. I don't make a habit out of it but I know some other locals that swear by it.

Anyone else ever try Micotil on footrot or have some insight as to why it should/shouldn't work?

cfpinz

The vet told me that Nuflor and Micotil work best. I felt better handling the Nuflor. So Micotil is one to be used according to him.

cfpinz":b9b1bw0m said:
I know it's not labeled for it, but we've used Micotil on several occasions for footrot with good results, along with a shot of banamine. I don't make a habit out of it but I know some other locals that swear by it.

Anyone else ever try Micotil on footrot or have some insight as to why it should/shouldn't work?

cfpinz

It's an antibiotic... so if it is effective against the footrot-causing bacteria, then it'll work, and cure the cow. Bacteria don't read drug labels. :p

milkmaid":1aqe7yhq said:
Bacteria don't read drug labels. :p

I'm glad to see that college education paying off! I'll bet you aced Smartypants 101! :lol:

:p :p :p

cfpinz

GO, i would have still given the Nuflor and probably a shot of anit inflamatory. Never heard of the clorox thing and if it worked great, but if the foot rot turned to an absess you'd be kicking yourself in the butt. Cattle cost enough without losing them to "tried" folk remedies.
I just did some cleaning in the house with water and bleach. No where near 50/50. maybe less than 10% bleach. and my hands feel it, couldn't imagine 50/50.
50% if that gets absorbed into the blood stream....?

In the hog business, we used to use 50:50 clorox:water and a scrub brush on pigs with staph infections. It is about 90% effective if you jumped on them early though we always shot with Penn G too and put the staph pigs together if there were more than one. You get 10 or 20 of them to treat and it is a dirty nasty business even by hog farm standards.

Go to the vet and get the Nuflor. Hoof rot is nothing to mess with. We tried to use an Iodine and water bath on an animal. Our cow looked at us rather crazily and would not come close to the pan. The banamine and Nuflor worked for us.

I would say look at the results of the Nuflor and be thankful it did what it was made to do.

IMO Exenel works better. It usually is a little cheaper to buy also. And even though bacteria cannot read a lable you should. Some antibiotics are labled for foot rot and some are not. You might be just peeing into the wind.

Kopertox.......Take a clean piece of small rope and put it between the toes/hooves of a clean foot, grab it by the ends and pull it back and forth a few times to clean the infected area. Then rinse with water.

Squirt between the toes with the Kopertox.

La-200 works great on feet and eye problems.

Works everytime in short order.

Tip: Catch foot rot early. The earlier the better.

Mike C : That is the way I treat. I use dip (the stinking stuff) use a squirt can to get in between the hoofs.
Agree it work in short order.

MikeC":399ln0rt said:
Kopertox.......Take a clean piece of small rope and put it between the toes/hooves of a clean foot, grab it by the ends and pull it back and forth a few times to clean the infected area. Then rinse with water.

Squirt between the toes with the Kopertox.

La-200 works great on feet and eye problems.

Works everytime in short order.

Tip: Catch foot rot early. The earlier the better.

I watched a vet do this and he said it worked great. He also gave a handfull of Albon boluses. I have never seen it befor. Anyine else.

Latest posts