Foot caught in a hot wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
I had a hot wire blow down in the wind and of course one of my cows had to go and walk through it. It wrapped around right above her hoof and must have got stuck where it splits. It swelled up pretty big by the next day. I have been treating it with Blue coat & Catron to keep the flys off. The swelling has gone down quite a bit and the cut looks good with nothing leaking out anywhere. I have given her aspirin for a few days ( in the grain I bring her)but she really doesn't want to use it much. She does not seem to be in alot of pain - she just lays around . She does get up and will walk away if I try to do much with her. (cannot touch her - not that tame)She does bear some weight on it. She is out in our back pasture & does not stay with the herd. I bring her food & water to make sure she is eating ( appetite is good) Before you tell me to call the vet or give her some antibiotics - she is out in the pasture & our vets will not go hiking through the woods to look at a cow that does not have a headstall near her. And I really don't want to use anything that has a withdrawel time on it in case she doesn't heal. I guess my question is has anybody ever had a cow with this kind of injury & how long was it lame? Or how possible is it for a wire to break a bone or something in her foot. I cannot find any sites that will show me the anatomy & bones of a cows foot??

From the sounds of things, I would be concerned with potential foot rot. I would stick her in the chute, squirt some iodine between her toes (and around the area the wire was) and stick a couple of sulfa boluses down her throat. Be sure to put a halter on her and tie her head around to one side before attempting this, they don't generally like this procedure a whole lot.

PS Caustic - roflmao - I can just see the look on your face!

Thanks for the site Wewild.Yes Caustic I did give animal aspirin powder in her grain - why? msscamp - it was a recent wire injury - not foot rot. And she is out in the back pasture not anywhere close to our chute.

Recent foot injuries have a nasty habit of leading to foot rot depending on the circumstances under which she is pastured. Injuries cause an opening in the hoof, bacteria is introduced from the environment, foot rot developes.

Flunixin meglumine is an anti-inflammatory medicine used much like an aspirin for all livestock species.
Let's see give one 10 quart bucket of BC powder and call in the morning.
Giving a cow a BC powder is like peeing in the ocean not going to see much results.

I had a cow with the same problem. Cut was deep and all the way around just above the hoof on one of her back legs. She limped on it for a couple of weeks but it healed up without any treatment and she was fine. Main thing I would keep an eye out for would be infection. By the way a vet told my uncle to give one of his old cows aspirin due to arthritis. He also put some in her feed and he said she was moving a lot better afterwards.

jgn":1258gwbc said:
By the way a vet told my uncle to give one of his old cows aspirin due to arthritis. He also put some in her feed and he said she was moving a lot better afterwards.

We have an old cow that gets a dozen aspirin every couple of days for the same problem, I just stick them in a handful of grain and slip it to her when everyone else has headed out and she can;t keep up . It runs about 1 aspirin per cwt and has made a world of difference. As soon as her calf is weaned she's headed to the big meat locker in the sky, but as a short term solution/bandaid it sure works.

dun

Caustic Burno":cufaqvq9 said:
Flunixin meglumine is an anti-inflammatory medicine used much like an aspirin for all livestock species.
Let's see give one 10 quart bucket of BC powder and call in the morning.
Giving a cow a BC powder is like peeing in the ocean not going to see much results.
CB, Are you talking about Bute? I used to know an Old Cowboy who lived on that Horse aspirin. Said it was the only thing that helped his Arthritis.

Crowderfarms":1pvs5y6l said:
Are you talking about Bute? I used to know an Old Cowboy who lived on that Horse aspirin. Said it was the only thing that helped his Arthritis.

Bute comes with another whole set of problems in people. I was on it for 6 months many years ago. It screwed up my liver, but it took care of the problem it was intended to treat and I could out run most horses over 6 furlongs.

dun

dun":2bs337od said:
Crowderfarms":2bs337od said:
Are you talking about Bute? I used to know an Old Cowboy who lived on that Horse aspirin. Said it was the only thing that helped his Arthritis.

Bute comes with another whole set of problems in people. I was on it for 6 months many years ago. It screwed up my liver, but it took care of the problem it was intended to treat and I could out run most horses over 6 furlongs.

dun
The fellow I knew Died 2 weeks ago, He always thought if it worked for a Horse, it would work for him. He had bad Liver problems from taking a bath in DMSO, Horse Linament.He always got his Anti- Biotics from left over Vet prescriptions.Said the only difference between Human use ones and Animal ones were people touched the Livestock grade stuff with their bare hands. Human use was put in bottle by someone wearing a Glove. :shock:

He had bad Liver problems from taking a bath in DMSO

... he must have smelled something awful after that one!!!!!! I got a tiny bit of the stuff on my hands and my breath had the worst garlicky smell for days!!!

The things some people will do...

Although I have used the strong Absorbine equine linaments (Tuttles) on myself when I have strained muscles... got my brother's hockey team hooked on it ;)

TCFC (sorry to hijack...)

Kelly wrote:
I had a hot wire blow down in the wind and of course one of my cows had to go and walk through it

I'm curious, when you say 'Hot Wire', are you saying a wire blew off the power pole? If that's te case, asprin aint gonna help. Power burns from the inside out, alla cooked steak.

Dick

I know one fellow who takes amoxicillin whenever he gets sick...another who just opens a new bottle of LA200 and gives himself a shot. :shock:

I'll stick with the people drugs.

Well Kelly, want to tell us how yr cow is doing now?

Chack your drug box, you will likely find that many of yr meds are labeled for human use... the SMZ we buy is always labeled for humans... great stuff. :cboy:

Thanks for asking Medic.
She has healed real well & is bearing weight on it almost normal with just a tiny bit of swelling left. It doesn't bother her at all anymore.