foal with septic infection

Help Support CattleToday:

lukelangford

Reaction score
just finished up with our vet, we have a week and a half old colt with a septic infection in his knee. Was limping on sat, better on sunday.Today knee was swollen, called the vet. Vet said this is a infection in the joint of his knee and will probably kill him. Was a result of an infection through the umbilical cord. On heavy antibiotics, going to give it our best shot to save him. has anybody been through this before?

With calves, yes.

Put him on the strongest antibiotics you can get your hands on for at least a week, and cross your fingers.

:x I have a calf that is fighting the same thing, has been on
Batril, Nuflor, Naxel, gentimycin and pennicillian. So far, nothing
has really solved the infection. he is just hanging in there. The
farmer that gave him to me( was a twin) did not iodine the navel and the calf was laying in a dirty stall :mad:

had a heifer calf like that.... took her to the vet, put her on antibiotics and the vet cut the skin either side so we could squeeze out this horrible pus 2-3 times a day. calf recovered too, wouldn't pick her if you looked at the mob now. she's about 10 months now.

Yes had a colt several years ago with it. We used warm compress on the area twice a day to bring it to a head. When it finally burst open it was like cottage cheese and smelled NASTY.... his was on teh back leg. I could fit both my fists in this hole.

I'll double check with the neighbor but I think we mixed bacon grease and powdered sulfa together. I know it was powdered sulfa but I'll have to double check about the bacon grease.

We cleaned it out everyday, a weak solution of warm water and betadine and then packed it and put vetwrap around it. Took quite a while for it to heal.

I had a heifer do that last year but it was right at the navel, the vet opened it up and drained it and gave penicillin shot, long acting. We had to drain it twice more and my cow mentor would squirt LA200 in the area and she healed up within a few weeks.

i think we have this beat....he's back to putting weight on his leg. It's been trying to see a week and a half old foal have to bear this. Vet irrigated the joint twice, both times pulling pus out of the joint. following through with massive dose of antibiotics, but he seems to be well on the road to recovery. Early prognosis has been for limited use to complete lameness, our hopes are high that he'll be fine. time will tell.....

I've been following this post, that is good news, keep us posted on the out come with your foal.

Alan

Consider yourself lucky if it sworks out good for you..or thats my experence...seems like i never had very good lucky with thiose as they develop..I never had to many but I dont remember ever having one that was %100. Good luck

Latest posts