New Foal Born

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
New foal born a week ago..our only one of the year.
dam is my 19 year old Doc Bar/Poco Bueno bred mare. sire is my buckskin tobiano stallion.

his first foal..her last...she is retired from breeding..

Meet Bella..shes a buckskin..dont think shes got any paint markings though..she will be a solid paint bred with APHA.

394x425.aspx

345x425.aspx

386x425.aspx

and one of jealous Delilah, my yearling, trying to weasel her way into the photo....its tough stepping aside for the new baby!
425x309.aspx

NICE!!! very well marked, 2 matching socks and that nice blaze on her face... lucky you!

I miss having the foals around! but as I have 11, (1 stallion, 1 gelding and 9 mares) and no inclination to sell them after they get on the place, my hubby says NO MORE! LOL

seriously, the market is so poor, people are practically giving horses away, and some ARE giving them away!

I refuse to breed them and then have to sell them like they are junk!

So... I will keep my 11 much loved horses until they draw their last breath!

dang... I REALLY miss having foals around! :(

lazyA, NO kidding!
the market is absolutely not thriving right now..even the upper end horse's prices have been hacked in half..

We arent breeding anything back this year and she was our only foal this year.

Peg, I dont think so..Ive looked and dont see anything..but then again, I had a solid filly one year and when she was about 11 months old, I discovered a bell spot !

She's as classy a filly as I have seen. How is she for straight in front. Make sure if she isn't that you keep her trimmed correctly. Good job!

She is gorgeous. Congrats.
My sorrel paint is supposed to be out of an overo stallion and mare yet she has no markings on her either except a very pale white spot on her left side. I do not know enough about horses to comment on genetic markings ,just know when I see a nice looking one.. :)

yep..alot of times I give the foals a week or so to "unfold" so to speak from being cramped in the mare..if I still see issues, then we address them with the trims to help her develop right. :) she did look alittle toed out, but Im not seeing it so much anymore..so we may be simply looking at her unfolding. sire and dam both are extremly good legged..the sire espc..this is an impromtu photo of her sire, Buck, from last night after I rode him.
425x343.aspx

We had a foal one year whose hooves were a holy mess..got him right after some good trims though! :) best thing for foals to develop right is exercise..you treat one like a hothouse flower and I think you have issues in the longrun.

hillsdown..Im told this filly looks like a minimal "splash" overo..which was interesting, as the dam is not even a minimal overo and the sire is a tobiano..but a friend of mine suspects Buck may carry a hidden splash/sabino overo gene..based on some of the edges of his markings being abit "roaned" looking. :)

Its always interesting..I now plan to genetic test Buck to find out exactly what genes he is carrying..as Ill be standing him to outside mares..Ive also wondered about his "black" status..his sire was a homozygous black and his dam was a buckskin..

Ive also got a pony mare I need to genetic test for homozygousity..so Ill be donating alot of money to UC davis shortly!

Sarah

The stallion may also be Rabicno..I say this because of the white I see on the tail dock.. He's a real beauty with good bone and feet..Does he have a white bottem lip? That's a Sabino trait.

peg4x4":yt0gi26b said:
The stallion may also be Rabicno..I say this because of the white I see on the tail dock.. He's a real beauty with good bone and feet..Does he have a white bottem lip? That's a Sabino trait.

yep, he certainly could be..so many of the different patterns.. can also look like other patterns..

yes, he does have a white bottomlip and it runs in a thin line up to his jowel.

big plus to this horse is his bone, feet and disposition..he would try to jump the moon if you asked it of him..very much a people pleaser type horse.

thanks hillsdown. he is my husband's horse, we've owned him since he was a weanling. I told my husband Id not own another stallion, unless it had impeccable manners..I got hurt by a stallion years ago..sucker picked me up by the shoulder, shook me and dropped me.

Buck has definantly reaffirmed what a good stud is. :)

That's just the colour foal I was hoping for - and didnt get! My QH mare is bay with baldy face and socks behind. The palamino QH stallion has baldy face and socks behind.......the filly foal is plain bay with a small star - not even a sock to be seen!
The same mare has had foals with stockings and blazes by stallions with less white than this fellow has. Was so hoping for that buckskin! Congratulations and hope she turns out well for you.

thanks Jill. :) she gave me a scare this past weekend..her hind legs stocked up from the fetlock down and she was sore..got nervous about joint ill..vet looked, said no, she probably just got stepped on..as she wants to lay near the roundbale all the time. :)

Swelling is down this am, shes moving better and no temp..thankfully!

some more photos from the other day

258x425.aspx

I dont know what she was doiing in this photo..looks like a nose blow or something
425x322.aspx

Long Eyelashes
368x425.aspx

I shall eat this dish, for it contains more grain, I know it!
299x425.aspx