Standy to muck around with

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Picked up this OTT standy about a month ago. He's an 8yo who's about the 14.3/15hh mark, a little small for me maybe (5'6"). He was retired due to his owners having a falling out so as he stands he has a clean bill of health and fitness. Quiet as but fortunately in saddle he is neither forward moving or a plodder, just obedient. Before I took him the stables had been doing saddle work with him (as part of his pacing training) and had a 14yo girl riding him regularly. The more I'm reading the more I've realised I've been pretty lucky with him. He's not flat backed or long bodied at all. In saddle he doesn't flow straight to a canter BUT he also is reluctant to pace. So I think with some work he'll be fine. I was going to wait until I got home to post but I had some ok photos so I thought I'd post them. He's on irrigated grass at the moment and putting on weight so he should be a different horse by the time I get home! I was a bit worried because I haven't had a lot of experience with horses but I talked to some very competent and experienced trainers and riders who all say that considering how I am with horses and how quick I pick things up I will be fine. Also means I have plenty of people to ask for advice!

148410_10150126055828642_518128641_7901587_4003119_n.jpg

154517_10150126055903642_518128641_7901588_272033_n.jpg

149288_10150126056003642_518128641_7901589_644795_n.jpg

So if he is reluctant to pace does that mean he was a pacer? What is a Standy? Gives us some info. I am wondering if you are considering pacing the same thing we call it.

years ago there was a program to place some of these standardbreds into 4-H programs and I remember kids riding pacers, looked pretty funny. Thoses standardbreds are actually pretty good horses.

hayray, yes, I looked into it for myself when I was a 4-her..one of my friends adopted one..he was a mean little barrel horse. :)

Sorry, yeah he's a standardbred ex-harness pacer. He's looking good at the moment, starting build up muscle along his topline and all over in general. Needs a little while longer to put on weight. The attitude change is probably the most startling thing. When I got him he was covered in scars after being housed in a paddock skint of feed with some mean mares which made him edgy. Now he's calmed right down. Very patient guy, tied him up for about 3 hours while we wormed, oiled and shod him and another gelding. Thinking he might be good for riding for the disabled which gives me something to work on.

Latest posts