FNH 40 cal

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
I looked at this pistol at Bass Pro and liked it because it has a hammer and double action trigger on the first round.Do you guys know if this company builds a good gun? I've never heard of them?

I have never owned one but it is a South African company but makes a lot of guns for the US military. Also makes handguns for the commercial market. Not much help but that is what I know.

It's basicly FN, Fabrique Nationale. They've been around as long, maybelonger then Colt. Can't figure out what the H part is though.
FN makes some of the finest firearms in the worlds, made a lot of Brownings and other models for John Moses Browning in years past.

I shot an FNH in 9mm a couple of weeks ago. I found it to be very accurate, pleasant to shoot and a very natural feel. I actually thought about buying one. FNH has a good reputation for quality, functional firearms. The only drawback is availability of holsters for it. There are some out there but there is not a wide variety designed specifically for it like a Glock or Springfield XD.

ousoonerfan22":3p10lou1 said:
Hoss,
What did you think about the trigger pull?
sooner, the trigger is not bad. Better than most in it's genre and price range. It won't compare to Kimber :cowboy: but for what it is designed for it is better than average. When cocked like a single action it is probably in the 6 lb range with very little creep and it resets well. In DA mode it is similar to a Glock or Springfield XD.

Yes,the guy at Bass Pro removed the guard and I liked the trigger.I thought he said on that first shot the pull was supposed to be 5+ lbs but I might be mistaken.
Do you like a hammer gun compared to the other semi-autos? I do but I'm used to single action pistols.

ousoonerfan22":aew2tz5h said:
Yes,the guy at Bass Pro removed the guard and I liked the trigger.I thought he said on that first shot the pull was supposed to be 5+ lbs but I might be mistaken.
Do you like a hammer gun compared to the other semi-autos? I do but I'm used to single action pistols.

I don't own anything from a 22, 380, 9mm or 45 that is not set up on a 1911 platform.
Never have to wonder were the safety, mag release, or slid lock are.

ousoonerfan22":20d52msb said:
I like exposed hammers for the most part. The FNH is no exception. I do own some Glocks and others that do not have hammers that I like as well.

Caustic Burno":2hegcqa3 said:
ousoonerfan22":2hegcqa3 said:

I don't own anything from a 22, 380, 9mm or 45 that is not set up on a 1911 platform.

CB, have you looked at the Springfield XD yet? It is probably the closest "modern" handgun to the feel of the 1911. I love my 1911's and I shot the XD last weekend. It has the same grip angle and the grip safety. It feels and points like a 1911. You should check one out if you haven't already. I was impressed. It is on my to buy list soon.

I have a springfield xd and think it is one of the best semi autos around. never had a 1911 but have had sevarel other autos and the xd is by far my favorite other than that maybe the browning hi power.

HOSS":v717t4so said:
Caustic Burno":v717t4so said:
ousoonerfan22":v717t4so said:

CB, have you looked at the Springfield XD yet? It is probably the closest "modern" handgun to the feel of the 1911. I love my 1911's and I shot the XD last weekend. It has the same grip angle and the grip safety. It feels and points like a 1911. You should check one out if you haven't already. I was impressed. It is on my to buy list soon.

Son has one in 40 and it is a nice gun, shoot's great.
By far my favorite carry gun is a Colt Government in 380 or a Star 380 SS actually prefer the Star better grip.
The only reason I have a 1911 in 9 is it is cheap to shoot and I keep the same platform.
There is nothing wrong with having a pile of pistol's to play with. I am a shotgun nut and have way more than any one man would ever need. When it comes to a pistol and the shyt hit's the fan and adrenaline is pumping that gun had better be second nature when things go bump in the night. That is why I only own one platform in a semi auto.

Caustic Burno":2yuxxk3n said:
By far my favorite carry gun is a Colt Government in 380 or a Star 380 SS actually prefer the Star better grip.
The only reason I have a 1911 in 9 is it is cheap to shoot and I keep the same platform.
There is nothing wrong with having a pile of pistol's to play with. I am a shotgun nut and have way more than any one man would ever need. When it comes to a pistol and the shyt hit's the fan and adrenaline is pumping that gun had better be second nature when things go bump in the night. That is why I only own one platform in a semi auto.
Which model Star? The wife has a Firestar, it's the only semiauto she can shoot without it jamming, even my AMT 22 backup jams for her. She also has little 10 year olds size hands. I had a Firestar in 40 and really liked it but I had a customer that wanted more then it cost so it left. I had a Colt 1911 in 40 (Colt maintained that they never made them, it was marked .40 cal, not 40 S&W). I prefer the Firestarr to that 1911. For some reason the Firestar 40 is actaully easier to control then the Firestar 9, also the recoil was a lot less snappy then the 9

My "go to" gun is my Kimber 1911 Pro Carry in .45acp. It is the most accurate semi-auto I own. Whatever you sight it on it seems to hit it. In the summer I will carry smaller framed guns like The Kel-Tec PF-9 which really has no operating controls. Just pull the trigger. It is small, lightweight and easy to conceal in summer clothes. In the winter when I have a jacket on the Kimber is always there in my Fobus holster.

I am not much of a shotgun guy unless it is a slug gun. I have a few scatterguns with the Browning auto-5 being my favorite. I have a couple of bolt action, scoped, fully rifled slug guns that will hang with any 30-30 for accuracy at 100 yards and really put the smackdown on anything it hits. The downside is what goes out comes back in the way of recoil.......they hurt.....bad.

dun":3n5wg8u2 said:
Caustic Burno":3n5wg8u2 said:
Which model Star? The wife has a Firestar, it's the only semiauto she can shoot without it jamming, even my AMT 22 backup jams for her. She also has little 10 year olds size hands. I had a Firestar in 40 and really liked it but I had a customer that wanted more then it cost so it left. I had a Colt 1911 in 40 (Colt maintained that they never made them, it was marked .40 cal, not 40 S&W). I prefer the Firestarr to that 1911. For some reason the Firestar 40 is actaully easier to control then the Firestar 9, also the recoil was a lot less snappy then the 9

It is the 380 SS the model was used by the Luftwaffe (sp)
http://www.ontargetgunsnh.com/IMG_1695.JPG

HOSS":10bczv0o said:
My "go to" gun is my Kimber 1911 Pro Carry in .45acp. It is the most accurate semi-auto I own. Whatever you sight it on it seems to hit it. In the summer I will carry smaller framed guns like The Kel-Tec PF-9 which really has no operating controls. Just pull the trigger. It is small, lightweight and easy to conceal in summer clothes. In the winter when I have a jacket on the Kimber is always there in my Fobus holster.

I am not much of a shotgun guy unless it is a slug gun. I have a few scatterguns with the Browning auto-5 being my favorite. I have a couple of bolt action, scoped, fully rifled slug guns that will hang with any 30-30 for accuracy at 100 yards and really put the smackdown on anything it hits. The downside is what goes out comes back in the way of recoil.......they hurt.....bad.

Hoss here in the thicket I hunt everything with a shotgun.
I have a model 97 that has killed hundred's of deer. I have killed over a hundred with it and I have no clue how many Dad took with it. I prefer a 16 gauge in a Browning or Winchester as they are on a 20 gauge frame, lighter to tote up and down these hill's. Since I reload I have 16 gauge buckshot in double aught 8 pellet's No1 Buck 16 pellet's and No4 with 24 pellet's. All my load's have been tested at BPI using 20 grains Unique 1 oribitor gas seal 2 1/4 inch card's double aught stacked 2x2 mix 47 buffer and rolled crimp. This load yield's 10,400 psi and 1260 FPS, out of an Briley I/M choke the double aught will put all 8 pellets in a paper plate at 40 yard's. Shot one year before last 63 step's all eight went in the rib cage six exited the other side.

We are not allowed to use buckshot on deer here. I can see it being very effective in your thicket country especially with the right choke installed. I have never had to shoot a deer more than once with a 12 ga slug. I have been using a slug for the last few years called made by Lightfield. http://litfld.com/wp/?page_id=14 It is a sabot hybred. It shoots like a rifle. It is brutal on deer and hogs.

ousoonerfan22":330yu8fk said:

I have studied the FNX, FNP 9mm line of pistols quite a bit in the past. I believe out of the box they are near 12lb DA and around 5+ SA. I like the hammer drop and safety when hauling it around, if I'm just plinking with the combat sights I generally shoot the first round SA as well. @

Latest posts