source of ammo--32-40 for Winchester?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":26sz5oey said:
Anybody now of any 32-40 ammo

Yep my house is well stocked.

No one makes hunting ammo anymore there is some slow cowboy shooting stuff out there.
I reload and make my brass out of 30-30, The 32-40 was the parent brass for the 30-30.
22 grains H4895 max load pushes a 170 grain speer soft point right at 1900 fps,
Dropped a spike at 85 yards like he was hit by a truck,

The .32-40 Winchester

By Chuck Hawks

The .32-40 Winchester is an old black powder cartridge that survived the introduction of smokeless powder. In its day it was considered an adequate deer cartridge, but it was superseded by the .32 Winchester Special.

At one time Winchester loaded standard and high velocity loads for the .32-40, both with 165 grain bullets. The latter featured a MV of 1752 fps and ME of 1125 ft. lbs. The major manufacturers no longer offer factory loaded .32-40 ammunition.

.32-40 cases can be formed from .38-55, .30-30 or .32 Special brass. According to the 26th Edition of the Hodgdon Data Manual a 170 grain .32 Special bullet can be driven to a MV of 1409 fps by 16.0 grains of H4895 powder.

The maximum load is 22.0 grains of H4895, for a MV of 1864 fps and ME of 1311 ft. lbs. At 150 yards the figures would be 1525 fps and 878 ft. lbs. Using the Speer 170 grain bullet, the trajectory of that load would look like this from a rifle with iron sights: +2.5" at 50 yards, +2.9" at 100 yards, 0 at 150 yards, -6.6" at 200 yards, -17.5" at 250 yards. The .32-40 is about a 150 yard deer cartridge with such a load.

Here is some you can hunt with.
Winchester made a run of commemorative stuff years ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammuniti ... rds=*32-40

ok--but I found some. And it's not for me--my brother has one he just bought, couldn't find any ammo for it and is bringing the rifle down next week when he comes for Christmas and he wants to shoot it.

greybeard":zi89f2uh said:
ok--but I found some. And it's not for me--my brother has one he just bought, couldn't find any ammo for it and is bringing the rifle down next week when he comes for Christmas and he wants to shoot it.

Make dam sure it is one designed for smokeless powder.

CB, that's not quite what I paid for it. I think I gave 275.00 for it a couple years ago. I shot a couple rounds thru it and put it up.

M5farm":37sjr0sv said:
CB, that's not quite what I paid for it. I think I gave 275.00 for it a couple years ago. I shot a couple rounds thru it and put it up.

Devaluation no one except really old crusty geezers shot em anymore.
Be careful Kenny will try and horse trade you out of it.

greybeard":2gkfhb05 said:
What do ya think M5--$500 for shipping down to CB's place sound about right?

I would be dead before I could pickup enough aluminum cans to pay that.
Sees M5 I lives on the poor side of the hill in a tin shack back in woods.
To go huntin from here we have go towards town.
GB can't understands livin down in that flat land with all them rich folk.

Caustic Burno":3m6uq7rj said:
greybeard":3m6uq7rj said:
What do ya think M5--$500 for shipping down to CB's place sound about right?

I would be dead before I could pickup enough aluminum cans to pay that.
Sees M5 I lives on the poor side of the hill in a tin shack back in woods.
To go huntin from here we have go towards town.
GB can't understands livin down in that flat land with all them rich folk.

There is a bit of truth in that I guess. As poor as I am CB, I'm considered the "rich folk" around here simply because my house don't have wheels, the washing machine is inside and still works, my cows actually have something besides yaupon and holly leaves to eat after 1st frost, and my truck is less than 15 years old and still has all the windows in it. That's considered cuttin a fat hog in the butt here in South San Jac county.

Brother was down last week, brought his rifle and the reload setup he had bought, and reloaded some 30-30 for this rifle and we put a few rounds thru it.
What a sweet rifle!! I thought it would have more recoil than it did, but nope, and the action was nice and smooth.
I may have to go find me one now..

greybeard":p0hhglgu said:
Brother was down last week, brought his rifle and the reload setup he had bought, and reloaded some 30-30 for this rifle and we put a few rounds thru it.
What a sweet rifle!! I thought it would have more recoil than it did, but nope, and the action was nice and smooth.
I may have to go find me one now..

In a rifle that is my absolute favorite round.
Extremely accurate and virtually no recoil, it is a deer and hog's nightmare
out to 150 yards.
I have been looking for one in a Marlin 93.

Latest posts