fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a dream for fly control. I have a central watering point that my cows/calves come to every evening, I want to narrow the entry to about 4'-5' and put an arch over this entry/exit with hoses and a few spray nozzles strategically pointed that are connected to a 15 gallon spot sprayer (about $80) that I can switch on then calmly run the cattle out of the area through the fly spray. Has anyone else tried this?
edit- I know this would not work for large operations, but I think it would be feasible for us small producers with 10-20 animals.

ohiosteve":1wv6p1fs said:
I have a dream for fly control. I have a central watering point that my cows/calves come to every evening, I want to narrow the entry to about 4'-5' and put an arch over this entry/exit with hoses and a few spray nozzles strategically pointed that are connected to a 15 gallon spot sprayer (about $80) that I can switch on then calmly run the cattle out of the area through the fly spray. Has anyone else tried this?
edit- I know this would not work for large operations, but I think it would be feasible for us small producers with 10-20 animals.

I've thought of this too. But my idea was to go high tech and use motion detectors to activate so I don't have to be there :help: :lol2: . Hey, it doesn't hurt to use the ole bean.
Really, my cattle; (and I only have 16 mommas plus 5 calves that hit the ground in the last 6 days), they have gotten accustomed to me spraying them. Last year, I was spraying as needed (about every 3-4 weeks). This year the flys were so bad I was spraying them once a week. Sometimes I skipped a week. I also started using the Purina Wind and Rain and one of those expensive tubs with fly control in early spring. (I cant ever remember those abbreviations, but I do notice a difference this year because I wasn't using them last year). I pour out 50 pounds of a receiving ration amongst two 12 foot troughs. While they are enjoying their treat, I do my thing. They don't even flinch anymore. You can't train a cow, but you can condition them to get used to certain things. I let them in to the yard to mow my nograss :( a few minutes ago, and they are looking at me wondering where that cool spray is. Flies seem to be under control now. Maybe the heat and lack of rain?????? I don't know. But it's been 11 days since I've sprayed, and I don't see enough flies to warrant my time, chemical, feed and etc. So, I'm planning on a 2 to 3 week schedule now.

ohiosteve":17bza7gx said:
Steve we use to use a very similar system with our dairy cattle as the exited the parlor. There were 3 spray nozzles on each side and two on the top. They system had an electronic eye that triggered the spray as the cattle began to walk thru. Worked very well but like all other things it was not 100% effective. If there are any dairy supply businesses in your area I'm sure they can help you out.

TexasBred":2o2iwjo9 said:
ohiosteve":2o2iwjo9 said:
Steve we use to use a very similar system with our dairy cattle as the exited the parlor. There were 3 spray nozzles on each side and two on the top. They system had an electronic eye that triggered the spray as the cattle began to walk thru. Worked very well but like all other things it was not 100% effective. If there are any dairy supply businesses in your area I'm sure they can help you out.

Would cattle walking through this twice a day suffer from a fly spray overload?

We milked 3 times a day but only turn the mister on for the midday milking. Once a day was never a problem I know.

I was thinking about that system and the only feasible place for me would be where they would travel through at least twice a day.

Why not just use one of the mops with a reservoir. It doesn;t get very far down the sides but it gets the face (except for the little calves and the cows that duck), the top and part way down the sides.
Should have specified "in a gate opening"

slick4591":oumjw82a said:
I was thinking about that system and the only feasible place for me would be where they would travel through at least twice a day.
Slick, knowing they will pass thru twice, as it approaches the time for the 2nd spraying, go to the fridge and get a cold beer...then walk out there and turn it off for about an hour. ;-) :lol:

2 types of the mop deals. The canvas type (first one) is no longer available.
mop1.jpg

mop2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Dun, The one I have has way less strings and doesn't seem to get much product on the cows. Maybe I need to upgrade.

ohiosteve":299p88y9 said:
Thanks for the pictures Dun, The one I have has way less strings and doesn't seem to get much product on the cows. Maybe I need to upgrade.
I had to retire one that lost most of it's strings, that's why I have the new one with the hard tank on top

TexasBred":5u0g0hax said:
slick4591":5u0g0hax said:
Slick, knowing they will pass thru twice, as it approaches the time for the 2nd spraying, go to the fridge and get a cold beer...then walk out there and turn it off for about an hour. ;-) :lol:

I wished I could, TB. They are 9 miles away so it's a little more difficult. :tiphat:

dun":5u0g0hax said:
Why not just use one of the mops with a reservoir. It doesn;t get very far down the sides but it gets the face (except for the little calves and the cows that duck), the top and part way down the sides.
Should have specified "in a gate opening"

The mop is probably the only thing I could do, but then it's back to that twice a day thing. Just don't want to overload them with Permethrin. Speaking of Permethrin, I bought some pour on the other day and haven't used it yet. Does it work very well? Looks like I'll get out there Friday and try it out.

Ours go back and forth through the mop several times a day, been doing it for 15 years with no ill affects

Dun, we use the normal fly rub with face strips, where did you get the mop? I was looking and can't find.

Roan":3vnxdiwj said:
Dun, we use the normal fly rub with face strips, where did you get the mop? I was looking and can't find.
I got it at the local MFA store (Missouri Farmers Association). I've contacted the company that makes them (Franklin Industries, Monticello, Iowa) and I'm hoping to hear back soon with someplace on the web that I can find information, i.e. price, places that sell them, etc.

You can make an auto one easy enough. Use a motion sensor from an outdoor light. Wire that to a 12 volt pump. Install a small tank and mount above the pump. Use some 1/4 flex line and put some mister t sections in. Install a tip of your choice. Tie wrap the system around and above your gate entrance to whatever entrance they use a lot.

hooknline":bh8jd5iq said:
You can make an auto one easy enough. Use a motion sensor from an outdoor light. Wire that to a 12 volt pump. Install a small tank and mount above the pump. Use some 1/4 flex line and put some mister t sections in. Install a tip of your choice. Tie wrap the system around and above your gate entrance to whatever entrance they use a lot.
Sure a lot more complicated (and work) then just using an oiler/mop set up

Latest posts