fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred

Reaction score
what do ya'll use for fly control.... last year i used "double barrel VP" ear tags with a dose of "ultra saber", followed by another dose of "ultra saber" late in the summer.... gave tags and first pour on in May... last dose of pour-on in August.... i think the tags costs about $4.00 per animal and the pour on was about $2... total $5-$6 per animal... it worked fairly well... any suggestions?

We use the haircoat that nature gave them. We used to put fly tags in, and dust bags, but flies don't seem to bother the Galloway cows, so we just quit.

We use oilers that are hung across the opening into water points so they have to pass under/through them for water. We also use minerals with IGR. Also pasture rotation is an integral part of fly control

I'm Useing a pour on tommarow . But I usually use mineral with igr and fly flips on the mineral feeder .

xbred":1sojiq5r said:
"but flies don't seem to bother the Galloway cows, so we just quit"

bring him down here in July...

We have Galloway breeders in the south, I have sold semen into Texas, Mexico, and a few other southern states. They adapt better than most people think. I have been told by a old rancher in New Mexico, that his Galloways are out grazing during the hottest part of the day, while all the desert cattle are all piled up in the shade.
According to our weatherman, our humidity up here can be higher than the gulf states. Granted we don't have the heat and humidity as many days in row. The weather systems pull moisture out of the Gulf, and the air absorbs more moisture from all the crop aspiration between here and there.
Select the bloodlines that shed out a little more, and they will do just fine.
Our Galloways handle the heat and insect we have up here, better than our Angus.

You're weatherman needs to come to S.E. Texas in August before he talks about humidity.

CCRanch":3q4vxgt8 said:
You're weatherman needs to come to S.E. Texas in August before he talks about humidity.
That ain't no lie .. You will sweat lookin out the window . Hairy cattle don't sell well here . And I've seen brangus cattle sweat . Can galloways sweat ?

CCRanch":hkbywuzu said:

He would most likely melt in May much less August. Next drop him off in that Old and Lost River bottom or Pine island Bayou country. By the time he got through biting off a piece of air and skeeter's he would be singing a different tune.
I have seen Brimmer girls standing in water up to their heads in the bay to get some relief from skeeter's. I don't see Galloway's fairing well in that enviroment or the weatherman. I wouldn't consider putting a brimmer up north or me one breed doesn't fit all.

JSCATTLE":2hiyfpt6 said:
CCRanch":2hiyfpt6 said:
That ain't no lie .. You will sweat lookin out the window . Hairy cattle don't sell well here . And I've seen brangus cattle sweat . Can galloways sweat ?

Yes, Galloways sweat, the extra hair wicks away the sweat from the body. If there is any air movement, the haircoat acts like a radiator.

Under extreme conditions when even the Brahman influence cattle suffer, the Galloways would too. I have been to areas in the gulf coast, Missippi, East Texas. Our humidity can get just like you discribe, usually only for weeks at a time, and June, July, August time frames. It is miserable, just like you say.

I had a guy from southern Georgia tell me last year the humidy was worse here. I have never been there, so can't comment.

I am just saying, that Galloways can adapt. I am by no means saying my herd developed up here could be placed down there and thrive. A few might, but I know most probably wouldn't. One would have to select cattle from a herd developed closer to that enviroment.

The same is true for the southern cattle, just like CB said.

I know my cows wouldn't make it up north . I wish we only had a few weeks of humidity . It's already hot and steamy here now . Our humidity starts on jan 1 and ends on dec 31

JSCATTLE":120d9w03 said:
I know my cows wouldn't make it up north . I wish we only had a few weeks of humidity . It's already hot and steamy here now . Our humidity starts on jan 1 and ends on dec 31

We already have legions of skeeters can't imagine what they are like down on the coast.

Caustic Burno":352i3klr said:
JSCATTLE":352i3klr said:

We already have legions of skeeters can't imagine what they are like down on the coast.
I was penning cows this morning and the mosquito s were so bad it looked like flies on the cows .off doesn't even faze them . It's almost like candy to them.

Plenty of flies and mosquitoes here as well, thanks to all the lovely rain! Army worms will be next.. but that's a different topic!

I fly spray my cows all summer, twice a week. I rotate the spray, from Elector to Coral. There's nothing I hate worse than a poor cow kicking and biting at flies all day!

TheBullLady":1a0t15ka said:
Plenty of flies and mosquitoes here as well, thanks to all the lovely rain! Army worms will be next.. but that's a different topic!

I fly spray my cows all summer, twice a week. I rotate the spray, from Elector to Coral. There's nothing I hate worse than a poor cow kicking and biting at flies all day!
I sure hope the army worms don't come early this year . We usually don't see them until late July or August .

We live in Winnie. The flys are terrible. We usually use pour on but may have to try a spray.
We have called the county to spray but so far we haven't heard the planes!!
Colleen

colleen":26okyzsw said:
We live in Winnie. The flys are terrible. We usually use pour on but may have to try a spray.
Colleen
Flies are horrible here too . I've had to spray already . I've been rotating my pastures and it seems to help . You can walk through the pasture a few days after the cows and the flies are horrible .

JSCATTLE":m9229egs said:
colleen":m9229egs said:
Colleen
Flies are horrible here too . I've had to spray already . I've been rotating my pastures and it seems to help . You can walk through the pasture a few days after the cows and the flies are horrible .

Same here never seen the flies as bad as they are this year.

A frost sure would be nice right about now. Knock all the flies down a notch. I dont see a frost happening though.