fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

Went to a field day put on by the university. According to their trial the XP 820 was a kick butt fly tag. 8% Avermectin B1a and Avermectin B1b =20% PBO is the active ingredient. They recomend one tag for 3 month control and 2 for 5 months on horn flies. 2 tags for face fly reduction.

Amo":25gbbv8u said:
Went to a field day put on by the university. According to their trial the XP 820 was a kick butt fly tag. 8% Avermectin B1a and Avermectin B1b =20% PBO is the active ingredient. They recomend one tag for 3 month control and 2 for 5 months on horn flies. 2 tags for face fly reduction.

Dang!!! I passed on the XP 820 today and went with Warrior, and Python Magnum.

This year we are going to have to change to Dunn's method I think he has the best one available. In the past we used vigilanti boluses and those suckers worked! But like most things that work well they took them off the market.

Gizmom

dun":jbmxhc7c said:
We use oilers that are hung across the opening into water points so they have to pass under/through them for water. We also use minerals with IGR. Also pasture rotation is an integral part of fly control
What kind of oilers do you use and what do you put in them? I have a couple of the 8 ft long sock looking ones with flaps hanging off it and just got a new oiler that is 6" pvc pipe a few ft long with a bunch of rope wicks hanging off it. I have been filling it with a permethrin solution designed for backrubbers. I've heard of folks using diesel fuel, possibly mixed with other products. I'm looking for the best product to use for the money.

We use permectrin and diesel mixed as for backrubbers.
The deals we used in the past have mostly rotted and leak now, just got one of the PVC/mop types but haven;t set it up yet. We set up entry areas at the water points that they have to go through to get to water and hang the mops there.

dun":xcjmv9ix said:
The deals we used in the past have mostly rotted and leak now, just got one of the PVC/mop types but haven;t set it up yet. We set up entry areas at the water points that they have to go through to get to water and hang the mops there.

When you say "entry areas", how big of entry way are you using? Something single file that wipes down the cattle's sides as well as back? Or the typical 8-10 foot long "back rubber"?
I'm curious because I'm changing things this year. I just drilled another water well, and am running lines so I can have fresh water in more locations, and divide my paddocks up more. Trying to keep them from pond (tank for you Texans ;-) ) water as often as in the past.
I've never had a fly problem before (YET). No neigboring land owners have cattle. Isolated, closed herd. I'm understocked right now, and I rotate often. This year is beginning different. Flies are terrible, dogpecker knats, skeeters, etc. In the past I've only used permethryn/diesil, and just sprayed them every 2 to 4 weeks. This year I started IGR in loose mineral and in the tub. Haven't been able to see a difference yet, but I don't have another "bad" year to compare to.

Ouachita":3myt9fr6 said:
dun":3myt9fr6 said:

When you say "entry areas", how big of entry way are you using? Something single file that wipes down the cattle's sides as well as back? Or the typical 8-10 foot long "back rubber"?
I'm curious because I'm changing things this year. I just drilled another water well, and am running lines so I can have fresh water in more locations, and divide my paddocks up more. Trying to keep them from pond (tank for you Texans ;-) ) water as often as in the past.
I've never had a fly problem before (YET). No neigboring land owners have cattle. Isolated, closed herd. I'm understocked right now, and I rotate often. This year is beginning different. Flies are terrible, dogpecker knats, skeeters, etc. In the past I've only used permethryn/diesil, and just sprayed them every 2 to 4 weeks. This year I started IGR in loose mineral and in the tub. Haven't been able to see a difference yet, but I don't have another "bad" year to compare to.
The entry is a 3-4 foot wide "gate opening" The mops have strands (like an old fashioned floor mop) that hang down a foot or so that mop the top and down part way on the cows sides as they walk through

anyone used a cowbuddy? i've never been around one, just saw it on the web today. its basically a piece of c channel with nylon ropes strung through it, the channel is filled with insecticide and mounted over an entry. i like the fact the ropes are longer and will treat cows and calves.

I too have been having some issues with horned flies. I have been trying a permethrin spray the last week with mixed results. Our weather has been erratic so I am unsure if that has been more the culprit. What kind of results can I expect with permethrin? What is the best method of application? Thanks

jayhawker":tk357ls6 said:
I too have been having some issues with horned flies. I have been trying a permethrin spray the last week with mixed results. Our weather has been erratic so I am unsure if that has been more the culprit. What kind of results can I expect with permethrin? What is the best method of application? Thanks

Last year I used Permectrin CDS and at first it was lasting 3 to 4 weeks, but towards the later part of the summer it was only lasting a week or ten days. We just started out with it again this year and so far it's working well. We may have to change up in the middle of summer to something else, not sure what though.

I have a question for y'all . . . . I have, ready to set up, the fly rubs with the danglies, that you cover with Permectrin and diesel. My question is, can they over-use that? I've got street sweeper brushes/scratchers to put up, also, and was thinking I'd hang the fly rub between posts that the brushes are mounted on. The cattle will constantly be on the brushes -- so will they over-do fly control?

Kathie in Thorp":1e8w5jrj said:
I have a question for y'all . . . . I have, ready to set up, the fly rubs with the danglies, that you cover with Permectrin and diesel. My question is, can they over-use that? I've got street sweeper brushes/scratchers to put up, also, and was thinking I'd hang the fly rub between posts that the brushes are mounted on. The cattle will constantly be on the brushes -- so will they over-do fly control?
I wouldn;t think so. Year before last we were so wet that no matter what we did we still had more flys then I liked. I would mist the cows and calves every couple of days with premectrin and diesel and never so any ill affects.

I'm using Durvet Permetherin 10%. I have it in a hand sprayer and mixed with fuel on back rubbers. The label says I can only spray every 10 days and only 6 times per year. Seems that there are very few flies on top of their backs, but now they have moved to their sides and bellies.

What pesticide can I alternate spraying with so that I can spray them every 6-7 days? (Beefmaster - if it matters)

Thanks!

I always spray the belly too. A 6 or 8 foot wand on the sprayer helps, to slip under them while your feeding them a treat. I have one feed trough thats deeper than the others. I use it when I spray, because they have to get their eye level below the trough to reach the feed, and so don't see me walking around with an 8 foot "stick". Works well.

Yea, I sprayed their bellies the best that I could....

Anyone have any suggestions on what spray to alternate w/ permetherin so that I can spray them every 8-10 days?

Been using Permethrin for years, seems to work the best. We always try to spray their legs and under their belly also. Only last a few weeks, but seems to work as well as anything. Tried the loose IGR in a mineral feeder, but the cows don't seem to lick on it.

We broke down and got the expensive Ivomec Eprinex and I gotta say it's great. We still fight face flies but we poured our cattle over a month ago and they are fly free on their back, sides and underbelly. A few on the feet and face but I have used fly spray on that occasionally. The flies have been worse than ever in SE Kansas this year and we were fighting a losing battle with the $20-30 gal pour ons. It cost about $170 for a jug of this Eprinex but it's been worth every penny.