Flush Brothers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I know full sibs can be very different. But wow when the numbers come back this different it sure makes you take a second look at the value of genetic testing.

The two calves I am talking about are flush brothers in AIMS you can get a projected EPD on calves prior to registering based on the sire and dams EPD's these two calves had projected EPD's of:

CED 9 BW 3.8 WW 51 YW 79 SC 0.85 DOC 27 Milk 19 EN 4.51 $W 43.94 $F 38.59 $G 21.84 and $B 79.84

We did GGPLD on all of our calves this is what the EPD profile is on the two calves after the test:

Giz Rainmaker C37 7009 6169 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...rtmWPybyQQIPMl6oih0UbjdTt326mfwzwN7M0La6kZQ==

Giz Rainmaker C41 7009 6169 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...Teq63TWMA9n6MJKhYc/B+CQgEn1eZDfTABy/vJyFo6A==

Now my question is would you use the C37 on heifer? Just throwing that out for discussion. We had planned to keep one of the bulls to use, if they continue to look as good as they do now. But figured we would need to use them for clean up on sale cattle since the BW was going to be to much for heifers. Now looking at the BW and CED on the C37 bull I have to say I am tempted to put him out next year for clean up on the heifers.

gizmom

Flush mates are no more alike than any other full sibs. Some years back there were a pair of split embryo clones. As they got older and their numbers came in, not only did they not look very much alike but their EPDs were miles apart. ABS had them but I can;t remember their names.

I just remembered, I think. GAR Convergence and GAR Consistance

GM,

I am probably not the guy who should pick heifer bulls for anyone else..but personally on our heifers it would not scare me, that being said I did see that gave me some pause on just saying yes for everyone.. The EPDS themselves dont scare me hasnt been that long ago that anything less than +3 on BW was heifer safe.. CED is good for me on Calving ease.

But ... here are the things I see that bother me alittle.

The sire of 37 sure has a fairly high bw for a bull with that many progeny... (over 1000)

The second thing is historically OCC cattle like the dam of C37 have poor CEM numbers..I have no experience with them to relate to..

Questions:
What was C37 s actual BW? Are the shoulders laid in nice and tight? If those questions are good then you are good probably... :)

Jscunn

Phenotype looks good as far as head and shoulder design. His actual birth weight was high at 98# but ET calves usually have higher birth weights which is why birth ratios on ET calves are always 100. We don't have a ton of experience with OCC genetics but we have used Missing Link on heifers with no issues and his CEM is -2 we have also used Paxton and Juneau without any calving issues, but a small sampling of these two bulls. All of the OCC females in our herd have beautiful udders are very deep with great capacity and very easy fleshing. these embryos were purchased so we really don't know much about the cow or bull other than the genetics and how the calves look.

Gizmom

Latest posts