Black Simmental flush cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Here's pics of our cow. She's 8 years old, being flushed a third time. 1st flush, froze 18 embryos by Built Right, 2nd flush, 20 embryos by our Simme Valley Macho As U. And in the process of being flushed to Hudson Pines Farm's bull Representative 58R.
This is her in her working clothes, nursing a bull calf here at our farm this past March:
Powerstroke_Cow_clean_pix.jpg

Here she is a bit FAT at HPF's where she is being flushed.
Powerstroke_cow_Pearl_pix.jpg

I, personally, think she looks better in her working clothes. With the excess fat, her tail head looks funky & she looks like she has a little more shoulder than what she really has.

I'm thick skinned - what do you think?

By the way, yes, she has produced awesome calves, here's a 2-year old daughter (which is a twin)
SS_Sale_3S_1_pix.jpg

Appear to have the qualities that every cow herd should have.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing I see is that I would maybe like to see her a little bit longer sided. But that could just be the picture.

Wish all my cows had that level of muscling and eye appeal.

Very nice Simmies Jeanne!

Have you tried JS Sure Bet on anything yet? We bought a cow at Grindstone Creek's sale that is bred to him, and I'm anxious to see the calf!

Built Right has mixed reviews down here. I've seen some nice calves and some mediocre ones out of him. Mo Town has some nice calves I've seen, and more bone than his brother, Mo Better.

Beautiful cow - curious who she is out of?

All this business of flushing heifers - I think you have the right idea here. Yes I agree I like the working clothes photo myself - udder looks better in production.

If I were still in the simmy business I'd be askin her carcass data and seein if you wanted to flush her to some of the 600U I still have on ice.

Only thing I can see wrong is she needs a white face!

Nice cow

Thanks everyone. She's a Power Stroke out of a solid black Tom Cat dam. She's hetero black & homo polled. Our sale manager, Doug Parke & ASA breed rep, Jeremy Ruble walked thru our herd & fell in love with her. Jeremy took the snow picture. They talked us into flushing her. Than HPF purchased the 2-year old (Macho sired) with a heifer calf on side. Doug put the coop flushing together.

Hfdchick - wish I had some 600U on ice. He makes GREAT momma cows. (and I LOVE crooked white face markings!)
BullLady - We saw SureBet at HPF few weeks ago at their sale. He profiles really nice. We LOVED their Representative 58R bull & saw several of his offsprings. HPF asked to breed her to him.
Bandit80 - she is a tad short fronted, but she is actually very long spined & also from hooks to pins - just so darn deep, it's deceptive.

Jeanne- VERY nice cow! She is the definition of volume and capacity. It she was mine I'd trash the professional picture. If you would have said they were two totally different cows I would have believed you. I always like your pictures, very functional looking cattle.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I just agree with everyone, a tremendous female. And fertile too! I also like the snow picture the best, and the maternal wedge on her is just awesome.

Jeanne-Simme Valley-

I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment of your beautiful BEEF female! Her "working clothes" picture is more representative to 'reality' than the professional one! ...and her depth of body and spring of rib creates the 'appearance' that she is shorter-bodied than she really is!

baxter78- The first impression that a beautiful phenotype like this cow displays gives an observer is that one should work to 'make it better'! Breeding this beauty to a Maine-Anjou should produce a "HUGE" feeder calf! TOO huge for today's need to raise smaller seedstock cows. Thinking "Phenotype is necessary, but "Genotype should be in the mix for profitable production practices.

Would make a heck of a BEEF animal, though! :clap: But cost of maintenance would be prohibitive for today's economy.

DOC HARRIS

Jeanne - Wow, very impressive. What a producer, awesome flushes. Of course I don't think you have ever posted anything here that hasn't impressed me. :tiphat:

Thanks again - of course, we post a pic of something good "hoping" to get compliments, so, yes, I REALLY appreciate your comments.
CKC - Miss Power Lass has been a real "fertile myrtle", throughout her career. She had a set of twin heifers (the one pictured). Raised both without help & bred on first try, calving within 1 week (sooner) the next year. Can't ask for more than that. HPF is THRILLED with her flushes. Makes their averages on flush day real good. She should be getting flushed this week, I think. We have embryos in the Fort Worth sale. Don't expect much since this will be her first "outing" on the sale market as a flush cow. Of course, we will PR her high selling daughter.

Doc, actually, the modern frame Simmental & modern MA make a tremendous cross. The "clubby" breeders use that cross a lot. It will produce that "show" style calf that will finish off in the 12-1350# range, which is what they are looking for. Clubbies have used our Macho bull for that modern stout look.
This cow is probably about a 5 frame, weighing about 1600#. Her other twin heifer is still in our herd. She raised a red bull calf, which is now on the NY bull test program.

What wonderful averages on embryos! I hope that when I start flushing, mine will come close to that. I'd be happy to average between 12 and 15 #1s.

Latest posts