flooding in ~Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
Saw on the NEWS tonight the flooding in TEXAS, hope everyone is OK and away from the water as it looked bad, take care ya'll and stay safe....Chris.

Had some elm and cottonwood trees knocked down in the twister. Some of you may know cottonwoods as alamo or else poplars. No pecan tree was taken out.

Got ANOTHER rain. I am not complaining. Whatever it takes. It doesn't appear we will all get burned out this year like we did in '05. The cows are off of the river bottom pastures so if the river gets out of the banks, it is okay. I'll patch the fences when it is over.

Let it rain!!!!! It is wonderful. I hate the people in Pecan Plantation got homes damaged but it is not nearly as bad as seeing entire farms and developments get burn up in wildfire like we did in '05. Those people who got burned out lost everything including their livestock. It was complete devestation. No barn, no house, no tree, no fence post left, trailers, tractors, equipment all burned and pastures of cows dead. It makes my wind damaged trees and fence seem trivial.

We got a lot of rain, but the wind wasnt a problem. Had tornados a few miles away, but it seemed like there was very little wind here. We did lose power for about 6 hours during the night. Got lots of rain, but not enough to cause bad flooding. Just enough to keep the grass growing good. Already knee high, and almost waist high in some spots.

We be lovin' our tall grass, that's for sure. :D

Alice

It rained all day here and till 10 last night, we are so wet this year can't get in thee bottom pastures yet. Planned to cut hay tomorrow predicting more rain this week end.

aplusmnt":jwxk4dwd said:
Over all is the whole state getting enough rain this year or is it flooding in parts and drought in others?

Well, Texas is pretty big you know, so there are several climate zones. I don't know about West Texas. I think everone else is going good. I am really thankful for it. You have to understand that we had NO rain last spring at my place from March pretty much through the fall. It was the same way the year before that. I am so heartened at the sight of people getting their first cutting of hay. Some folks only got one cutting last year. It is good news for sure. Green grass and fat calves.

Bastrop had electricty out from trees,but all ok now..All tanks are FULL,the grass growing,cows are fatening up,,sketters are doing very well,as are the fireants..I believe we've had 15in of rain so far...This is Texas,it may turn off at any moment..

There is a high pressure bubble that will be settling over the state, which means dry, dry, dry. TSN said that we should have at least 3 - 5 days of no rain in Texas b/c of it. Hopefully, it won't stay like they did last year and push low fronts around the state lines.

backhoeboogie":u89o9sgs said:
Had some elm and cottonwood trees knocked down in the twister. Some of you may know cottonwoods as alamo or else poplars. No pecan tree was taken out.

Got ANOTHER rain. I am not complaining. Whatever it takes. It doesn't appear we will all get burned out this year like we did in '05. The cows are off of the river bottom pastures so if the river gets out of the banks, it is okay. I'll patch the fences when it is over.

Let it rain!!!!! It is wonderful. I hate the people in Pecan Plantation got homes damaged but it is not nearly as bad as seeing entire farms and developments get burn up in wildfire like we did in '05. Those people who got burned out lost everything including their livestock. It was complete devestation. No barn, no house, no tree, no fence post left, trailers, tractors, equipment all burned and pastures of cows dead. It makes my wind damaged trees and fence seem trivial.

Now I know why you were so up on "T" posts in our previous friendly discussions on the virtues of fence building. I had no idea what the he!! you were talkin' about. I apologize for thinking you didn't have both oars in the water. Yes, I can imagine how devastating fires like that can be.

I just got another 5" of rain yesterday morning and lovin' it. Set some corner posts two weeks ago for a cross fence and hit water at three feet! I can't get into the fields now but that's OK. YES!!!

Caustic Burno":328xnhe9 said:
It rained all day here and till 10 last night, we are so wet this year can't get in thee bottom pastures yet. Planned to cut hay tomorrow predicting more rain this week end.
your wife is using her connections to keep you off the tractor ;-)

Latest posts