Flies... the never ending battle

Help Support CattleToday:

I put a mixture of pounce and diesel on a backrub which is placed at the only entrance to their watrer. Works good.

Same as Dun; I think rotating pastures is one of the best kept secrets of fly control. We use IGR minerals, bullets on the mineral feeder, backrubs on the waterers and I have to say, this spring has been the most fly free of any that I can remember.

What do I need to look for, as far as the brand name, of these minerals with fly block in them?

The flys are AWFUL! They just about exploded this weekend!

just go to your feedstore an tell them you want a mineral block with rabon in it to control the flys.

Even more generic, just ask for mierals with fly control. Doesn;t seem to matte rif it's Rabon or one of the myriad IGRs. They all work when used correctly

dun":uwwdxahg said:
Even more generic, just ask for mierals with fly control. Doesn;t seem to matte rif it's Rabon or one of the myriad IGRs. They all work when used correctly
K dun, whats the correct way to use these..so I dont waste my money and look like a dumb-dumb? :D

I

spinandslide":2i0dvobi said:
dun":2i0dvobi said:
K dun, whats the correct way to use these..so I dont waste my money and look like a dumb-dumb? :D

I

Sarah if you just have this one heifer I'd recommend a "pressed block" with the IGR (Methoprene) or Rabon in it. Just put it in a trough under in the barn out of the weather and let her eat it as she wants it. It's sometimes easier to get the consumpion you need to make it effective with the block than with a mineral and they'll have some protein in them as well and are not quite as pricey. Most of the minerals with IGR or Rabon will probably cost you around $25 per 50 lb. bag at least and going up constantly. Your local feed store should have them. Next year start using them about February.

TexasBred":3igtt8w7 said:
spinandslide":3igtt8w7 said:
dun":3igtt8w7 said:

I

Sarah if you just have this one heifer I'd recommend a "pressed block" with the IGR (Methoprene) or Rabon in it. Just put it in a trough under in the barn out of the weather and let her eat it as she wants it. It's sometimes easier to get the consumpion you need to make it effective with the block than with a mineral and they'll have some protein in them as well and are not quite as pricey. Most of the minerals with IGR or Rabon will probably cost you around $25 per 50 lb. bag at least and going up constantly. Your local feed store should have them. Next year start using them about February.
Thanks so much Richard! Would it be worthwhile to start her on the block now? Or is it a wash for this year? ETA-TSC has them!

Oh it won't hurt anything to give her the block. It will pass thru into the manure and hold down the number of new flies hatching. I'd go ahead and put some spray on her as well and kill directly whatever I could. Stockade Brand has a good Rabon block. Don't know if they make a IGR block or not. I avoid buying anything to be "fed to an animal" from TSC. (My problem I suppose). :oops:

TexasBred":3c643tdw said:
Oh it won't hurt anything to give her the block. It will pass thru into the manure and hold down the number of new flies hatching. I'd go ahead and put some spray on her as well and kill directly whatever I could. Stockade Brand has a good Rabon block. Don't know if they make a IGR block or not. I avoid buying anything to be "fed to an animal" from TSC. (My problem I suppose). :oops:

uh-oh...bad experience? I dont buy my horsefeed or cattle feed there...mabey I should check Atwoods, where I get my cubes?

Any tips on getting close enough to her to spray and not have her freak out? :D

spinandslide":wsdc4y5z said:
dun":wsdc4y5z said:

I

The correct way is to have it continuously available and insure she eats the proper amount. But, the feed through fly control is only one part of the deal. Sanitation, and at times a topical application of fly dope are also required.

spinandslide":2bt2ezem said:
TexasBred":2bt2ezem said:

uh-oh...bad experience? I dont buy my horsefeed or cattle feed there...mabey I should check Atwoods, where I get my cubes?

Any tips on getting close enough to her to spray and not have her freak out? :D

Don't use an aerosol spray but get a bottle of a good "ready to use" fly spray with a hand trigger and just squirt it on her. Shouldn't make as much noise nor upset her. Hopefully you have a chute or small area where you can confine her and do this.

I sprayed with Permethrin today to knock them back.

The bags of loose mineral with the fly stuff in them are $40 a bag.

There are tubs that come with the fly stuff in them that are around $10-15 more ($90) than ther regular ones, if you use those. I put one out at one place to see how they work.

I've had excellent fly controll so far on Herefords (tend to have flies on white eyes) with these rubs hung across a lane to the waterer. Just mix a couple ounces permethrin (sp?) in a gallon of diesel fuel, poor it across the rub and it gives excellent fly control. I added the "flyps" which hang down and get their face as they pass under. Simple external control. More consistent than ocassional manual spraying of animals which can tend to breed resistant flies. Key to success with the rub is placement in a location that cattle will pass through at least once or twice a day. I hate seeing cattle with flies all over. They also said to spend more time grazing and growing when flies are controlled. Less likely to get pinkeye etc.

http://www.phwhite.com/

I'll try to add a photo from last summer but have not been successful at adding photos on this site yet.

Brute 23":3fuoxsak said:
I sprayed with Permethrin today to knock them back.

The bags of loose mineral with the fly stuff in them are $40 a bag.

There are tubs that come with the fly stuff in them that are around $10-15 more ($90) than ther regular ones, if you use those. I put one out at one place to see how they work.

$40.00 per bag + $15.00 more for fly stuff???

I just bought 2 bags yesterday WITH fly control for 15.95 each. Perhaps you need to check with another supplier.

Latest posts